You may be interested

After reading and watching a clip, on here, of somewhere in Scotland, I thought some of you might like to see a bit of my neck of the woods.
The Gillies (Gillies Highway/Gillies Range Rd, for those who wish to Google it.) was an employment creation scheme during the Great Depression. It is now heritage listed, meaning there are restrictions on upgrading and significant changes, which is why there are no barriers along much of it.
365 bends and hairpins wind their way between an altitude difference of 800 metres, over 20 kilometres. It is restricted to single trailer operation.
The clip is taken from a bike, saving you viewers considerable bandwidth. :wink:
It may not be as high or spectacular as some of your European mountains, but it’s never been closed due to snow. :laughing:

Enjoy.
youtube.com/watch?v=-I8LUXpJeuA

nice road.
i played it at double speed though and it makes it more realisic. :smiley:

I went up there one afternoon a couple of years ago… B double, a couple of the tighter corners were a bit dodgy…I was looking for a back load that Blenners had organised…
About 2 mins onto the road I realised I was wrong but I still had to go all the way to the top to turn round. Lots of Jake brake coming back down (well you have to really, Don’t you ! ) Probably lost the best part of an hour… The load still wasn’t ready when I got to the right place…

Jeff…

Jelliot:
I went up there one afternoon a couple of years ago… B double, a couple of the tighter corners were a bit dodgy…I was looking for a back load that Blenners had organised…
About 2 mins onto the road I realised I was wrong but I still had to go all the way to the top to turn round. Lots of Jake brake coming back down (well you have to really, Don’t you ! ) Probably lost the best part of an hour… The load still wasn’t ready when I got to the right place…

Jeff…

Tully?

dieseldog999:
nice road.
i played it at double speed though and it makes it more realisic. :smiley:

I’ve scraped the pegs on more than one occasion. :smiling_imp:
It’s a lot more fun on a bike than in a truck.

Hello Star, I just wondered if you are Moz 42 by any chance. :confused:

youtube.com/watch?v=A9p9Cfe … jqK-7WOPUE

I had great fun going up and down there in the truck… I was meant to be at Packers Camp…It was the usual thing … " turn right when you get to" ( where ever it was ) … He thought that as I was from Tasmania I would be coming from the south. However I’d been up at Cairns doing a supermarket drop before the collection …so right should have been left…We don’t usually venture up that direction, only a couple of times a year…Pretty nice if it’s day time and not raining…

Jeff…

mushroomman:
Hello Star, I just wondered if you are Moz 42 by any chance. :confused:

youtube.com/watch?v=A9p9Cfe … jqK-7WOPUE

No, definitely not. If he can upload to YouTube, he’s much more cleverer than me. :frowning:

Jelliot:
I had great fun going up and down there in the truck… I was meant to be at Packers Camp…It was the usual thing … " turn right when you get to" ( where ever it was ) … He thought that as I was from Tasmania I would be coming from the south. However I’d been up at Cairns doing a supermarket drop before the collection …so right should have been left…We don’t usually venture up that direction, only a couple of times a year…Pretty nice if it’s day time and not raining…

Jeff…

I didn’t know there were banana farms there, I thought it was all cane.
Where are you and mushrooman?

It was bags of cane mulch on pallets for a mushroom farm in Vic, Bacharsh Marsh area. Not the best load for a fridge cause the bags were a bit bulgy and it was a back door load, with a manual pallet jack. I don’t know why Blenners were doing that as it was usually bananas from them , but some one would have been making a buck out of it.
After sweating for 2 hours pushing pallets I didn’t wonder why Blenners guys weren’t to keen on the idea, so I guess it got punted out to the next gullible fool that turned up…At lest they weren’t on my back to get it there in a ridiculously short time. ( Not that I’m saying anything about Blenners )…

Jeff…

Jelliot:
It was bags of cane mulch on pallets for a mushroom farm in Vic, Bacharsh Marsh area. Not the best load for a fridge cause the bags were a bit bulgy and it was a back door load, with a manual pallet jack. I don’t know why Blenners were doing that as it was usually bananas from them , but some one would have been making a buck out of it.
After sweating for 2 hours pushing pallets I didn’t wonder why Blenners guys weren’t to keen on the idea, so I guess it got punted out to the next gullible fool that turned up…At lest they weren’t on my back to get it there in a ridiculously short time. ( Not that I’m saying anything about Blenners )…

Jeff…

No need, we all know. :neutral_face:
So you’re a Mexican?

No I have 2 heads…

Jeff…

Hi JELLIOT, what does that mean .[so your a Mexican], not our uk speak ■■ not [Mexican pete is a bandit]is it!! as your answer is a bit errmm.[zb you] to star down under.
DBP

Hi Vic, how are you getting on…
Now this answer is very tong in cheek … a sort of culture thing if you will and it’s not meant to offend any one, and most Australians take it as bit of a larikin thing…
Soif you live in New South Wales… Sydney area in particular then you are with out a doubt the supreme leaders of Australia… You’re high culture and far above any other peasants that dare even look at you… Sort of like in the 80’s in London when the YUPPIES decided that there was nothing north of Watford…

If you dare to travel West … and we’re not talking that far … Parramatta used to be considered the outer edges of cultured society, then with out a doubt you’er a Westy ( a person of lesser cultural status ) Parramatta is about 25 k’s west of the CBD…
So you can imagine what it’s like to live if you dare to travel or indeed have to live in the cultural waste land beyond the centre of the universe…
Canberra is Fat Cat City and is it’s own entity, a place of debauchery and corruption…
Perth is backwards in time ( actually it’s about 3 hours )
If you live in Melbourne then your way south of the border ( Mexican ) .
and obviously if you live in Tasmania then you’re such a throw back must have at least 2 heads…

I assume that Star got that, and if he didn’t I apologise, and apologises to anyone I offended…

Jeff…

HA, Jeff I have got it just like every one used to dislike the O,one,ers,john,all the flash ,gold ,rings,kneck chains bangle mob from container world ,down south.I wonder if they ever knew,if you worked and lived north of Watford you would get it.
Is up their own arses just a lorry driver thing,or is it the general population in the Sydney area.

When I was around Sydney in the 1960s there were more whores,free girls,woofters,than any other port esp around the area you mentioned fish marketlol,tell them to remember their history pick their chains up and get on with it that will shut them up from a pom…
.dbp

Jelliot:
Hi Vic, how are you getting on…
Now this answer is very tong in cheek … a sort of culture thing if you will and it’s not meant to offend any one, and most Australians take it as bit of a larikin thing…
Soif you live in New South Wales… Sydney area in particular then you are with out a doubt the supreme leaders of Australia… You’re high culture and far above any other peasants that dare even look at you… Sort of like in the 80’s in London when the YUPPIES decided that there was nothing north of Watford…

If you dare to travel West … and we’re not talking that far … Parramatta used to be considered the outer edges of cultured society, then with out a doubt you’er a Westy ( a person of lesser cultural status ) Parramatta is about 25 k’s west of the CBD…
So you can imagine what it’s like to live if you dare to travel or indeed have to live in the cultural waste land beyond the centre of the universe…
Canberra is Fat Cat City and is it’s own entity, a place of debauchery and corruption…
Perth is backwards in time ( actually it’s about 3 hours )
If you live in Melbourne then your way south of the border ( Mexican ) .
and obviously if you live in Tasmania then you’re such a throw back must have at least 2 heads…

I assume that Star got that, and if he didn’t I apologise, and apologises to anyone I offended…

Jeff…

:smiley: :smiley: Yep, I was onto it. As a Queenslander, I’m very parochial, we live in the best State and we’re the best at everything. :laughing: No offence intended, I’m sure Jeff knows it’s the way of the world. :wink:
PS Jeff, you must be happy with the Roosters surprise. :frowning:

Well ,star down under we call it ■■■■■■■■, i rekon your a Pom like me and Jelliot…

peggydeckboy:
Well ,star down under we call it [zb], i rekon your a Pom like me and Jelliot…

Roosters… I don’t know much about roosters but my wife persuaded me to get a few chooks… but they didn’t last long as the Hoss Hawks took a fancy to them… Last weekend we went to the local WIRES sort of thing ( wildlife rescue ) where they had a lot of raptors ( birds of prey ) that had been injured and were being rehabilitated… Some of those wedge tailed eagles are massive… and the sea eagles are just about as big…

Poms… that’s something that has always amused me… The Australians call the Brits POMS when actually it should be the other way round… As far as I know POM means Prisoner OF Empire…( empire being spelt incorrectly M pire one would assume, trying not to sound too much like David Mitchel )

Being that it was referring to the British empire it would therefore be the Australian convicts ( who I assume they were referring to ) were in fact the Prisoners of the British Empire…and not the Brits that were prisoners of there own empire…A point which I am only too glad to take up with any colonialist that dares to utter the phrase to me… lol…It usually gets answered by a torrent of colloquial profanations…

You still can’t beat a cold can of IRN BRU…

Jeff…

Hi JEFF, MY, you must have went to some posh school, [colloquial profanations ],it would work as well as[ zb off you Aussie ■■■■ lift your chains up]
we AS SEAMEN used to get a bit of the[ pommie ■■■■■■■ ] but not a lot ,everyone one was interested in getting as much down their knecks before closing time…

it was mostly the dockers [wharfies] no doubt a lot of people from here ,did take advantage of the 10 pond pom scheme and were lazy before they left but most were skilled men ,and had to stay 2 years, even in the 1960s as a merchant seamen you were not classified as a required trade ,not ordinary deck hands ,maybe deck officers .and certaintly not lorry drivers, skilled mechanics yes they were like rocking horse ■■■■.

And yes the Scottish answer to a hangover irn brew and it does work medicine for the people… jimmy,

This time last year i was in PERTH/FREMANTLE for 3 weeks, FAMILY,i did get around to see the truck scene i had a very good guide…
cheers vic.

Posh school Vic… certainly not… I heard a bloke on tele saying " colloquial profanations" the other day…other wise I wouldn’t of known about it, got a lot of good mates that work as dockers… Top money if you can put up with the crap hours and office politics… no chance of getting in round here unless you’re family… or dead mans boots…

Jeff…