"You don't want to be here drive"

So I load 20 pallets of glass from Allied Glass in Knottingley to go to Meridian Foods, Sutton Scotney. Got to my drop at 8:30 for a 9am tip and my sat nav says to turn right up a single track country lane which I’d never get up in a 7 and half tonne never mind an artic.
I see a DPD courier driver and ask him if Meridian Foods is up there and he says," yes mate but God knows where you are going to park and it’s only a little thatch roof cottage!" I walk upto the cottage where a nice lady asks if I’ve come for them I say that I have and I have 20 pallets of glass on for them, she looks at me in suprise and says they’ll be for our warehouse. Not a problem so I go see this nice chap and explain what I have for them he then says," They’re for our warehouse them mate not here" I say," fine mate where abouts is that then" At this point Im expecting a slight detour of 5-10 mile, he then hits me with this," Oh our warehouse is in Wrexham!" :open_mouth: ," You’re ■■■■■■■ joking ain’t you?! :open_mouth:
Turns out Allied Glass have put the wrong address on the paperwork and my detour is no longer going to be 5-10 mile away more like 190 mile! Oh and they’re expecting it today :unamused:
What’s the longest distance you have been out from your delivery point due to the wrong address being given or on the paperwork?

When I was doing air freight, me and another driver were collecting mobile phones, I was loading for O2 in Wakefield and he was loading for orange in Banbury, I got to Wakefield and tipped no problem, he gets to Banbury and tips and has one pallet left that orange say isn’t theirs, after a bit of an investigation in the office it turns out it was labelled wrong at the factory and he had to take it to O2 in Wakefield. …all the way to Wakefield for 1 pallet and he had to have a night out :laughing: :laughing:
He still talks about it 5 years later

Before anyone says was it my fault coz I didn’t check my load, my load was correct

Brought a load of Bananas over from Zeebrugge to an address in Kent about 25 years ago, it was down a lane, up a concrete ramp (had to take a run up) & I stopped at a big house, knocked on the door & (looking astonished at the big lorry facing them) they confirmed that I was at the correct address. Turned out to be the agents office & the load was supposed to be delivered to Birmingham Fruit Market, that night.
Bloody Pen Pushers ! (Hadn’t put the correct delivery address on the paperwork)

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
So I load 20 pallets of glass from Allied Glass in Knottingley to go to Meridian Foods, Sutton Scotney. Got to my drop at 8:30 for a 9am tip and my sat nav says to turn right up a single track country lane which I’d never get up in a 7 and half tonne never mind an artic.
I see a DPD courier driver and ask him if Meridian Foods is up there and he says," yes mate but God knows where you are going to park and it’s only a little thatch roof cottage!" I walk upto the cottage where a nice lady asks if I’ve come for them I say that I have and I have 20 pallets of glass on for them, she looks at me in suprise and says they’ll be for our warehouse. Not a problem so I go see this nice chap and explain what I have for them he then says," They’re for our warehouse them mate not here" I say," fine mate where abouts is that then" At this point Im expecting a slight detour of 5-10 mile, he then hits me with this," Oh our warehouse is in Wrexham!" :open_mouth: ," You’re [zb] joking ain’t you?! :open_mouth:
Turns out Allied Glass have put the wrong address on the paperwork and my detour is no longer going to be 5-10 mile away more like 190 mile! Oh and they’re expecting it today :unamused:
What’s the longest distance you have been out from your delivery point due to the wrong address being given or on the paperwork?

it will be your fault though :smiley: :smiley:

Picked a box up out of Felixstowe in the early 90s for delivery in Norwich got me A-Z out found the street got there and it’s a tiny little side road so walked up n down it a cpl of time no firms down there so called the office to get a phone number or some guidance turns out some one had left the TH out of northwich

I would say that up to 70 percent of the addresses ive been supplied with over the last six months have been as useful as a chocolate teapot. The muppets in the office fixate on supplying the store entrance addresses as opposed to the loading bay locations, which are invariably on the other side of orrible, complicated one-way systems, or hidden alleyways, or even have to be approached from the other side of the town/village. No effort whatsoever is demonstrated to amend their pitiful, flawed “information” system, even when given the correct street names or postcodes, so i simply build up my own database to save the heartaches and migraines!

Such is the wacky, wonderful world of haulage! :confused:

I went to Oed,but had wrong Postcode. Postwoman did know. She came out when i stopped and said “Turn around there and its near Wiener Neustadt” Thats 3 Hour drive.
Funny Thing is that every Month go 2 Lorries from Portugal to that Address and every one got the wrong Post code,and they never change it.
Well,i got paid by Kilometer

When i was on tippers years ago i turned up an address with 24 tons of ready mixed floor screed it was early morning and the crack was to always try and get the 1st one of the day tipped asap to make a good day of it…turned up at quiet a nice house and pulled on to the drive at about 06;30.Got out and had a wander and looked through a wrought iron gate to see wheelbarrows and shovels in the back garden seeing as this was the only access point to the rear i shot the 24 tons right by the gate all ready to go and i had a flyer…Turns out this was the contractors lovely house the screed should have been in wembley and the only thing that should have been delivered to the house was the invoice :blush:

I never lifted the tipper until i had someone sign for it

How many of you will admit to going to the invoice address ?

Not going to wrong addresses but im good at going past Junctions on Motorways i want!!! :unamused: :unamused:

Done that a few times doing dock work with timber because they used to put it down as the shipping address.

Worst one I had was “Grange Storage, Batley, West Yorkshire.” That was it, the full address on the POD and the UPM Kymenne’s office on hull docks didn’t have anything else other than that on their system.

europleb:
When i was on tippers years ago i turned up an address with 24 tons of ready mixed floor screed it was early morning and the crack was to always try and get the 1st one of the day tipped asap to make a good day of it…turned up at quiet a nice house and pulled on to the drive at about 06;30.Got out and had a wander and looked through a wrought iron gate to see wheelbarrows and shovels in the back garden seeing as this was the only access point to the rear i shot the 24 tons right by the gate all ready to go and i had a flyer…Turns out this was the contractors lovely house the screed should have been in wembley and the only thing that should have been delivered to the house was the invoice :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: That made me laugh. :smiley:

Dan Punchard:
How many of you will admit to going to the invoice address ?

Yep, luckily was only about 8 miles away though :blush:

■■■■■■■:
I would say that up to 70 percent of the addresses ive been supplied with over the last six months have been as useful as a chocolate teapot. The muppets in the office fixate on supplying the store entrance addresses as opposed to the loading bay locations, which are invariably on the other side of orrible, complicated one-way systems, or hidden alleyways, or even have to be approached from the other side of the town/village. No effort whatsoever is demonstrated to amend their pitiful, flawed “information” system, even when given the correct street names or postcodes, so i simply build up my own database to save the heartaches and migraines!

No end of times I`ve been frustrated with delivery addresses where the store front is on a pedestrian precinct, trying to find the delivery point is somewhat annoying

peirre:

■■■■■■■:

No end of times I`ve been frustrated with delivery addresses where the store front is on a pedestrian precinct, trying to find the delivery point is somewhat annoying

16 years ago I was daft enough to win 3 points for doing this .

Dan Punchard:

peirre:

■■■■■■■:

16 years ago I was daft enough to win 3 points for doing this .

I had exactly the same problems 30 years ago in the UK. I’m a tiny bit surprised that the situation hasn’t improved. Only a tiny bit surprised though. I’m a bit more surprised at how quickly time flies :neutral_face:

chester1:
Picked a box up out of Felixstowe in the early 90s for delivery in Norwich got me A-Z out found the street got there and it’s a tiny little side road so walked up n down it a cpl of time no firms down there so called the office to get a phone number or some guidance turns out some one had left the TH out of northwich

Funnily enough, about 25 years ago in Northwich, a driver stopped me and asked for an industrial estate I had not heard of. When I looked at his notes he should of been in Norwich. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: He’d come from Felix with a 20 foot box :laughing:

billybigrig:

chester1:

Funnily enough, about 25 years ago in Northwich, a driver stopped me and asked for an industrial estate I had not heard of. When I looked at his notes he should of been in Norwich. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: He’d come from Felix with a 20 foot box :laughing:

In those days we were never given postcodes or if we did it was only the 1st first part, wasn’t till sat-navs came in where they any real use in full to us

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I see a DPD courier driver and ask him if Meridian Foods is up there and he says," yes mate but God knows where you are going to park and it’s only a little thatch roof cottage!" I walk upto the cottage

Good move and good advice for any new drivers, if the road doesn’t look right, park up and have a walk up there, a 5 minute walk can save hours if you get stuck