you couldnt make it up.

Was asked to do a Sunday delivery this weekend. I don’t like doing them but there was no one else, so you do it. Two drops. First one approx 20 mins from yard. Second one an hour from first drop. Back to yard another 45mins. So total travel time 2hrs 5mins approx

I left the yard at 5.45am on Sunday. I got back at 13.30. Just shy of 7 hours later. I didn’t stop for traffic or accidents. The rest of the time was waiting at back door. Best of it was the boss gets an email today saying that we missed our 9am booking in time and that this has to stop or there will be consequences for our company. The fact that I handed my delivery ticket in at 8.20am and then waited until 11.45 to get tipped seems to have missed their ears. Needless to say they are now fully aware of the situation and the useless turd on the back door may get his come uppance.

I am on analogue tacho so we scanned that and sent it to prove the movements.

I wont name names but everyone has the same story.

I assume (never been involved in that type of work) that if you are not unloaded at the stated delivery time that waiting time is then charged at the appropriate rate per hour? That was the procedure on tippers, we had to submit the tacho disc as evidence though. I read a lot on here about time spent at RDC’s etc, it must cost the customers a fortune in waiting time charges over a 12 month which I suppose gets passed on to us in the price of bread etc! :open_mouth:

Pete.

We get 2 hours on site then they get charged “demurage” our boss laughs and rubs his hands when that happens, even better when like today my drop at wallington has been canceled till 0800 tomorrow, I’ve done 5 hours work but get paid 10 and a night out boss earns a wedge for a parked up wagon win win I guess

windrush:
I assume (never been involved in that type of work) that if you are not unloaded at the stated delivery time that waiting time is then charged at the appropriate rate per hour? That was the procedure on tippers, we had to submit the tacho disc as evidence though. I read a lot on here about time spent at RDC’s etc, it must cost the customers a fortune in waiting time charges over a 12 month which I suppose gets passed on to us in the price of bread etc! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Not many companies charge for the time wasted, there too scared of losing the work!

windrush:

Pete.

I dont think waiting time is so common on general haulage, but on containers its a weekly if not daily expeirence/charge. I’ve also had the your driver wasnt there on time stunt, its to try and avoid waiting time charges. Our lot just send the customer/shipping agent or whom ever is responsible for the charge, satalite tracking records, which will have the accurate location on too.

Young_AL:
We get 2 hours on site then they get charged “demurage” our boss laughs and rubs his hands when that happens, even better when like today my drop at wallington has been canceled till 0800 tomorrow, I’ve done 5 hours work but get paid 10 and a night out boss earns a wedge for a parked up wagon win win I guess

I had that happen last year, pulled up at Bedford about 1200hr, for a 1300hr booking, the customer actualy had it booked for 0800hr the following day, and as they had a de vanning crew booked for the morning and not onsite at that time They turned me away. It mustve been the agents mistake because My lot told Me to park up out off the way til the Morning, I found a corner shop which allowed me to have new notes faxed over, and went back the next morning having been no further than 5 miles away, the boss charged for a 200 mile round trip :wink: thats when being paid a fixed day rate comes into its own :wink:

Waiting around for couple of hours here and there is just par for the course, some you win some you lose… Thats the job.

Young_AL:

That seems fair, I fail to understand how firms can have drivers (usually hourly paid as well) hanging around costing them money but getting nothing back in return. Not good for business or profit margins! :confused: However years ago we spent hours at tarmac plants while waiting to load and that was unpaid (if the driver was on hours it was OK for them, but very few were) so nothing new really I suppose? :unamused: Everybodies whipping boys the hauliers. :frowning:

Pete.

I’m allowed two hours to be tipped, provided I arrived on time then I get £35 an hour demurrage after that.

Saaamon:
Waiting around for couple of hours here and there is just par for the course, some you win some you lose… Thats the job.

Thats true enough, but all the better if you win more than you lose :wink:

Saaamon:

Agreed, I just thought things might have changed since my day. Obviously not, then again we never read on here about drivers getting tipped early so maybe it’s not that bad all the time! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Saaamon:

agreed but to be told we were late and threaten the company for their inefficiency is poor

midlifetrucker:

Saaamon:

agreed but to be told we were late and threaten the company for their inefficiency is poor

Certainly wasn’t a dig.