York Trailers .

I remember York trailers as being well built and robust trailers , why did they stop building trailers and the various other engineering activities , 3rd axle conversions etc .?

To keep the rain out, and the load on.

Sorry. Can’t help myself sometimes.

Nicely edited post, OP to make me look stupid.

shugg:
I remember York trailers as being well built and robust trailers , why did they stop building trailers and the various other engineering activities , 3rd axle conversions etc .?

Smiles for Miles had several 6 wheeler LAD cabbed tippers B Regs, They had the York axles on them they were great on soft going surfaces Each side worked seperatly, Regards Larry.

This is a fine example of a York Trailer we ran for a long time, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This is a fine example of a York Trailer we ran for a long time, Regards Larry.

Did it have York axles Larry or them TEC/Hendricksons?

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This is a fine example of a York Trailer we ran for a long time, Regards Larry.

Yorks own, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Run a York few yrs ago it had them TEC axles on,brakes was poor,swapped all 3 axles for rubery owens,parts half the price and got brakes into the bargain!

I worked for United Carriers (or Soverign Distrubition to be exact) when they owned York trailers remember doing some test runs for them on the extending A frame drawbar trailers they were building in house for the company, about ‘87 or ‘88 IIRC. The object was to have 50 foot of cargo space via 2x25’ demountables which was a conciderable advantage over an artic semi-trailer and in those days the 60’ overall permitted length could be driven on a class 3 licence, all changed now.

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:
This is a fine example of a York Trailer we ran for a long time, Regards Larry.

Run a York few yrs ago it had them TEC axles on,brakes was poor,swapped all 3 axles for rubery owens,parts half the price and got brakes into the bargain!

This one we ran was made in 1972, the brakes were no bother at all, We went on to convert to a triaxle so as to run at 38 T. With this Roadtrain, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:

Lawrence Dunbar:
1This is a fine example of a York Trailer we ran for a long time, Regards Larry.

This one we ran was made in 1972, the brakes were no bother at all, We went on to convert to a triaxle so as to run at 38 T. With this Roadtrain, Regards Larry.

Nice outfit Larry,like the additional “proper” Leyland badge on front,ta,Pete

I used York trailers about 1963/4 single axle you had to watch them the axle was very far back and they would chop corners if you did not give yourself a exta foot or 2on the turn I also drove the 50ft extender with a sixty five foot steel girder it went over the cab and. Stuck out at the back the only artic man we had was off sick but because I had 2days tuition on the docks I was nominated for the job I was 23and my second man was 17 I tookit on a Saturday to Bury St Edmunds got there and back in one piece my street cred zoomed and a week later I got a new TKBedford and I was a artic drivers simples

This was another old York Trailer we used, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This was another old York Trailer we used, Regards Larry.

Knock out back end Larry? mate of mine had one to move his steam roller bloody hard work with jack never mind lumping the wheels in and out,ta,Pete

Out of my first 25 semi trailers 19 of them were York,15 came brand new and I bought 4 LD’s in near new condition,8 of the 19 were the SL casstelated “diamond” chassis which were built at Yorks Corby factory the LD’s came out of their new factory at Northallerton.I did buy a number of other Yorks in later years some secondhand LD’s and in one particular instance I needed four 33 footers for a nightly trunk we ran from a factory in Morecambe to carriers in East London.I managed to buy 3 brand new 33ft LD’s,which were about 3 years old and had been abandoned at the back of a nissan hut in Carnforth as unsaleable when the dealer packed up.Now they were one hell of a deal !! the firm that had been trying to flog them couldn’t believe their luck to come across someone that wanted all three,even though I bid them “in the Bollox” they were happy to accept and see the back of them :wink: The fourth 33 footer was actually a PSK SL34 which had locks for a 20ft and 30 ft box.When eventually the London trunk job finished after about 6 years I had the 3 LD’s lengthened to 40ft,shot blasted and resprayed,they were then just like new.They hadn’t been killed with work as they only had averaged about one round trip to London and back per week during their first life.Cheers Bewick.PS as to the reason why I stopped buying new York trailers is for another post :blush:

Come on Dennis spill the beans,my guess is a prick of a salesman!,ta,Pete

I had 30ft single axle when I was on for Jack Campbell bit of a pain on tight corners but I loved the diamonds on the chassis it was handy for the steel timbers saved havin to move them about if you were on pallets. Eddie.

No that wasn’t the reason Pete but you are right of course as both the York and the C/F Salesmen that I dealt with in the early years were “pricks” and the trouble was they actually swapped jobs between the two Companies so we had the situation of a York salesman calling one week flogging his wares and bad mouthing Crane Fruhaufs then lo and behold the same ■■■■ turns up again in a couple of weeks selling Cranes,Oh! and he’s spouting that Yorks are ■■■■■ compared to a Crane !! I kid you not :open_mouth: But the main reason I kicked Yorks into touch was The Landing Leg Gearing,they wern’t a patch on the Crane Fruehauf landing leg gearing and for reasons best known to themselves they were either un-willing or incapable of matching the gear speed of the Crane legs.I even allowed them to supply a new 40footer with a set of Davies Magnet legs which they assured me were the equivalent of the Cranes,were they ■■■■,they were just a slow as the York gear.I kept threatening to stop buying Yorks and the final straw came when I had 4 new LD’s ready for collection and which they swore blind,in writing, they had cracked the “gearing” problem,I had gone over to Northallerton to check them out,guess what,not a ■■■■■ of difference,so I told them to shove them up their arse and I got in the car and shot home.They tried to make me “stand on” with the order but I had it writing that they had matched the Crane gearing which they plainly hadn’t so they couldn’t argue.It was then Crane Fruehauf all the way until I fell out with those ■■■■■■■ when they tried to palm me off with their own poxy Propar axles instead of ROR’s on our first new tri-axles in '83.So it was over to TASK at ■■■■■■■■■■■ who were happy to build trailers to our own exact spec,bingo,the next 100 plus trailers I bought came down from ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ when those ■■■■■■■ at Montracon took over TASK the job went down the ■■■■■■■ again so I returned to Crane Fruehauf,have you kept up Pete ?Phew,thats enough for to-night,time for a Grouse and ice :smiley: :smiley: Cheers Dennis.

Nice one Dennis,was the landing legs they tried to fob you off with,them square design with round feet on that took forever to wind down,single speed? Shame really way things worked out for York and C/F as every other trailer you saw was made by them,as for a tipple i giving the Jamesons a hammering! ta,Pete

Always nice transportation-solutions and keen on weight-saving!

Attached some extractions of the HOBO MkII (1979) and Teamster (1973)

pete smith:
Nice one Dennis,was the landing legs they tried to fob you off with,them square design with round feet on that took forever to wind down,single speed? Shame really way things worked out for York and C/F as every other trailer you saw was made by them,as for a tipple i giving the Jamesons a hammering! ta,Pete

You ■■■■ head :wink: :wink: :wink: They were their own legs and I had what was called Elephants feet instead of wheels which were useless and they were twin speed gearing 1) very slow 2) even slower !! Whereas the Crane gearing was two speed and was 1) low geared 2) six full winds or so and the legs were up.No contest,and which did the drivers prefer on a ■■■■■■■ wet day,why the Crane of course but could I get it through the those ■■■■■ at York,could I ■■■■ like.The York legs were well built and reliable it was just the low gearing you were winding for ever even in “high” gear :frowning: Cheers Dennis.