York Trailer

I wonder if anyone can help me please. I need to get hold of technical drawings for a trailer manufactured by York. These no longer exist, however can anyone give me any infomation of companies that may be able to provide brake and suspension diagrams for these trailers. Maybe they were taken over by another manufacturer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance

Try the Society of Operations Engineers or maybe submit a letter to Transport Engineer, the monthly magazine of the Institute of Road Transport Engineers.

I might have some old spec sheets. Would this be of help?

I’ll have to try and dig it up but don’t expect it quickly… I’ve got to dig it out of my bedroom somewhere!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have a look at this:

abel-demounts.co.uk/about.htm

Found it through a quick search on Google.

Redline Racing:
. Maybe they were taken over by another manufacturer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance

I was looking at a york trailer a while ago, a google search then found a connection with Dennison Trailers - it was a trade mark dispute but it read as though Dennison had taken over York from an administrator

maybe worth a try :wink:

York and Boden were the same trailer spec, then after several takeovers they appeared as GT Fruehauf after Crane went bust

That Able link brought back some memories Killsville.
In the late 80s and early 90s when I converted the entire Toray fleet from artics and rigids to drawbars with interchangeable swop bodies, after an almost disastrous false start with a firm in Nottingham I settled on Abel for all our needs. They were very good to work with following my designs to the letter except for one thing, the method of folding the legs which entailed one set being extendable. They said there was no other way round the problem and the first few were to their spec. Experimenting with these I was able (no pun :unamused: ) to show them a way which avoided this and they built all the others accordingly. As my legs were safer we decided to have the first lot converted, at our expense. A year or so later I was in their place and saw some bodies awaiting delivery to another customer - with my leg design :open_mouth: . They rather shamefacedly admitted that they did them all like that now. Wish I’d thought to patent the idea :smiling_imp: . They didn’t even refund the money we paid for the early conversions. :cry:
That said, we had a good laugh about it. They were a good bunch to work with and, although I can’t remember all the names now, I was good friends with my contacts while I was in the job.

Sorry Redline, that doesn’t help with your problem, except perhaps to recommend them for any help they can give.

Another thought has occurred to me, why not PM Depablo, he has a technical websight?

ABEL Demountable Systems became part of the United Carriers Group for a while, not sure if it was before Bunzl and Tom & Jerry.

As David said it doesnt help answer the question but it makes us senile old gits feel better :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
York and Boden were the same trailer spec, then after several takeovers they appeared as GT Fruehauf after Crane went bust

Crane Fruehauf bought Boden in the sixties, and the former managing director at Boden (one of the family) became a director at CF.

York never had anything to do with Boden, and were bought by Utility International. What happened after that is a little unclear because Dennison Trailers subsequently applied for a revokation of the York brand name and registered logo.

This is all a bit of a jumbled mess, because if we go back to the time Crane Fruehauf bought out Bodens of Rochdale, they moved their skeletal, flat and PSK production to the Rochdale factory and the Boden name ceased to exist as a result.

A little while later, CF started production in Ulster (Glengormley) under the name of Dennison Trailers. This company was eventually bought by the Dennisons and became independant, as it has remained. The last known of York Trailers was when Dennison presumably took control of the York concern from Utility International and tried to withdraw the brand name from the market place in the late nineties

Thanks everyone for your help.

Still looking for the spec sheets / drawings of the air brake system, ABS and and air suspension. If anyone can still help its a 1991 York model LDS32.

One thing know I now the history of the trailer world, who owned who. Very interesting.

The main problem with getting the info is that when the trailer was made 1991…Thats when all the action and takeovers etc were being made and paperwork has been lost…so they tell me.