Yodel possibly going

BBC reportong yodel are in trouble looking for buyer…
Not looking good out there these days.
Wernt yodel once owned by/part of DHL*
https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68238101.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17074704033032&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

I believe Yodel were once the biggest parcel delivery company in the UK, but they sleep walked into almost obscurity by failing to keep up with the times.
While other companies were offering delivery time slots and good service Yodels answer was to simply change their name in the hope no-one would notice the crap service they offered.

I’m not aware of Yodel ever being owned by DHL but I think they did once take over part of DHLs business, I’m sure someone will correct me if that’s wrong :smile:

Some years ago I worked at Yodel as it became known, and I have to say that the management was appalling, mostly I worked at the Droitwich depot which could be bad enough but I dreaded being sent to the Wednesbury depot because I knew there would be problems :frowning_face:

The BBC says about 10,000 employees. I imagine that includes those who are van owner-drivers? Or are they extra?
No redundancy nor wages protection for self-employed is there?
Hopefully most, if not all will be taken on by other carriers if they do go pop.

If they go, the market will go into meltdown, as the other carriers wont have the infrastructure to take on the business.

Apparently Yodel had a 6% market share 2022.
Yodel going pop would make waves, but surely not a tsunami?

An article from July 2023…
“Yodel is not a cash cow” No ■■■■ Sherlock!

Yodel has been bought by YDLGP who will buy Tuffnells to create a logistics powerhouse, Good news for their employees. Yodel sold | New owners to buy Tuffnells creating logistics powerhouse

Fingers crossed for Yodel drivers etc then. I couldn`t see it on your link but Sky UK are carrying the story here

It would help if I put the right link in. :roll_eyes:

Evri’s also up for sale just 2 billion.

fingermissing

4h

Evri’s also up for sale just 2 billion.

does that include delivery…

buggered if I can get it to quote fingermissings post

For reply tips try this Copied from the Feedback Forum - PLEASE READ! (May be a repost, will sort later if so.) - #30 by tachograph

“Powerhouse”…
Never mind the Jabberwock, “Beware the Buzz Words my son!” :roll_eyes:
Soon they will be leveraging synergies to stakeholders, driving customer-focussed solutions to ameliorated object-oriented algorithms for optimized bottom-line structures via a function-based radical portal.

Think there 3/ 4 years to late to buy tuffnells

One of the main guys from YDLGP was on the Today programme this morning (somewhere between 7:15 to 7:45 if you wanted to listen to it on BBC Sounds). He wasn’t very impressive, sounded very unprepared. He made a big deal of AI and “tech solutions” as a way of turning things around, but without providing any solid examples of how this would work in practice.

If I worked for Yodel I would not have been reassured

1 Like

I spent a while at Hatfield, god they were awful. The job wasn’t bad but absolutely everything else was.

Not a name I know myself, but…
:musical_note: dum, dum, dum… another one bites the dust :notes:

Does that translate as ‘we’ll be the next ones to go bust’? :thinking:

They were Securicor Omega when I first worked for them in Vauxhall in 2001 or thereabouts. That wasn’t the first name they’d operated under. Then they got taken over by DHL and became DHL Express. Yodel has a number of ‘ancestor’ companies, not just Omega but Business Post, Parcelnet and (years ago) White Arrow.