Yet more cameras tailgating ones

Picked up a free mag on my travels CV driver.
There’s an article in it.
Saying police and.highways England have been testing /using tailgating cameras .
In 1st 2 weeks they have identified 10,000 offenses…

Being trialed and tested in Northamptonshire.

Doesn’t say if there. Fixed gatso type cameras or in a veichel or what.
But there. Testing them with a view to it being nationwide next year

I genuinely believe they are not only milking us for every penny we have by creating the ability to fine us before we even turn the wheel to actually scaring people into getting behind the wheel in the first place.

It could be a tactic to push people towards self driving cars as they want to outweigh the risk of being fined or losing their license altogether. ‘Wasn’t me officer, the car was on autopilot’. It will be a kick in the bollucks for those of us who enjoy driving still.

Personally I don’t take the risk tailgating at all. Had a couple of close calls in my time and now as soon as I feel I’m creeping up on that 2 second gap I’m out until I’m past even if it takes a mile or two. Prefer a few dirty looks to being scraped off the back of a trailer with a shovel

Thry are a bit behind with that story as Highways England ran it in November. No idea how these sre supposed to work - suspect they don’t properly.

gov.uk/government/news/caug … -two-weeks

They’ll apparently send the driver a notice highlighting that they were tailgating, but no mention of any other action.

Got a lot of questions on this including:

• How are they going to identify the driver as the registered keeper isnt always going to be the same.

• Are they going to provide photo footage? Else say they write to your boss saying you were tailgating, you could get into trouble for something which is in the mind of a computer algorithm.

• If it takes pics from the front, how will it catch a truck being tailgated since it can’t see behind the trailer? Eg, a van hanging off your back doors as you dare to do 55mph.

• If they are so certain in the technology, why can’t they determine the worst offences and pass them to the police? Or is it that the system throws too many false positives.

Of course they include footsge from one of their office bods which shows “terrifying tailgating of their small car” and “how they could have been crushed” etc. But fail to mention the glaring problem that the truck is left hand drive, so no letter for them, doh!

When I learned to drive I was told, if someone is too close, then back off from the vehicle in front to give you more stopping room. I still use this and it works, but guessing its not its not taught anymore.

Not heard about this since November anyway so probably quietly dropped.

I have seen pictures from these cameras, they have been sent out to Royal mail. They are stationary cameras high up and in picture you can clearly see both vehicles and the distance between them, i presume they also can tell the speed, not sure about that do.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

These cameras have been coming for a while but not before time. It’s about time something was done about this highly dangerous practice.

uk.motor1.com/news/453150/camer … ailgaters/

Tailgaters must get shocking fuel economy. Accelerating up to things just to put the brakes on, it’s all a bit strange.

Noremac:
Tailgaters must get shocking fuel economy. Accelerating up to things just to put the brakes on, it’s all a bit strange.

Loads do that when approaching red lights - can anyone tell me why :question:

What happens when XYZ haulage overtakes you and cuts in early and the camera takes the pic? Without your own dashcam footage you could be screwed!

the maoster:
What happens when XYZ haulage overtakes you and cuts in early and the camera takes the pic? Without your own dashcam footage you could be screwed!

Similar thing with yellow box junctions especially in London. At least they have a rolling feed so if you get snapped, appeal it and they’ll look at the footage to determine the circumstances, which is usually waiting for a big enough gap to clear the box eventually only to have some nugget cut into that “empty space” leaving you high and dry.

^^^^ got clobbered for exactly that last year down Greenford High Street. The company pay our fines but I wasn’t happy that they rolled over and paid it. I kept pushing them to get my forward facing camera footage and appeal it but they didn’t. Probably couldn’t be arsed with the paperwork.

the maoster:
^^^^ got clobbered for exactly that last year down Greenford High Street. The company pay our fines but I wasn’t happy that they rolled over and paid it. I kept pushing them to get my forward facing camera footage and appeal it but they didn’t. Probably couldn’t be arsed with the paperwork.

Surely that can’t be right. They are effectively pleading guilty on your behalf.

They may or may not of been tailgating but seeing the aftermath of those 4 lorries ( only 3 when I eventually passed )smashed up on m6 yesterday was enough to make most people drop back I’d of thought , more so than a camera you can’t see .

WhiteTruckMan:

the maoster:

Surely that can’t be right. They are effectively pleading guilty on your behalf.

You are correct mate, but it’s their train set, it’s non endorsable and it’s their money. I just let them get on with it.

Good, and about time. I’m sick to death seeing 9 out of 10 lorries that overtake me 6ft from the back door of another. Very few actually leave a 2 second gap these days. I saw a lorry with no cab last Friday on the M1 by Leicester. It gave me the chills. Turns out it was a fatality. One can only assume he’d gone up the back of another judging by the shocking aftermath.

Had a Sainsbury’s motor passing me tonight, and after clearing me by just feet a Slam transport sitting on his back door began flashing him :unamused: . Sainsbury’s thought I’d flashed so he pulled in, forcing me into a tailgating situation for a moment.

ROG:

Noremac:

Loads do that when approaching red lights - can anyone tell me why :question:

They want to be the first in the queue? Can’t think of any other semi-valid reason.

On topic, can’t see anything going wrong - sitting on 53mph getting overtaken by someone going 0.3mph faster, who then proceeds to cut in with 10 yards to spare between us, 3 seconds later the camera flashes me for tailgaiting - shame on me indeed.

the maoster:
You are correct mate, but it’s their train set, it’s non endorsable and it’s their money. I just let them get on with it.

Trouble is, its our money they are using and its the money they aren’t using to fix all the roads like the M42 which is in a shocking state.

As mentioned, I wonder if it’ll just be a pic or a video since you can end up tailgating due to being cut-up. Or does it take multiple pics? Happens quite a bit at night too especially with certain companies (looking at Slam and Tuffnells).

Our lot likely wouldn’t care, but some of the more corporate ones probably would.

Actually wondering if this can tell the difference between normal moving traffic tailgating and stationery or very slow moving traffic where it tends to be more bunched.

With the way parcel drivers go most will be fined.Most seem to go flat out