Yet another WTD question.....

Had a search on the forum and I can’t find a simple answer (or I’m being blind). So can someone give me a straight forward answer to the following please…

If I start work at 6am and work till 4pm, what breaks are needed and by what time? Ignore all the tacho rules etc as I’m fine with them.

My job is multi drop so I’m either driving or unloading. Very very odd occasion I’ll have to wait for my first drop to open and it’s normally 15-20 mins so I get a 15 in for my tacho. What does this break count towards in terms of the WTD?

Hopefully my post makes sense :laughing:

Mark.

RT(WTD)R guide for the official explanation - my way below :wink:

WORK = driving + other work added together - breaks and POA do not count as WORK

A driver must not WORK more than 6 hours without a BREAK

Each BREAK must be at least 15 minutes

Where the WORK in a shift is between 6 & 9 hours then a TOTAL of 30 minutes worth of BREAKS (1X30 or 2X15) must be taken

Where the WORK in a shift is over 9 hours then a TOTAL of 45 minutes worth of BREAKS (1x45 or 1x15+1x30 or 3X15) must be taken

BREAKS count for BOTH the tacho & WTD regs but the tacho breaks & rules on them take priority

Mark28:
Had a search on the forum and I can’t find a simple answer (or I’m being blind). So can someone give me a straight forward answer to the following please…

If I start work at 6am and work till 4pm, what breaks are needed and by what time? Ignore all the tacho rules etc as I’m fine with them.

My job is multi drop so I’m either driving or unloading. Very very odd occasion I’ll have to wait for my first drop to open and it’s normally 15-20 mins so I get a 15 in for my tacho. What does this break count towards in terms of the WTD?

Hopefully my post makes sense :laughing:

Mark.

If working between 6 and 9 hours you will need 30 mins break. If working over 9 hours you will need a total of 45 mins break. That 15 mins you got in for your tacho break will count as 15 mins towards your WTD breaks, as will any further tacho breaks.

Thanks for your replies. By what time do I need to have got my breaks in by? I’ve read about a 4 hour time window and a 6 hour? or can it be whenever throughout my shift?

Mark28:
Thanks for your replies. By what time do I need to have got my breaks in by? I’ve read about a 4 hour time window and a 6 hour? or can it be whenever throughout my shift?

ROG:
A driver must not WORK more than 6 hours without a BREAK

If you are getting 15 minutes break at your first drop then you can start counting again.

How about taking another 45 minutes before 1400 and you have cracked it

15 minutes at 6hrs work, not breaks or POA. Another 15 between 6hrs and 9 hrs will do you.

How about arrive 7.45 and start again at 8.05 when the gates are opened would be 14.05. But I would take another 45 minutes for dinner and that will do you as you are not going over 9 hours anyway

Mark28:

Starting at 6am would mean that you must have a 15 min break at no later than noon

That would mean that you have only had 15 mins for 9 hour 45 mins of work which is not enough as you need 45 mins in total for work over 9 hours

Taking another 15 mins would not be enough either as that you have only had 30 mins for 9 hour 30 mins of work

Taking a third 15 min break would do it as that is 45 mins of break for 9 hours and 15 mins of work

Taking the last two 15 mins together and making 30 mins… hmmm… that’s exactly how a split tacho break can be done - 15 + 30 :smiley:

If you are taking a 15 break sometime in the first 6 hours and then a 30 break for the tacho later then you need not worry about the RT(WTD)R in your situation

FInally it makes sense :smiley: thanks to everyone who has replied.

ROG:
Where the WORK in a shift is over 9 hours then a TOTAL of 45 minutes worth of BREAKS (1x45 or 1x15+1x30 or 3X15) must be taken

BREAKS count for BOTH the tacho & WTD regs but the tacho breaks & rules on them take priority

Are you sure about that Rog :question: :wink:

instructorone:

ROG:

Are you sure about that Rog :question: :wink:

Positive - 3x15 is perfectly ok for the RT(WTD)R which is what the title of the thread is about

If it was a thread about driving breaks for the TACHO regs then that would not be correct
As I said -

If a driver on mutlidrop where the other work was twice that of driving time then a 12 shift would be 4 hours of driving (max) so no tacho driving break needed but the breaks for the RT(WTD)T would.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: