Yet another new name for us gents

I found this today on a jobs website from a very well known international logistics operator , the advert read as follows , Required : Fleet Operatives required ( Class 1 HGV drivers ) in Middlewich etc etc etc , after a lifetime in the industry it made me chuckle , bets are now being taken how long will it be before we see these sorts of jobs being advertised as" Steering Wheel Attendants " required .

Yes but most are “steering wheel attendants”
Tried to explain to a “driver” how his brakes worked the other night.
Not much responce.

I would agree with the CPC if it even started to show drivers the basics of how their vehicle operates,basic braking,electrical and drive systems.Would also make their job a bit more interesting.
Most drivers would like to know how their vehicle operates and instead of listening to some pratt spout garbage Im sure they would appreciate a bit of insight into how the bloody thing they are sat in for hours a day really works.
But who the hell am I!

Speaking to my son about the job last night, doing his class 2 shortly. Got onto the DCPC, he thought it was a good idea in principle until I explained that basically the only requirement is you sit in a room for 7hrs no tests or anything, his comments were unprintable :laughing:

We all know how brakes work…you put your foot on that pedal on the floor, and depending how fast you want to stop, depends on how much pressure. Why on earth in this day and age would a driver want to know how anything works, if it breaks down …get on the phone, and leave the repairs to the guy who trained very hard to understand and fix any problem. Years ago we had no choice, we carried a huge tool box and did our own repairs on route, today, companies dont want drivers mesing around with their trucks, some have tried with fitting electric gadgets and ended up setting fire to the truck…if you got a problem with a tyre…call the tyre fitters out…and seeing as most vehicles have an electronic brain, means you have to carry a laptop, and have the codes to get into the system, which means most of us have no idea how to fix them, so we leave it to the experts…and we can remain what we have always been…DRIVERS. and i am sure that the ride to your destination can be more interesting if you dont know how things work otherwise its just going to give you a headache.

Saw a cattle truck on the M6 and he had a sign on his unit that said bovine relocation technician, quite like relocation technician :smiley:

Bking:
Tried to explain to a “driver” how his brakes worked the other night.Not much responce.

He only wanted to know where the toilet was! :smiley:

Think I may go with - DCPC qualified pot hole tester.

truckyboy:
We all know how brakes work…you put your foot on that pedal on the floor, and depending how fast you want to stop, depends on how much pressure. Why on earth in this day and age would a driver want to know how anything works, if it breaks down …get on the phone, and leave the repairs to the guy who trained very hard to understand and fix any problem. Years ago we had no choice, we carried a huge tool box and did our own repairs on route, today, companies dont want drivers mesing around with their trucks, some have tried with fitting electric gadgets and ended up setting fire to the truck…if you got a problem with a tyre…call the tyre fitters out…and seeing as most vehicles have an electronic brain, means you have to carry a laptop, and have the codes to get into the system, which means most of us have no idea how to fix them, so we leave it to the experts…and we can remain what we have always been…DRIVERS. and i am sure that the ride to your destination can be more interesting if you dont know how things work otherwise its just going to give you a headache.

Muppet

kindle530:

Bking:
Tried to explain to a “driver” how his brakes worked the other night.Not much responce.

He only wanted to know where the toilet was! :smiley:

And some fell on stoney ground

Best one I had when when I was doing buses
Some guy did see the low bridge at westham lane lol
When asked why he went that way I wanted to get a coffee at City air port so went on the short cut :smiley:

Bking:

truckyboy:

Muppet

He’s right though.

Bking:

truckyboy:

Muppet[/quote

Muppet = brilliant response.
IMHO, Truckyboy is spot on, my brain doesn’t do engines, brakes or anything mechanical, I just don’t understand how things work, I wish I did then I could be working for $40/hr as a fitter instead of $25/hr as a driver.

This is the illustrious ‘B (ull sh) king’ bless him, who thinks every driver,( in fact everybody) is a Muppet except himself of course, and if you dare to disagree with him on any of his over opinionated points you are a ■■■■ or a ■■■■■■■ or even a ■■■■ :smiley: :smiley: ,so don’t’ take it personally.
He is maybe his own worst enemy on here because he has come across in the past as having a good mechanical knowledge when it comes to trucks and trailers, but looks at everybody that does not share that quality with contempt which makes him as popular as a ■■■■ in a crowded lift on this forum.
I agree with truckyboy there is no real need to have any mechanical knowledge today, if you have fair play, but not necessary .
Can’t wait for the abuse and insults :laughing:

Maybe a bit of fvkin mechanical comprehension eh?

About sums it up nowadays. Ha

IMG_1837.JPG

bobjakey:

Yeh once over maybe when we used to have to do temporary repairs outselves to get back home, repair hoses, throttle linkages, adjust slack on brakes etc ourselves, or even change wheels on the hard shoulder. I assume that you have done all these as have I, but today some firms will not let a driver even change a bulb. I didn’t say I agreed with this, but that is how it has become today. So as I said no REAL need today.

As said I can understand the idea of drivers not needing to know about the workings of a modern vehicle ,though I reckon it is still good to have some knowledge if possible ,as it really helps with diagnosis when the vehicles come to a workshop…Engine or gearbox faulty doesn’t really help much.Unfortunately hours can’t be spent figuring out what is wrong

bobjakey:

Hey bobjakey the real joke is that these useless monkeys bleat about ■■■■ poor money.
They are “professional” drivers and and know jack ■■■■ about what they drive.

Sound like a load of office lasses when the photocopier runs out of ink.
Bloody useless.

Waste of bloody time.Born dumb stay dumb.

bobjakey:
About sums it up nowadays. Ha

+1

Its not compulsory to be a thick [zb] to be a truck driver.

If drivers don’t need to know about how their rigs work, why are there questions on the theory test like: “Which of these components can be found inside the engine?”

Just wondering :unamused: