Yet another legal question

Appreciate the advice but here is another…

I have a Box trailer plated at 31 tonne (empty)at a customer site that has been off the road and mothballed for a year.

I need to get it to my mechanics so that he can service it and prep it for an MOT.

Is there anyway that I can legally tow it?
would a recovery be a better solution?

My mechanic has agreed to drive down and check the air lines and tyres etc to make sure that it is safe?

any suggestions?

From what I can remember - do not take as true - it is legal to take an untaxed & non-MOTd vehicle DIRECTLY to or from an MOT centre or to the place where it is being repaired - the vehicle, when doing this, must not be used for any other purpose (such as transporting goods or people)
The vehicle must be SAFE (not necessarily LEGAL) when on the public highway.

I THINK this is correct as it seems logical

Recovery is the only way to go. There is no exemption from MOT that fits the scenario you have given.

As far as I am aware if its booked in for pre MOT repairs and MOT date is booked its legal to remove to repairer, or try using trade lates, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Get a letter from garage with dates to confirm repairs being carried out for MOT

ROG:
From what I can remember - do not take as true - it is legal to take an untaxed & non-MOTd vehicle DIRECTLY to or from an MOT centre or to the place where it is being repaired - the vehicle, when doing this, must not be used for any other purpose (such as transporting goods or people)

Got the red but wrong :blush: :blush: :blush:
To save on recovery expenses (but incur failed MOT costs) the following is LEGAL - book trailer in for MOT and then take trailer directly from customer premises to MOT centre - Fails MOT - take to place of repair - then back for MOT - SORTED :smiley: - as per my phone call to VOSA :slight_smile:
VOSA enquiry unit = 01792 454318

The need for an MOT certificate
It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

taking it to a test station for a test booked in advance

bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the test, to a place of repair

taking it to or bringing it away from a place where, by previous arrangement, repairs are to be made or have been made to fix the problems that caused the vehicle to fail its test

Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various Regulations affecting its

From the VOSA website,

So Rog is correct you have to have failed a test to then take it for repairs,

ROG:

ROG:

Got the red but wrong :blush: :blush: :blush:
To save on recovery expenses (but incur failed MOT costs) the following is LEGAL - book trailer in for MOT and then take trailer directly from customer premises to MOT centre - Fails MOT - take to place of repair - then back for MOT - SORTED :smiley: - as per my phone call to VOSA :slight_smile:
VOSA enquiry unit = 01792 454318

And then because you have taken a trailer for test and got a failure, you will now be listed on VOSA’s traffic light system and will probably be called to public enquiry :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
And then because you have taken a trailer for test and got a failure, you will now be listed on VOSA’s traffic light system and will probably be called to public enquiry :open_mouth:

Would that still be the case if VOSA were informed of the situation BEFORE it was done :question: :question:

As always thanks chaps,

We have decided to recover it to our mechanics and then prep for its MOT,

Much appreciated :slight_smile:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

Would that still be the case if VOSA were informed of the situation BEFORE it was done :question: :question:

As you cannot just turn up for an MOT on a HGV like you can with a car, all MOT at a Goods Vehicle Testing station must be prebooked, in fact dealers and companies are complaining of long waits to get a test done, so Fred Bloggs who has a pea lorry stood in his orchard for a year, drags it off to the test station before the vining starts. It fails and he cannot get another mot for 6 weeks, By then the pea vining season is over, the pea lorry is put back in the orchard and Fred Bloggs is happy.

VOSA examiners can turn up on the doorstep at any time to review an operation. Whether unannounced or by appointment, a visit usually occurs following a roadside check where either a vehicle prohibition or traffic infringement has occurred. A series of PG9s or high MOT failure rate will also provoke a visit. VOSA may have received a complaint from a third party — a member of the public, a disgruntled past employee or even a current employee, over issues within the operation. It is VOSAs policy to follow these up.

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

As you cannot just turn up for an MOT on a HGV like you can with a car, all MOT at a Goods Vehicle Testing station must be prebooked, in fact dealers and companies are complaining of long waits to get a test done, so Fred Bloggs who has a pea lorry stood in his orchard for a year, drags it off to the test station before the vining starts. It fails and he cannot get another mot for 6 weeks, By then the pea vining season is over, the pea lorry is put back in the orchard and Fred Bloggs is happy.

I should have put that better :blush: :blush:
If, when booking the MOT, VOSA were informed of the situation, would that then prevent a subsequent investigation :question: :question:

As an aside to Wheelnut’s comments; in the case of cars and light commercials whose MOT certificate and road tax has expired, the test must also be pre-booked if the vehicle is to be driven there legally.

Easy answer.
DON’T GET CAUGHT. :wink:

You may tow the trailer to a pre-arranged (booked) MOT test only. Take a copy of the booking confirmation with you and don’t deviate from the most direct (truck friendly) route. It’s the same for cars…pre-booked test only.

Sorted.