yet another bridge strike

Derf:
It wasn’t a mistake, it was blatant incompetence (see my comments on the Echo story)

Adjective : Incompetence - not possessing the necessary ability, skill, etc to do or carry out a task; incapable

V

Noun : Mistake - an act or judgement that is misguided or wrong

Even a trained monkey would be competent, this driver was competent to pass his test and there is very little skill required in not hitting a low bridge. Thus it’s a mistake! A simple lapse of concentration, a screw up, a ■■■■ up, granted the cost will be significant but the act or omission is part of what makes us human.

If the numbers in the big red circle on the bridge are less than the numbers on your in cab height marker you do not proceed.
To do so is either stupidity or incompetence.
How can that be a mistake?

The driver does not have to make a judgement, someone has already done that for him by putting a sign on the bridge telling him he’s prohibited from proceeding if he’s higher than it!

Derf:
If the numbers in the big red circle on the bridge are less than the numbers on your in cab height marker you do not proceed.

The driver does not have to make a judgement, someone has already done that for him by putting a sign on the bridge telling him he’s prohibited from proceeding if he’s higher than it!

the same way you’re making the mistake of thinking that someone who has hit a bridge has made a conscious decision to drive under a bridge that is lower than their vehicle

stevieboy308:

Derf:

the same way you’re making the mistake of thinking that someone who has hit a bridge has made a conscious decision to drive under a bridge that is lower than their vehicle

Are you suggesting it drove itself under there with no human intervention?

Derf:

Are you seriously suggesting this driver has registered the fact he is about to go under a bridge that is too low then gone on to do it anyway ■■? Like I said, momentary lapse of concentration… A mistake.

Derf:

stevieboy308:

Derf:

Are you suggesting it drove itself under there with no human intervention?

not in the slightest fella, i’m suggesting that the vast majority of bridge strikes are down to a lapse in concentration, which every human suffers from every now and then.

i don’t believe there are many that see the bridge height, compare it with their height, think i’ll be close but carry on at full chat anyway

i worked for a firm in hull that had 3 main contracts, 2 in scunny, 1 in hull, i started working out of scunny on 1 contract pulling 13’11 trailers, then i started doing quite a lot on the hull contract doing tankers and 13’11 fridges, once a blue moon i’d do a run for the other scunny contract pulling 15 something trailers, sometimes delivering to the tanker / fridge place in hull which you normally went under a 14 something bridge to. the office would remind people to go the other way as they could see how a mistake might happen, i wasn’t offended as some might be as i too could see how someone might get it wrong.

iDriver:

Derf:
It wasn’t a mistake, it was blatant incompetence (see my comments on the Echo story)

Adjective : Incompetence - not possessing the necessary ability, skill, etc to do or carry out a task; incapable

V

Noun : Mistake - an act or judgement that is misguided or wrong

Even a trained monkey would be competent, this driver was competent to pass his test and there is very little skill required in not hitting a low bridge. Thus it’s a mistake! A simple lapse of concentration, a screw up, a ■■■■ up, granted the cost will be significant but the act or omission is part of what makes us human.

Negligence : the fact of not giving enough care or attention to someone or something

I can’t understand why they can’t dig the road deeper under
many of these sub 5 metre bridges.

The man hours wasted, the public inconvenience and detours
following a bridge strike must cost a fortune.

Muckaway:
The driver was 73 as reported on BBC South Today. We go under that Bridge and it’s clearly signed in advance, so no excuses.
Talking of Lymington, can you access it from Lyndhurst without breaking the 7.5t limit in Lyndhurst? I know you can avoid it if travelling in the opposite direction due to the one way system.
How can you feel sorry for the driver? Did he not read the signs?

Yes you have to come from Totton direction and then into Lyndhurst. Only about 100 yards of high street is 7.5 limit. I always go to Lymington via Hythe and then the forest as its a nice drive and you get to play horse / cow chicanes! lol

stevieboy308:

Rob K:
A clear cut case where the driver is 100% ar fault and albion is nowhere to be seen! :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: :question:

have patients mr k :laughing: :laughing: and if it turns out you’re a doctor, i hope you have patience with them

Just so you do not feel let down I will tell you why I have not responded.Unusually you and others are admitting for once the lorry driver was at fault!
Are you sure it was not the car driver in front or the van behinds fault? I am sure you can think of an excuse not to blame the lorry driver as you usually do!

Someone said it is only luck that there are not more accidents(not bridge bashing ones)and how true that is with the poor standard of so many drivers today.

There you go happy now? :unamused:

albion1971:

stevieboy308:

Rob K:
A clear cut case where the driver is 100% ar fault and albion is nowhere to be seen! :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: :question:

have patients mr k :laughing: :laughing: and if it turns out you’re a doctor, i hope you have patience with them

Just so you do not feel let down I will tell you why I have not responded.Unusually you and others are admitting for once the lorry driver was at fault!
Are you sure it was not the car driver in front or the van behinds fault? I am sure you can think of an excuse not to blame the lorry driver as you usually do!

Someone said it is only luck that there are not more accidents(not bridge bashing ones)and how true that is with the poor standard of so many drivers today.

There you go happy now? :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

Going through the warning signs before the bridge and the big circular one on the bridge is far from a ‘momentary’ lapse of concentration, it’s quite a significant one. Either that or the driver had several momentary lapses of concentration in succession that just so happened to coincide with the time it took to drive past the readable distances of the signs…

Muckaway:
The driver was 73 as reported on BBC South Today.

We go under that Bridge and it’s clearly signed in advance, so no excuses.

How can you feel sorry for the driver?

Did he not read the signs?

I hope I’m still testing bridges when I’m 73.

What signs ?

^^^^^^^^^ so C+E drivers and “Good” drivers go into a different section?

Don’t C drivers sometimes hit bridges as well?

I guess most of us will be happy to merely be drawing breath at 73, what with our pensions looted, lifestyle likely to bring on a heart attack by 65, and fading eyesight. :frowning:

trubster:
Negligence : the fact of not giving enough care or attention to someone or something

That’s not in dispute, this is a straight up due care any day of the week.

My argument is with those who suggest it is in some way a wilful act or down to lack of ability. For it to be either would be suggest the driver is in some way mentally defective as you would have to be to strike a bridge wilfully or not know that tall things don’t go under short bridges.

He has exhibited that human trait of making a mistake, he has not for whatever reason reacted to the signage. Negligent?, absolutely, incompetent?, only if he has a history of doing it on a regular occasion in which case I doubt he would be a driver very long.

stevieboy308:
anyone can make a mistake, next time you have a near miss on some sort of [zb] up and say to yourself “that was close / that was lucky” that’s it, the majority of the time it’s luck which stops the near miss from being a [zb] up.

The trouble is there are far to many so called mistakes!
There is absolutely no excuse for a professional driver hitting a bridge
I have drove double deckers and mega decks for years without an incident and you are always aware of its height

Sorry but you can only blame each individual driver for all of the above

I’d be interested to know how many of these bridge strikes are sat nav directed.

At 73 if British unless he lived his whole life in a box or prison i’d have expected the driver to know his way to Lymington, in which case any experienced driver would remember the low bridge just before you enter the town.

Similarly the driver on unfamiliar roads who looks at his ‘truckers’ bridge height atlas should have seen the bridge warning when planning the route.

Entering some co-ordinates and pressing GO on a normal sat nav leads to driver simply driving off and following blindly, if the sat nav isn’t equipped with bridge heights then a disaster is waiting to happen, IMO.

bridge bashing can’t be too much of a problem. Otherwise, highways authority would have resolved it. It wouldn’t cost much to suspend a string of bells at the relevant height, 100 yards before the bridge. It is assumed that the driver having switched during his day, from car to wagons and trailers of different heights, will be aware of his height. Assumed

Juddian:
I’d be interested to know how many of these bridge strikes are sat nav directed.

I’m willing to bet this one wasn’t :sunglasses:

Yes anyone can make a mistake but a mistake like this is sheer incompetence.The driver is meant to be a professional and was driving a vehicle that is far higher than average.Consequently he should know and be aware of the maximum height of his vehicle or trailer.
Like a lot of accidents it was probably a lack of concentration.Mind on something else.
Totally unacceptable when driving an LGV.