Yet another A road fatality

This isn’t far from me. I’ve driven this road in both directions this morning.
It would appear the car has hit the truck on the o/s front corner.
The point of impact is with the truck as close to the left kerb as possible. After impact the truck has then veered off left accross the widish grass verge and gone down a steepish embankment…which is probably what caused the sections of pre-cast concrete to come off.
I didn’t see any skid marks so would guess the car was either overtaking & both drivers thought he would make it, or the driver has gone to sleep… but its only a few hundred meters after a round-a-bout.
Its a straightish fast road, national speed limit.

I met coming away from the scene traveling in convoy the twisted curtain side trailer on a low loader, the Barline unit on a trailer & the concrete on a flat.

Hope Barline’s driver is ok and my thoughts go the family & friends of the young man.

Crikey…I also know that road very very well. I have admittedly and ashamedly done a risky overtaking manouvere down that stretch :S

Never nice to hear of another tradegy…Condolenced to the bereaved!

Condolences.

I noticed that the word ‘accident’ was not used once in the headline or the report - perhaps the outlook to these type of incidents are improving…

ROG:
Condolences.

I noticed that the word ‘accident’ was not used once in the headline or the report - perhaps the outlook to these type of incidents are improving…

But it does use the “word” under the photo!

Wheel Nut:

ROG:
Condolences.

But it does use the “word” under the photo!

Oh well, they tried :slight_smile:

I must get my eyes tested :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing:

Sargeant Guy Young:
“I would like to reassure them that there is no suggestion that they have done anything wrong, but they could help us piece together exactly what has happened.”

Surely that cant be right? Failing to stop after an accident or stopping to render assistance ■■?

I am given to understand the deceased was a doctor who had been working in Liverpool and was on his way home to his wife & at least 1 child.

how sad.

There were two cars following him at the time, neither stopped!

It’s a shoddy article, doesn’t actually say who was killed, a pedestrian, driver of the truck or who. Then it says “the astra” in the 5th paragraph, what astra, what did it do, where was it :unamused:

The lorry, carrying 35 tonnes of concrete, went over onto its side into a hedgerow.

nice to see the papers getting it right as per :unamused:

This witness really makes it sound like it was the lorry drivers fault. Don’t really see how it could be if he was just inches from the kerb on his own side of the road when a car traveling in the opposite direction collided with him.

So its a mystery how “It could have been us if we’d set off 30 seconds earlier”.

Also a mystery why heading towards Thornton if traveling from there to Preesall.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Witness-tells-of-Poulton-death.4296177.jp

The car drivers who witnessed the crash did give assistance until para medics turned up.
I can’t understand how the artic was on the wrong side of the road though?
It appears the truck was going uphill towards fleetwood but with concrete on which has come from northern ireland. I would have expected the truck to have been going the other way. Just can’t figure it out.
It must of happend within minutes of me going to fleetwood dock that night as i had dropped my trailer and parked up by 11.20pm.

Davey Driver:

Sargeant Guy Young:
“I would like to reassure them that there is no suggestion that they have done anything wrong, but they could help us piece together exactly what has happened.”

Surely that cant be right? Failing to stop after an accident or stopping to render assistance ■■?

No offences there,

Oh hang on.
Just looked at some pictures.
He could have been heading away from fleetwood. and of course on his own side of the road.
Trailer heading towards preston, Unit back towards Fleetwood. Nasty.

Greg:

Davey Driver:

Sargeant Guy Young:

No offences there,

Unless you are in France

limeyphil:
Oh hang on.
He could have been heading away from fleetwood. and of course on his own side of the road.

Phil i can’t work that pic out at all and i don’t follow what you’re saying there.
I think we are assuming he would have been heading AWAY from Fleetwood & indeed those pre-cast lumps come FROM Ireland. Yet in the pic it looks as though its facing Fleetwood?
Now some 44 tonne truck don’t spin right around in the road because it hits a car.

Very confusing.

Driveroneuk:

limeyphil:
Oh hang on.

Phil i can’t work that pic out at all and i don’t follow what you’re saying there.
I think we are assuming he would have been heading AWAY from Fleetwood & indeed those pre-cast lumps come FROM Ireland. Yet in the pic it looks as though its facing Fleetwood?
Now some 44 tonne truck don’t spin right around in the road because it hits a car.

Very confusing.

I looked at some pics earlier which showed the unit only. This showed the lorry on the wrong side. (made it look like lorry drivers fault). I saw some other pictures later which showed the trailer and no unit. This time he looked to be on the correct side of the road. Therefore the citizen and the gazette have shown conflicting pictures instead of a complete set.

www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk

I was down that stretch yesterday, coming both ways, tracks definately leave the road in the direction AWAY from fleetwood…Looks like the bushes were burnt aswell unless it was just my imagination :s

:unamused:

Usual bull from the papers, he would’ve probably only been grossing 35 ton.

My dad works for the same fella as this.
Niall was ok but very badly shaken up.

He was travelling out of fleetwood when the car came accross onto his side of the road and collided with him. The fifth wheel of the unit was ripped off completely and left sitting on the road. Both unit and trailer were complete write offs.

The driver of the car was indeed a doctor who had been taking some form of anti-maleria medicine. You are not supposed to drive on these tablets.

As you can see the force of the collision was very hard. It was bad enough to bend the coins in the doctors pocket, so you can imaine what sort of mess he ended up in.

Karl.:
As you can see the force of the collision was very hard. It was bad enough to bend the coins in the doctors pocket, so you can imaine what sort of mess he ended up in.

I don’t have to imagine…seen it many times and it really is as 'orrible as you think.

Always nasty when someone dies in an accident. (I don’t imagine it was a “deliberate”)…the only consolation about one like this is that the deceased died instantly without any knowledge or suffering.

I have just been told the outcome of this.

The doctor had driven from blackpool to liverpool then done an 18.5 hour shift, driven back, fell asleep at the wheel, killed himself.
NHS and the doctor at fault.
My view is that the NHS bosses should be charged with corporate manslaughter.

If it was the lorry drivers fault they would have felt the collar of his boss.