Yesterday's accident. On m20

Unfortunately another driver died in an accident on the m20 yesterday but as a side story to this 2 non British truck drivers where fined for obstructing the hard shoulder in the resulting jams . The amount of times you see them do this either in after an accident or just heavy or slow traffic. it’s good to see the uk police doing something about this at last ( also see the police talking to them and moving them on under the bridges on the 25 now)

The lorry driver was a 60yr old polish man, For reasons unknown his lorry left the road and overturned ,he was taken to hospital by air ambulance with life threatening injuries , but died later in hospital, according to the local rag Lorry driver dies after serious crash on M20 between junctions 11 for Hythe and 10 for Ashford RIP drive

Meanwhile: also in kent Solution to Operation Stack will be announced ‘within weeks’ says Folkestone and Hythe MP Damian Collins ‘within weeks’ mmm, how many weeks,months,years will that be then?

tommy t:
Meanwhile: also in kent Solution to Operation Stack will be announced ‘within weeks’ says Folkestone and Hythe MP Damian Collins ‘within weeks’ mmm, how many weeks,months,years will that be then?

:wink: Keep watching :wink:
One question though, How do you get a truck driver (or his company) to pay for the ‘parking infrastructure and maintenance’ they require unless it comes from ‘tax’ either local or national ?

1 for starters ?
searchplanapps.shepway.gov.uk/on … =firstPage

speedyguy:

tommy t:

One question though, How do you get a truck driver (or his company) to pay for the ‘parking infrastructure and maintenance’ they require unless it comes from ‘tax’ either local or national ?

1 for starters ?

link not working, but they could increase the price of the ferry train during op stack for foreign trucks unless they are able to prove that they paid for parking elsewhere, or parked at delivery /loading address, there’s some scope for something along those lines , also if they are going to be charged regardless, there bosses will instruct them to use the parking as directed

I’ll try again :slight_smile: searchplanapps.shepway.gov.uk/on … =firstPage
Link seems to play up a bit on mobile apps but does work randomly :neutral_face:

speedyguy:

tommy t:

1 for starters ?

For a starter they could use some of the truck levy money, it’s raised on both UK and foreign registered trucks, and has raised far more that the government estimated, so why shouldn’t we benefit a bit from it.
But even if the money was available, you’d have a problem in getting people to agree where to put the truck parks, wherever they were planned, especially in the south east, the nimbys would come out in force objecting.

Same old story, everybody wants the goods delivered or taken away, but nobody wants the trucks that make it happen in their area.

I want to answer a couple of the posters…Foreign trucks often park on the hard shoulder in their own countries, as like us, they too are pushed to the limits, after all we are all under the same rules are we not. so its nothing unusual for me to see them parked on the hard shoulder for their rest, and after sitting in traffic after an accident for example, forces them to do this, maybe their next stop was for that same purpose, as the authorities on the continent come down much harder on them than here in the uk, with their bosses often not contributing to the fine ( same as here ).

Parking places are few and far between in kent, with a number of laybys having been closed already ( have you also noticed the amount who park on the entrance/exit to laybys ) because they too dont want to flout the rules. Most international transport companies will not pay for parking, so if a driver want to use one he loses out, so the only way is to force all companies to pay for the parking, ban industrial estate parking, overnight in laybys, for example, but its taking our freedom away in my opinion, as there are also UK registered vehicles who will not pay their drivers for parking. NONE of the paid parking is secure enough in my opinion, i have had curtains cut, diesel stolen etc, whilst in the services, and colleagues have had the same problem in truck stops. I run on foreign plates and refuse to pay to get my curtains cut or fuel stolen, and seeing as they cannot enforce payment in these places, i do with impunity.

I was told recently by a friend who lives in the area, that Manston Airport is now ready to park huge numbers of trucks, and all facilities have been built, so the next operation stack, all vehicles will be diverted to Manston and free up the M20/M2…with all drivers having to take a number on entry, and watch for the number to appear which is a signal to leave and go to the port/rail head…the advantage will be those using Dover port.

Of course operation stack is brought about by the French, the strikers were the first to cause it, then came the Illegal Immigration, and they are here for the immediate future, so whenever the eurotunnel is delayed or shut, in comes the stack implementations…and i cannot see anything changing anytime soon.

Why should Foreign vehicles be charged extra over other nationalities ( like the brits ) just because operation stack is in place…shows your speaking out of your arse matey. Shall we stop the brits from working too…Sorry boss, i cannot head to Dover/Folkestone i have to park up for a few days because of operation stack oh dont worry drive, ive paid a bit extra, so can leave now but sit on the M20 for a few days…yes that will work wont it. I feel sorry for the neighbours who have had to put up with drivers parking outside their house, or blocking their streets and lanes in surrounding areas…but its not the drivers fault if the authorities have not provided enough places to park…and i can tell you now, that its no easier in France- Germany- Austria even Belgium-Holland…which is why France and Belgium started to fine the drivers for staying in their trucks for their weekend breaks…which i believe to be a travesty of justice for truckers regardless of where they come from.