Yellow Box Junction

Highway code says, amongst other things, do not enter if your exit is clear (rule 174). The law (The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 schedule 19 regulation 29 part 2) states that “no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles”.

Now, I might have gone up to the lights on Lakedale Road in Plumstead in a 26-tonner thinking that would be the only way to trigger the lights. See here:-

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= … 5,0,18.09

Would I be right in thinking that I would not be getting a ticket had I done this leaving half the lorry, hypothetically speaking, not clearing the YBJ? (Seeing how I didn’t stop due to the presence of stationary traffic - thanks to pepipoo.com on this matter)

Snudger:
Highway code says, amongst other things, do not enter if your exit is clear (rule 174). The law (The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 schedule 19 regulation 29 part 2) states that “no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles”.

Now, I might have gone up to the lights on Lakedale Road in Plumstead in a 26-tonner thinking that would be the only way to trigger the lights. See here:-

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= … 5,0,18.09

Would I be right in thinking that I would not be getting a ticket had I done this leaving half the lorry, hypothetically speaking, not clearing the YBJ? (Seeing how I didn’t stop due to the presence of stationary traffic - thanks to pepipoo.com on this matter)

I think the words ‘Keep Clear’ are there for a reason, and the only non moving traffic offence I have ever been done for was a box junction in London on Marylebone Road.

It must have been a quiet day when that Google car was around

In a truck I would stay this side of the yellow box until the lights change.

I was under the impression that you can stop in the yellow hatched area if you are waiting to turn right. Which way might you of been turning at the lights?

Mike-C:
I was under the impression that you can stop in the yellow hatched area if you are waiting to turn right. Which way might you of been turning at the lights?

Good thinking! I would use that excuse, sorry, reason. It’s best to leave room of course as I’m sure the lights would change anyway. It’s right next to Plumstead Fire Station but I just wondered if it was enforceable.

A YBJ offence is, I believe, a moving one as the offence is upon entering the box junction and then stopping due to the presence of stationary vehicles. i.e. you can apparently get off it if you stop without stationary vehicles being around or even if you chose to stop on one and your exit is completely clear!

Mike-C:

But only if your exit is clear, and the only thing stopping you from proceding is on coming traffic

As long as your vehicle is moving(even in crawler!) you have not commuted an offence, the offence is stopping in a prohibited area.

Snudger:
Highway code says, amongst other things, do not enter if your exit is clear (rule 174).

You sure?

Whatever the situation you’ll probably find your employer will pay the penalty rather than have it doubled whilst you try to defend yourself. I believe the offence is committed if you are stationery for more than 2 seconds. The penalty is sent to the vehicle owner. Happened to me in London, 4 years ago, the company paid the £60 penalty and took it from my wages. I rang the council for a copy of the video, they invited me to see the video of the alleged offence but I would have had to travel to their offices, they wouldn’t not send me a copy. Robbing sods the lot of 'em.

I recently recieved a FPN for a box junction offence.

Basically, I set off from a set of lights and there was a pelican crossing on the other side, they turned red, so I stopped, my back end of my trailer was about 6’ into the box junction.

I appealed it, stating that I cannot forsee the future, no vehicles were in front of me and therefore it was not an offence.

I also went on a bit of a rant about wasting my limited time off appealing to this, when it wasn’t an offence anyway and they should be paying me wages etc…

I got a letter sqashing the FPN, but nothing else, ■■■■■■■■■

bubsy06:

Snudger:
Highway code says, amongst other things, do not enter if your exit is clear (rule 174).

You sure?

Oops! Well spotted. What it says is “Enter a box junction only if your exit road is clear”. What a difference a little word can make - not! They can’t get you if you stopped and it wasn’t due to stationary traffic though, I believe.

if you look on the previous frame… (down arrow on the street name), you can see a piezo (sp) sensor in the road behind the learner car, so the traffic lights “know” you are approaching before you get to the YBJ

EDIT…maybe 2 frames back :wink:

markymodem:
if you look on the previous frame… (down arrow on the street name), you can see a piezo (sp) sensor in the road behind the learner car, so the traffic lights “know” you are approaching before you get to the YBJ

I’m sure you are right though it all looks blurry to me. I would have been concerned that the lights would never change if you didn’t advance up to them. Though technically I, in theory, committed no offence I wouldn’t do that if I went that way again. Seems like the car immediately in front of the learner MAY have committed an offence in that other frame.

Snudger:

markymodem:

I’m sure you are right though it all looks blurry to me. I would have been concerned that the lights would never change if you didn’t advance up to them. Though technically I, in theory, committed no offence I wouldn’t do that if I went that way again. Seems like the car immediately in front of the learner MAY have committed an offence in that other frame.

The lights would change in your favour anyway, but even if it relied on a sensor in the road, the opposite junction would be your friend :stuck_out_tongue: