Yellow box junction

I was caught out on a yellow box junction earlier in Birmingham. Before anyone says it, I know I should have been more vigilant. If I have been spotted by someone on camera, is this a fine or fine & points?

Only a fine that is reduced if paid early.I got done as the box was clear, then the lights change and you stuck on it and other vehicles have blocked you in.
For me, it was Cctv operator that watches.
No penalty points.

gurj254:
I was caught out on a yellow box junction earlier in Birmingham. Before anyone says it, I know I should have been more vigilant. If I have been spotted by someone on camera, is this a fine or fine & points?

Don`t worry about it, you must have noticed that Birmingham is pretty lawless when it comes to the roads ?

If a RED light doesn’t really mean much nowadays, a yellow box is just that, a yellow box :open_mouth:

The penalty for stopping in a yellow box is a fine but no points.

I’m not sure what the fine is these days though.

Cheers lads

If it’s enforced by cameras then it’s a decriminalised offence dealt with by the council, but I think only London councils do this.
Anywhere else yellow boxes are enforced by the police and they will stop you at the time if the are going to do anything.

According to This site When it comes to box junctions, it is currently only London councils that have the right to impose fines.

Santa:
According to This site When it comes to box junctions, it is currently only London councils that have the right to impose fines.

Didn’t know that

Came across a half yellow box junction the other day and thought WTF is this, should really have another look at my highway code… :blush:

Like the vocational driver I am treated it the same as all the others (apart from London) and blocked it till some bugger let me out.

I may deny this at a later point in this thread if too many kick off… :wink:

Glen A9:
If it’s enforced by cameras then it’s a decriminalised offence dealt with by the council, but I think only London councils do this.
Anywhere else yellow boxes are enforced by the police and they will stop you at the time if the are going to do anything.

I`ve seen coppers sat in the yellow boxes, in Birmingham totally oblivious :open_mouth:

Sign of the times, especially when they look about 17 :wink:

65quid in Hammersith

Here’s a conundrum for you all.

The A461 at Tipton has a long box junction just before the traffic lights.
If they turn red while negotiating the box do you stop?
If you do stop your trailer is well and truly left blocking the box if you don’t you run a red light. :confused:

A no win situation as there is only one cars length between the end of the box and the traffic light stop line !

moomooland:

If you do stop your trailer is well and truly left blocking the box if you don’t you run a red light. :confused:

A no win situation!

Lol its a trap

moomooland:

A no win situation as there is only one cars length between the end of the box and the traffic light stop line !

I certainly wouldn’t jump a red, no way, far too dangerous…
Its obviously a poorly thought out “trap/box”, cant say Ive noticed it myself, and we do a lot around there :blush:

It would be better to be caught stationary on a YBJ rather than going through a red light, as if the latter wasn’t potentially dangerous enough, assuming the police were there to see it. I have stopped on similar to the Tipton YBJ in London (dunno why other councils can’t get the law changed so they can rake in the fines like they do up there) with no result, because it is not illegal to do so provided it was not caused by the presence of stationary vehicles, i.e. basically, if you stopped on a YBJ due to a red light, you cannot be done. q.v.:- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64169&p=786417&hilit=yellow+london#p786417

I try not to block any junctions etc, but some of these yellow boxes you have no choice! You’d be there all day, especially in rush hour :@

I guess things have moved on :-

walesonline.co.uk/news/wales … us-8048727

Don’t do the “crime” and you won’t get the fine.