yanke

Just a quick word about life on the praries: It will be hot (100+, often) and humid during the summer, bitterly cold (-40) and windy in the winter, the food is awful, the landscape is bleak and barren, and the people are just plain boring.

Yet you slugs keep coming to Canada to scab jobs.
I know you’re not man enough to say that to a person’s face.

People like you couldn’t stand in the shadow of somebody from Saskatoon.
You losers deserve to work for Skanke.

has anyone heard of yanke group of companies running out of saskatoon,canada. they are looking for 25 english drivers to go to canada i am thinking of applying but wanted to know if anybody has got any stories about them before i build my hopes up :smiley: :smiley:

Patrick watched a segment on the news about this company the other night. It said they had recruited over 160 British drivers so far and were looking for more. Patrick has always been extremely skeptical of any company offering immigration assistance to drivers, since he knows of quite a few people who have been scammed… But apparently this company appears legitmate… thats if you can believe the news. Good luck.

thanks kate, i am going to see them tomorrow will let you know how i get on :wink: :wink:

Hey zippy, ask them how much experience they need would you? I’m currently only 250 miles or so south of Sask, and will be free end of November to interview :laughing:
yanke are one of many companies advertising over here for drivers constantly. Wonder if the deal they offer to Brits is anything like the rates they offer to those resident here??

Yanke is a fairly large company, and (from what I’ve seen), they look like they have good equipment. They do cross the border into the US fairly frequently.

Anybody got some links to the info on Brit drivers wanted for Canada. ? Please.

I did, as Kate say’s see a piece on British drivers being recruited by a company or companies in Saskatoon and surounding areas and they seem quite legit. On saying that however, why do they want to make they drivers pay very large amounts of money :question:
I can see why they need drivers, what driver who knows the area would want to live in such a cold place :laughing:
I wish all these guys luck and hope it all works out for them, moving from the UK to Saskatoon is for single guys, I would not recomend moving a family that was used to living in the UK to a place that will drive them crazy, I go crazy living here sometimes, and this is relative civilisation :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just a quick word about life on the praries: It will be hot (100+, often) and humid during the summer, bitterly cold (-40) and windy in the winter, the food is awful, the landscape is bleak and barren, and the people are just plain boring.

AlexxInNY:

I rest my case :exclamation:

went for my interview yesterday. I don’t have to pay anything out except for £60 for work visa. They will pay for training, accomodation and meals during my training, which is 12 days, then I am on the road, earning money. I will have to double man for the first 12 months. Mainly running all over the U.S :smiley: :smiley: Will let you all know if I am accepted. Should know this week. Will be flying out beginning of september if everything is o.k :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :open_mouth:

DAFMAD:
Anybody got some links to the info on Brit drivers wanted for Canada. ? Please.

Zippy, can you PM me some links and or details, please.

zippy:
went for my interview yesterday. I don’t have to pay anything out except for £60 for work visa. They will pay for training, accomodation and meals during my training, which is 12 days, then I am on the road, earning money. I will have to double man for the first 12 months. Mainly running all over the U.S :smiley: :smiley: Will let you all know if I am accepted. Should know this week. Will be flying out beginning of september if everything is o.k :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :open_mouth:

You are very lucky :exclamation: The earlier drivers went through a rip off company called ESI recruitment who charged them about a grand total to hook them up. As I told them all, if the company wants you you need not go through any agency.

Be prepared for the coldest, longest, most desolate winters you can imagine :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I would like to know how you will get on crossing the US border, because I am a legal US resident and still have to go through hell each time, You will have to show a UK passport and without a US visa added to the Canadian one you may have a problem. Things at the border are very strict since 9/11, even regular Canadian driver are held up for a few hours to have documents checked. You are allowed a ‘Visa waiver’ which is valid for 90 days and is obtainable at the crossing but you can’t work using that.

If you take the job, remember that winter on the Canadian praries starts in October. Make your first major purchase a pair of insulated coveralls (Carharrt or whatever Canadian Tire has that’s comparable), a good heavy-duty winter coat (Carharrt or similar), insulated boots (Sorels are good), longshoreman’s hat, and a couple pairs of good, heavy leather gloves. I can nearly guarantee they will be running you on the long, desolate runs that the long-term drivers don’t want. You’ll be throwing chains on tyres several times a week, sometimes in conditions of -40 degrees, 40mph wind, with blowing snow. Trust me-it’s rough up there.
BTW, always carry blankets, candles, a lighter and quick food with you. If you get stuck in a 2-day blizzard and your truck stops running, you’d better be prepared.

Sounds like good advice from Pat, and Alex.

It also sounds like no-one is listening to the warnings :confused:

Is Saskatchewan the home of Big Foot, the Yeti?

Looks Bloody Cold :frowning:

Saskatchewan is the home of the “boomin metropolis” of Saskatoon (for which there is a very rude limerick that comes to mind…), Regina, and miles of wide-open prarie. In all fairness, though, Yanke runs all across Canada and most of the northern tier states of the US as well. As a result, I suspect the expatriates will be running the coastal range passes (Kamloops, BC to Calgary, AB, for one…), maybe runs in more desolate places (Edmonton to Prince Geaorge??), or maybe even the truly polar runs (Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and maybe up to Alaska?). I guarantee it won’t be a picnic!

A decent knowlege of batard French is handy, too, especially if you end up going to rural Quebec. Anyplace in the north, there are Metis settlements where French is the prevailing european language, second to the native dialect. Other tribes refuse to speak French (strangely, most of the natives in Quebec…), and speak mostly in English.

Oh, BTW, don’t do outtakes from the MPFC “lumberjack” sketch-Canadians are tired of hearing it.

I could also point out that nearly all road signs in Quebec are written in french, so reading it would be handy also :exclamation:

Pat Hasler:
I could also point out that nearly all road signs in Quebec are written in french, so reading it would be handy also :exclamation:

Those that aren’t confusing pictographs, that is. I used to laugh at those “truck shower” scale signs. Took me a few months to understand what “Risque De Brouilliard” meant…

well got the job all i have to do now is fill in my work permit and send it to canadian immigration they say it will take 10 days to process, then i have to ring yanke to arrange travel to canada, will perhaps be there for sept 1 :smiley: :smiley: :open_mouth:

:slight_smile: Good luck zippy, keep us posted on your progress. :wink: