Xtra m.s.a's (food vouchers)

I parked on peterborough m.s.a on thurs night,When I went pay I was told there is only one fee which is £12.50 without a food voucher.

I have parked here before & there used to be two fee’s £10 without a voucher & £12.50 with a £4 food voucher,When I mentioned this to the staff they told me that they stopped this in the new year and told me if I wanted to complain (which they were actively encouraging) to ring a phone number which was displayed on the wall and ask fo Paul Coleshill.

So the next day I rang the number & they kindly gave me his mobile number (the fools) which I’ve left in the cab by mistake but I will post on here next week.
when he answered I explained I wanted to complain about the food voucher being removed and he said

“we’ve had to do this to cover the costs of the repairs incurred in the lorry park by drivers which amounts to £500,000 a year”
me- “do you realise that by doing this that you have become the most expensive m.s.a in the country”
him- “we are not the most expensive there are other m.s.a’s that charge more”
me- “yes there are m.s.a’s that charge £15 but they give you a £6 meal voucher so in effect they are only charging £9 for parking”
him- "yes but also do amazing offers for truck drivers that the other m.s.a’s dont do "

“such as?”

“we do a bacon baguette & coffee for only £1.99”

“and?”

“our food is the best quality out of all the m.s.a’s”

“I wouldn’t argue about the quality but I cannot understand why all the other m.s.a’s can manage to provide parking with a meal voucher but you cannot that just says bad managment to me”

“It’s mainly the foreign drivers that do the damage & we are looking at reintroducing the meal voucher after easter if we get enough complaints but we are going to have to increase the cost of parking to £15 so far you are the 21st complait we’ve had since the 6 jan when we withdrew the voucher”

so I urge you all to ring this man and complain if enough of us do this we may be able to get it back to what it was before.The conversation did actually go on for longer than that but I just gave you the edited highlights to keep it relatively short.

I shall check the poll next week to see if it is worth giving out the phone no.

its also £12.50 to park at warwick with no meal voucher

jon

how long has that been jonboy I’m sure Ive parked there and got a meal voucher in the past?

The food is usually rubbish in the m.s.a’s anyway. I prefer cafe’s. I hear that the parking at Penrtih BP has gone down to £10 now. Apparently A.W.Jenkinson (I think) own it now. They have bought the place and are going to continue to run it so see if they can make a profit. If not I suppose that he will base some of his trucks there.

Cambridge is the same as well, theyre taking the urine. At Warwick its £15 with the meal voucher by the way. I’ll ring them, hopefully I’ll be in a bad mood when I do! :laughing: PS what about Magor, thats Xtra? I aint been there for a while.

Mal.

just checed to see how many were interested in ringing up to complain if i gave out his phone but i dont think i’ll bother now! :cry: :cry:

Why do you bother parking at MSA’s in the first place ? :unamused: Why complain about the prices when you can easily park in the just-as-“secure” industrial estate down the road from most of them. In my time I’ve had one attempted container break in at an alleged “secure” MSA and two separate occasions of having the curtains ripped. Never had any bother on the industrial estates I’ve parked on and much quieter than listening to Fred & Geoff talking to each other at the top of their voices whilst they clang about swapping trailers at 2am in the morning.

If you boss dictates you have to stop at them for “security” reasons then you have no reason to bleat. :smiley: :unamused: :exclamation: :bulb:

NSH.

I haven’t done a night out in years, by choice, but I am puzzled by the reasoning used to justify the increase. When I was doing the night outs I’d use the outlets on the service area with the food voucher but with no voucher the wagon rations would be used.

“we’ve had to do this to cover the costs of the repairs incurred in the lorry park by drivers which amounts to £500,000 a year”

Thats a 200,000 trucks that need to overnight in that area in the course of a year which would require a parking area capable of holding roughly 700 trucks. Sounds to me like another fine example of “Rip off Britain” as practiced by these latter day ■■■■ Turpins. Of course make it expensive enough and the “problem” will go away, into somebody elses parking area, and then maybe open up the develoment for a hotel/lodge building.

Some of the other PR speak is just more Bovine Waste. For example

“amazing offers for truck drivers…”.

Unless they are offers for truck drivers only then they are not “amazing offers for truck drivers…” they are standard offers. Me I’ll continue to vote with my feet an purchasing choices. If there are discounts available by right as the result of membership of a motoring organisation I’ll use it. If the pricing is excessive I won’t buy it unless in dire need. MSA’s have an obligation to provide rest areas, I have a choice to the money I put over the counter at these places.

Rob K:
Why do you bother parking at MSA’s in the first place ?

I hear what you are saying and I try to avoid as much as poss.on this occaision it was the most convenient option.

rob k:
Why complain about the prices when you can easily park in the just-as-“secure” industrial estate down the road from most of them.

If nobody complains nothing will change!!!

If enough people complain maybe we will finally achieve somthing towards making our job just a little less stressful.

But from the response to this thread it looks like the same old story in our industry .

Apathy! :cry:

thats not aimed at you rob,more the people who did not respond.

do not do nights out so does not affect me.

understand wot u are saying though.

went to milan as a passenger with a mate couple of weeks ago
and ALL places we parked were free, all had good clean toilets , some had showers
and i had the best meal ever when on the road at carisio ( ? ) sp.

as said we live in rip off britain. :frowning:

I’m happy yo ring him.

Rob K:
Never had any bother on the industrial estates I’ve parked on and much quieter than listening to Fred & Geoff talking to each other at the top of their voices whilst they clang about swapping trailers at 2am in the morning.

:

My thoughts exactly. My boss will refund parking costs, but I haven`t parked in a MSA or Truckstop for years.

I deliver to a lot of builders merchants, and I`m happiest when parked on a dark and silent little industrial estate in Bala or Liskeard or Church Stretton or somesuch

In three years of doing this, out four nights a week, I haven`t had so much as one curtain ■■■■■.

Vince

rob k:
Why complain about the prices when you can easily park in the just-as-“secure” industrial estate down the road from most of them.

If nobody complains nothing will change!!!

If enough people complain maybe we will finally achieve somthing towards making our job just a little less stressful.

But if no-one parks at them at all then job solved. That’s much better than phoning up, giving their lug-holes some bashing and then parking up there later that night paying your £12 or whatever.

I didn’t answer as I think the question should have been

do they care if we ring or are they not bothered

I think I know the answer there!

I never use any services as I think they are smelly noisy overpriced and prime areas for thieves to to find loads to steel from trucks

Just my opinion!

I have NEVER paid to park in this country thats 15 + yrs driving, there again ive always worked for companies that dont pay .

Granada used to be the funniest to deal with Hilton Park was high on the list, stopped ther one night, yer man came & said you have to pay to park here , told him MR davies dont pay to park chap…cya, back to sleep wiv grin on my face, then heard all this banging & commotion outside , opened curtain to see this mook appling a wheel clamp

■■■■ I thought phoned Mr D who said tell him youll pay ,then when he takes the thing off drive off…so I did & he got BIG bill…lol :laughing: