XF injector problem

2004 XF 480,starting losing power and engine warning on,plugged it in and the diagnostic said injector 1 and 2 problem,got all the injectors done (1 and 2 were faulty),put the injectors back in and now when the engine is started at first it wont rev past 1600 rpm,after a minute or two it will rev higher,the truck is still down on power as much as it was before the injectors were done but no engine warnings on,checked on the diagnostic and no warnings either.
Changed all filters,checked and cleaned the fuel pipes,checked the exhaust brake was not sticking and replaced the throttle pedal control unit but nothing made any diference,anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

( I sent you a pm yesterday Norb but maybe you didn’t get it?)

Wiring fault being misinterpreted as injector fault by diagnostics maybe - symptoms don’t sound entirely like it though. Don’t know why but something with DAFs immediately makes me think wiring fault.

Thought of that too but the guy that did the injectors said that one and two were definitely gone so the diagnostics were right about that, I was told if the fuel pump was faulty is would show up in the faults.

Were they new or recon injectors?

I know it would be a big coincidence, but you could have bad injectors again!

The other thing it could be is that there wasn’t actually anything wrong with the original injectors, just a wiring fault, which still exists!

Got them reconditioned, you’d think the engine warning would come on if it was a wiring problem though?

Yes, I’ve had a few issues with an engine (not a Daf) that were purely bad wiring harnesses, yet it was throwing codes.

I would check wiring/sensors were in good shape before I changed any metal parts, unless it was blatantly obvious there was a problem.

Firstly, did you get all 6 injectors done, or just the two?

If you only got the two done, that could be why it is still down on power

Secondly, have you had the intercooler pressure tested?

That would be another cause of being down on power if that is leaking

If its the MX engine they dont have “electronic” injectors.All fuel flow is controlled through the dump valves on the unit pumps.Would check for a leaking main gallery pressure relief valve,worn cam or worn pump rollers.

The pump solenoid wiring and solenoid resistances are easy to check.
Some unit pump engines have twin ECUs one driving pumps 123 and the other 456.

Yes all six done, no obvious problem with the intercooler, you’d see or hear it, but why won’t it rev past 1600 rpm when it’s started first? Seems more like a sensor than the intercooler?

Bking:
If its the MX engine they dont have “electronic” injectors.All fuel flow is controlled through the dump valves on the unit pumps.Would check for a leaking main gallery pressure relief valve,worn cam or worn pump rollers.

Did you read the OP fully?

It clearly states it is a 2004 XF 480

That would be the XE engine, as the MX engine wasn’t released until 2006, and it was either a 410, 460 or 510

shuttlespanker:

Bking:

Did you read the OP fully?

It clearly states it is a 2004 XF 480

That would be the XE engine, as the MX engine wasn’t released until 2006, and it was either a 410, 460 or 510

Yes should have read original question more carefully.Problem is it a DAF engine so its crap.Buy a new one.Preferably with a fuel system that aint out of Noahs Arc.

Never ceases to amaze me how some just dismiss Daf as crap!? No truck is perfect and considering this one is 9 years old with 820, 000 kms on the clock and the pump or injectors have never been touched until now is not bad going in my opinion :exclamation:

Transc:
Never ceases to amaze me how some just dismiss Daf as crap!? No truck is perfect and considering this one is 9 years old with 820, 000 kms on the clock and the pump or injectors have never been touched until now is not bad going in my opinion :exclamation:

I would agree 100% with your post , DAF produce very very good trucks , just because its not SCANIA across the front of the cab seems to suggest its no use !!!.

Bking:

A 2004 DAF will be an XE (EURO3 non adblue SCR) engine with a UPEC fuel system. On the UPEC system the injectors are not electronic but purely mechanical ,the pressure built up in the pump units is what fires the injectors when the ECU operates the pump unit

A MX engine has the DMCI ( EURO 4 AND 5 with all the adblue SCR kit ) fuel system with electronically controlled injectors …both the DMCI pump units and injectors are coded/trimmed to the ECU

The MX engine wasn’t out in 2004 !!! Not even customer validation vehicles

norb:

Bking:

A 2004 DAF will be an XE (EURO3 non adblue SCR) engine with a UPEC fuel system. On the UPEC system the injectors are not electronic but purely mechanical ,the pressure built up in the pump units is what fires the injectors when the ECU operates the pump unit

A MX engine has the DMCI ( EURO 4 AND 5 with all the adblue SCR kit ) fuel system with electronically controlled injectors …both the DMCI pump units and injectors are coded/trimmed to the ECU

The MX engine wasn’t out in 2004 !!! Not even customer validation vehicles

So what kind of dik builds an injection system with a lead pump(injection pump for numpties) and then sticks on electric dump injectors and rubber sealed cam shaft actuated injectors which “tend” to leak and ■■■■ diesel into the sump oil.Another "engineer "thought of this system no doubt.Better to leave it to the amatuers eh.

Transc:

Buy a Merc and clock 2 million clicks then tell me how good DAF are!
Strip the donkey and it dont even have liners out of limits and the pistons just maybe need new rings.

Bking:

Transc:

Strip the donkey and it dont even have liners out of limits and the pistons just maybe need new rings.

I only asked for some help regarding a Daf,don’t need to be told you think they’re crap :open_mouth:
You’re entitled to your opinion but in this case you can keep it to yourself :unamused:

Bking:

Transc:

Tell us more Bking , just interested .?

Mercedes may build a crap truck as for cabs ,gearboxes etc but one thing they can build is engines and rear axles.The worst fault on the motors,and this is over a million kilometers is a leaking horseshoe fuel line,add blue faults,2 leaking injector pintles and 3 weeping head gaskets.The compressors(wabco) are crap.Talking straight 6 here not the crap V motor.
You take the buggers apart and,as long as they are serviced correctly,they seem to go on forever,never had a problem with a merc rear axle.Over a hundred 18 or25 40 in the fleet. sorry also had 2 collapsed cam followers but was warranty.

Sorry had a spate of fan hub bearing fauilures but has been put right now.They used cheap east european parts for a production run but they paid for all repairs.