XF auto

jumped in a different unit yesterday and quickly realised there was no clutch pedal or shifter… :open_mouth:

didn’t even know we had auto’s in the yard. anyhoo i’m just wondering what the trick is for smooth driving with an auto box. i nearly made myself seasick yesterday, bloody lurching about. i found the hill start assist button quickly and that worked a treat for getting out of junctions but i just couldn’t drive smoothly.

cheers

They seem to adapt to the driver ( someone may tell me im wrong :open_mouth:) as i can tell when somebodies ragged the ■■■■ out of during the day as the gear changes go all notchy. (Or as again it could just be me)

mines a cf auto(same as xf’s in our yard) but if you dont press the pedal fully to the floor it seems to be better( until your getting on a motorway or dc of course).
also when reversing its a hell of a lot better if you switch it to r with a tortoise symbol and just feather the accelerator until it bites so to speak.

I personally would much rather have a manual. If youre on a 6 legger they are a pita! I pull double deck with mine and its useless in the wet i have to put the lift axle up on every traffic light or junction to stop the thing from wheel spinning! :imp:

Hope the essay helps

Isla

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk

The trick is in the right foot. :wink:
I have been driving a DAF 105 auto for 18 months,it just takes a bit of getting used to like anything,if you drive it for any length of time then you get to know the vehicle you’re driving and adjust our driving style accordingly.
slow speed precision on a DAF is tricky at first,but they aren’nt that bad after a while and I am NOT a fan of DAF’s at all!!!

Definitely agree it’s all to do with the right foot, be gentle with it and it will reward you.

Are most new trucks auto these days, and are they any harder or easier to drive, any quirks ?

Wannabeheretolearn:
Are most new trucks auto these days, and are they any harder or easier to drive, any quirks ?

Most new trucks come autos these days I think, manual is almost becoming an optional extra :open_mouth: easier i’d probably say, but you need to be careful with them when reversing. There was a video on here some time ago of a man having a really bad day trying to reverse a morrisons artic which was an auto and you could see the cab jumping all over the place. They can be pain in the asses at roundabouts and on hills, for example if you want to hold on to a gear for a little longer they change up when you least want them to, but this can be easily cured by switching it to manual on the stalk if the unit has one.

:slight_smile: