xf 105 mpg

Got a meeting with the daf salesman monday am to get a price for a new lorry,I have a list a mile long of options i would like on the spec.One of them being a 510.Now my question is this is there much of a penilty in fuel consuption between the 510 and the 460 i have a very light right foot as i am the one paying for the dieasel but i just fancey the bigger engine for the heavier weights and less stress for the engine but if the 510 is alot thirster i will go for the 460

Why don’t you ask the DAF salesman if DAF have solved the prob of synthetic engine oil destroying engines!!!

You wont go far wrong with an XF that does 105 mpg
:smiley:

Had a 95 310, an XF 530 and 2 XF 105 510’s. Each one was better on fuel than the last. The build quality got worse though !
Go for a manual, you’ll get more for it when you sell it and don’t bother with the Kelsa catalogue, you’ll save 0.5mpg.

And dont forget to factor the adblue usage into your fuel usage figures for a true mpg :smiley:

my mate was buying DAF’s because they were 10k cheaper than volvo, but he has gone back to Volvo as they are the same price now.
Dont buy an auto…

thanks for the replies so far but i was looking for actuel mpg figues my 8 year old 480ssc with over 1 million kms on it is always high 8’s but more oftern over 9 on dock trl work i will add that is with a mixture of weights and some empty running

Hi Proffessor, I have driven several ssc 460’s on a mixture of weights, all manual 16 speed, on container work, they are easily doing upper nines, I always check the consumption, apparently the new 12 speed box is more economical, none of the motors are fitted with kelsa bars, I don’t always drive the same truck so it is a fairly good representative guide, they pull well but I don’t know how they compare to the older 480,
Hope that’s Of use, Kevin

According to the esso fuel check thing they do with our fuel cards our 2007 510 DAF is doing 7.9MPG if it helps he averages a load wieght of 25tons per day run over medium distance of around 320 miles round trips.

thank you all for your help after talking to the salesman and considering every thing i have gone for a 460 12 speed manual box no light bars but skylights running on 315x70,s I am going for max mpg and like the kaiser said in an earlier post the lightbars will drag down the mpg

Professor:
thank you all for your help after talking to the salesman and considering every thing i have gone for a 460 12 speed manual box no light bars but skylights running on 315x70,s I am going for max mpg and like the kaiser said in an earlier post the lightbars will drag down the mpg

The do indeed knocks around 0.6 0.7MPG off the MAN i currently drive good job i havnt got michelin men up there :open_mouth: