X-mas is coming

Christmas is coming as I’ve just received this text from an agency I did some work for 4 years ago. No mention of the sudden drop in work in the New Year[emoji898]

Xxxxxxx are now recruiting for HGV 1 drivers at Xxxxxx xxxx. 100% trunking, full time ongoing work, start times around the clock & a new fleet of Mercedes and DAF. Pay rates from £12PH Monday to Friday and up to £15PH at weekends. For more information please call our onsite team

Rates going down yet again :unamused:

Here we go…

Mmmmmm day cab CFs and Axors. I’m sooooo envious

Sent using smoke and mirrors.

PaulNowak:
Mmmmmm day cab CFs and Axors. I’m sooooo envious

Does it really matter for trunking ? A truck is a truck if you don’t have to live in it.

Couldn’t do it I’m afraid. Wouldn’t be my bag at all.

Christmas at Asda in days gone by…

First call from agency ‘Asda need drivers for xmas, good rates’. Ignore that one.

Second call ‘Asda really need drivers, we’re upping the rate a bit, interested?’. Ignore that one too.

Third call ‘Asda have ALL shifts available ALL hours CDC and ADC work if you want, small cash bonus offered’. Ignore that one.

Fourth call ‘Asda are absolutley crying out for drivers, they’ve waived the Asda driving test rule, ALL shifts, LARGE cash bonus and what ever rate you’re gonna charge we’ll pay… PLEASE go in for us cos they’ve threatened never to use us again if we don’t find drivers for them’. That’s the call I’d give a start time to.

supply and demand

There wasn’t a great increase in work last Christmas anyway.

“All good things come to an end” and I suspect the agency’s is nigh. Once our EU colleagues have their current ‘free movement’ rule amended. Agencies will be dealt a punishing blow. All the UK drivers they have discriminated against will be their only alternative. I’d love to hear a few of the conversations, I know I personally have some choice words ready.

Honestly !

Agencies are ■■■■■■■■■ I’ve been playing the same old boring games with them for about 4 years now… and before anyone starts; I DON’T WANT full time work! I am on a pension from a previous life and have no desire or need to work 60, 70, or more, hours per week. I do about 2 shifts per week just now and that usually works out about 25 hours - that’s enough thanks.

I am tired of the phone calls asking for me to get out of bed at 4am to travel 30 miles and start at 6.00; do a 9 hour shift but get paid for 8.25, then drive home again. All for 8.25 x £8.50, less tax and NI (20% tax thanks to pension), and petrol. To save you working it out, it’s about £45 in my hand. For class 1, that is… I refuse most shifts now, apart from ones I’m likely to get about £70 take home. I had a temporary job in the summer as a caretaker at a football pavilion. Work was soooo easy, and hourly rate was 17 pence less than class 1 driving!

There might be some good driving jobs out there, but not in this area. Haulage is broken, with a capital “F”.

Christmas or no Christmas, agencies can go and do one, I hope the ■■■■■■■ go out of business.

alcraw62:
Agencies are [zb]. I’ve been playing the same old boring games with them for about 4 years now… and before anyone starts; I DON’T WANT full time work! I am on a pension from a previous life and have no desire or need to work 60, 70, or more, hours per week. I do about 2 shifts per week just now and that usually works out about 25 hours - that’s enough thanks.

I am tired of the phone calls asking for me to get out of bed at 4am to travel 30 miles and start at 6.00; do a 9 hour shift but get paid for 8.25, then drive home again. All for 8.25 x £8.50, less tax and NI (20% tax thanks to pension), and petrol. To save you working it out, it’s about £45 in my hand. For class 1, that is… I refuse most shifts now, apart from ones I’m likely to get about £70 take home. I had a temporary job in the summer as a caretaker at a football pavilion. Work was soooo easy, and hourly rate was 17 pence less than class 1 driving!

There might be some good driving jobs out there, but not in this area. Haulage is broken, with a capital “F”.

Christmas or no Christmas, agencies can go and do one, I hope the [zb] go out of business.

That’s the issue ain’t it. Every ■■■■■■ undercutting everyone else. Was same when I was in Security. £7 nights in Leicester, then asked to go Tamworth for £6.50 ph which was the then current min wage and this was night work. That desperate for me to go they offered me whatever days I wanted.

Sad state of affairs these days.

alcraw62:
All for 8.25 x £8.50, less tax and NI (20% tax thanks to pension)

Surely if you remain under your tax code…

You won’t pay any tax at all.

NI yes, tax no.

Not agency related, but sat waiting for a box next to another truck this morning in Tilbury Container port. I heard him shout ‘f**ing hell’ from inside his cab. He looked at me, dropped his window and said he had just read the delivery note he had for the box he was collecting.
Christmas trees for Homebase!..somebody remind me it is still September.

Twoninety88:
Not agency related, but sat waiting for a box next to another truck this morning in Tilbury Container port. I heard him shout ‘f**ing hell’ from inside his cab. He looked at me, dropped his window and said he had just read the delivery note he had for the box he was collecting.
Christmas trees for Homebase!..somebody remind me it is still September.

Bulk Buy and ship out of season for a rock bottom price, sell in December = maximum profit , first rule of retail marketing strategy, just the same as moving easter eggs in January. :wink:

yourhavingalarf:

alcraw62:

NI yes, tax no.

Thanks to gordon brown if your pension exceeds your personal allowance it is taxable at 20% .Any other earnings are lumped in with it and charged at 20% . Even if your pension does not exceed your personal allowance , other earnings can take it over and you pay 20% on the whole lot .

rigsby:

yourhavingalarf:

alcraw62:

NI yes, tax no.

Thanks to gordon brown (questionable) if your pension exceeds your personal allowance it is taxable at 20%.Correct, but only the part over your allowance. Any other earnings are lumped in with it and charged at 20%. Correct. Even if your pension does not exceed your personal allowance, other earnings can take it over and you pay 20% on the whole lot. Incorrect. You only pay 20% on earnings over the threshold.

I’m in the same boat. My pension is just short of my allowance, so I don’t get rogered for 20% until roundabout the 12th April. :cry:

I hope that makes sense, been in the pub all week and still another week to go… :confused:

nickb67:

rigsby:

yourhavingalarf:

alcraw62:

NI yes, tax no.

Thanks to gordon brown (questionable) if your pension exceeds your personal allowance it is taxable at 20%.Correct, but only the part over your allowance. Any other earnings are lumped in with it and charged at 20%. Correct. Even if your pension does not exceed your personal allowance, other earnings can take it over and you pay 20% on the whole lot. Incorrect. You only pay 20% on earnings over the threshold.

I’m in the same boat. My pension is just short of my allowance, so I don’t get rogered for 20% until roundabout the 12th April. :cry:

I hope that makes sense, been in the pub all week and still another week to go… :confused:

my mistake , i should have said over the threshold . my pension is just over the threshold and every rise we get raises the tax bill . 600 quid this year or 10 quid a week , ain’t retirement wonderful . btw it was gordon brown who pulled state pension into taxable income