ww1?

its 90 years since the end of the great war and only 3 veterans survive.
Can anyone explain why at least 10 million young men gave their lifes for king and country? and was the world a better place afterwards?
In my humble opinion when the last veteran dies we should start looking forward not back at past conflicts and the government that sends people to die should look after our own and not rely on charity.

I’ll get my crash helmet on and wait for the replies.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38073

Mr B:
its 90 years since the end of the great war and only 3 veterans survive.

god rest everyone’s sole that has given their lives to allow us our freedom

Mr B:
Can anyone explain why at least 10 million young men gave their lifes for king and country? and was the world a better place afterwards?

in case you have forgotten there was relative peace throughout the world from 1918 until 1939 (not very long is it really, 21 years) but where would the world have been if these brave hero’s hadn’t done what they did?

Mr B:
In my humble opinion when the last veteran dies we should start looking forward not back at past conflicts and the government that sends people to die should look after our own and not rely on charity.

So you are basically saying we should forget what they have done and “just get on with our lives”? Are you for ■■■■■■■ real? You should be put in a time machine and sent back in time to 1940 and made to be a Jew in Germany. Let’s see if you would be happy to forget what these sailors, soldiers and airmen did for all of us?

Why did they send them to war and not look after their own? Because if they hadn’t taken the offensive there would have been a very good possibility that you would be speaking German now and there would not be any Jews on this planet under ■■■■ rule. Are you that thick you think this?

I hope you didn’t buy a poppy because as a serving member of the Armed forces civvies like you make me sick. I am very very proud to wear my poppy with pride and will use my last £1 in my pocket to buy one. The guys that have done things for us that you can only watch in the comfort of your nice house on your nice tele deserve every single penny they get from charities and I would say that 99.9% of people feel the same.

Mr B:
I’ll get my crash helmet on and wait for the replies.

Try buying a motor bike with it and ■■■■■■■ off!

Saying things like what you have just said really upsets me. Get a grip and get over your self importance you selfish insensitive bloke.

I have just had a look at the thread about Clarkson’s comments and you said you found them offensive ……………………………………………………

How do you think about all the peoples families that died during the wars feel about your comments? He made a comment about prostitutes being murdered and you are offended. What about all the people that died to allow us the freedom to watch tele and to be able to hear presenters have free speech on tele?

I have met numerous old boys that were involved in the war. The most poignant moment was when I met some of the commandos that took part in the raid on St. Nazaire in France (HMS Cambletown) St Nazire Raid who had the left side of his face melted off with a blow torch and his teeth pulled out with pliers to get him to say where the other escapee’s were, but he didn’t because he knew they would all be killed. How do you think he feels about your comments? Three months after getting back to Britain after his escape from a POW camp he was sent to the frontline in Japan. You would not be suitable to look at his medals let alone polish them.

if you read my post you’ll notice i don’t mention ww2 that was fought for a principle. I’ve visited the death camp in austwitz and given a chance i’d would’ve fought against the nazis.
My question is why was the 1st world was fought?
Historically we’re closer to the germans than french.
Our language is germanic in structure
At the time and to the present day our monarch is of german descent.
But 10 million british men died in the fields of france and belgium i simply want to understand why?

to stop the german war machine from taking over europe and the world by using force, murder and supression. is that a good enough reason?

Giblsa:
to stop the german war machine from taking over europe and the world by using force, murder and supression. is that a good enough reason?

I realise this is an emotive subject at a bad time, one of my granddads was killed in ww2 that was a just war fought to protect freedom against the closest to evil we’ll ever see.

You’re confusing world wars.

A serb assatinated an austrian and we got drawn into the bloodiest was ever why?

a Serbian who shot the Austrian Archduke. The Serbian was part of a nationalist terrorist group. Basically, the Austrian-Hungarian Empire annexed Bosnia-Herzegovina, which is right next to Serbia, and Serbia didn’t like this, especially Serbian radicals. So when the Archduke was visiting Sarajevo in Bosnia, he was assassinated by a terrorist group called the Black Hand. Austria-Hungary soon declared war on Serbia and Russia came to its protection, then the rest of the alliance system kicked in, bringing Germany in with Austria-Hungary, and the French and British in with Russia. So it kind of spiraled out of control from the conflict with Serbia, but there were underlying factors that led to the war as well, though this was the direct cause.

Copied from Yahoo Answers, I couldn’t be arsed to type it all out.

we got drawn in due to our alliance with France and Russia and as they say the rest is history, as per normal in the battles of life, no one country would back down until it was on the verge of complete collapse and that is why there were so many losses on both sides, just because one country didn’t have the balls big enough to admit defeat and say enough is enough.

there were so many losses due to the fact of the distinct lack of planning by the commands of both sides, and due to the fact that weapons were still in a primitive state (compared with 2nd world war and today) and were a lot more gruesome, plus the fact medical care was a case of patch it up or cut it off. i know wars shouldn’t happen but it is human nature to fight, the same as it is in the animal world, and nothing will ever change that. the only thing that changes is the technology and the aftercare of injured soldiers.

the only way to avoid war is to ban all religion throughout the world but that would cause a war in itself.

we cant turn back time and bring all the service people killed in war and the civilians that have died due to war back but we can remember them and pay our respects to what they have sacrificed for us, even to the people that are getting injured and killed in the conflicts of today.

gibsla i meant no offense in my post. Your understanding of history is the same as mine ww1 was a terrible mistake, a turning point in history that has no logical reason.
We should honour our war dead and we should take better care of the brave men who fight on our behalf but we should always question why we send our young men to die in foreign fields.

Giblsa:
the only way to avoid war is to ban all religion throughout the world but that would cause a war in itself.

you had my vote until you came up with this stupid quote,
imperialism was the cause of the 1st world war, the killing of archduke ferdinand was just the trigger not the cause.
blaming it on religion is the easy way of stalling any discussion because there is nearly always a sectarian divide between combatants.
if it had anything to do with religion why did america not declare war on the ottoman empire when they joined the war.
they only declared war on germany because the germans were attacking US ships

Sorry Biggus, maybe religion wasn’t the right word, but why did the Germans start to attack American ships? Was it because the Americans were supporting the allies? Or so the Germans thought and they subsequently were sucked into the war (the Americans that is).

At the end of the day it all boils down to ways different people/countries look at things. The First World War started because the Serbian radicals didn’t like Austrian-Hungarian Empire effectively annexing a country they were neighbours with. Therefore assassinated the so called invaders leader and it got a bit heated to say the least. Germany didn’t like the fact that Russia backed up the Serbians when they were attacked so they joined in and then Britain and France came to the aid of the Russians as they were allies (you could liken it to a fight in a pub where someone spills someone else’s pint and it all kicks off so you help your mate who is getting a kicking and then the other persons mates join in to even it out.) Just because of one person’s actions everyone suffers.

As for the second world war it was all because one person (Hitler) thought he was the leader of the master race and everyone else should follow their regime and if any didn’t fall into his category of the master race would be ethnically cleansed (the Jews and then was starting on the coloureds of the world) hoping to eliminate all that opposed him as per normal alliances were formed and it all went wrong again.

I wasn’t saying that we should ban religion it was just a way of saying that humans should be able to get along and live and let live.

Wars just create casualties and deaths and if there was a way of stopping it all with the wave of the hand I think we should. Don’t get me wrong I am not a member of CND or anything like that but I just don’t think anyone should have to go to war.

Even though I am in the armed forces I don’t agree with war, to me it is a job and if I have to go to war I will. I agree with standing up for your rights and defending what is yours but invading other countries should not be done, anyone that does should be asked to leave or forcibly removed (back to pub scenario again). I do not agree with the wars that are going on in the middle east at the moment but it is my job to support the troops that are there and I do that to the best of my ability and if the navy deemed it worthwhile to send me there then I would go. Just because I don’t believe in what we are doing over there and think our lads should come home it isn’t my decision.

War is a terrible thing but will always happen as long as people have different beliefs. There is no way of stopping it that would suit everyone……………………………………

Any war is wrong for whatever reason.
There are reasons for war and the 4 I can see that you can put into any of them are

1 Greed
2 Religion
3 polotics
4 power

There will never be peace in any world

Even the smallest of conflicts between even 2 people can be looked at as war …there is no difference between any conflict and any war except the casualties…and the cause

you and the wife disagree you argue … conflict
you and the wife make up … result
you and the wife split up … conflict again because the next war between you starts … WHO GETS WHAT

she wants the house you get sod all so your gonna fight for half

It’s that simple to start a war / conflict

Giblsa:
Sorry Biggus, maybe religion wasn’t the right word, but why did the Germans start to attack American ships? Was it because the Americans were supporting the allies? Or so the Germans thought and they subsequently were sucked into the war (the Americans that is).

At the end of the day it all boils down to ways different people/countries look at things. The First World War started because the Serbian radicals didn’t like Austrian-Hungarian Empire effectively annexing a country they were neighbours with. Therefore assassinated the so called invaders leader and it got a bit heated to say the least. Germany didn’t like the fact that Russia backed up the Serbians when they were attacked so they joined in and then Britain and France came to the aid of the Russians as they were allies (you could liken it to a fight in a pub where someone spills someone else’s pint and it all kicks off so you help your mate who is getting a kicking and then the other persons mates join in to even it out.) Just because of one person’s actions everyone suffers.

As for the second world war it was all because one person (Hitler) thought he was the leader of the master race and everyone else should follow their regime and if any didn’t fall into his category of the master race would be ethnically cleansed (the Jews and then was starting on the coloureds of the world) hoping to eliminate all that opposed him as per normal alliances were formed and it all went wrong again.

I wasn’t saying that we should ban religion it was just a way of saying that humans should be able to get along and live and let live.

Wars just create casualties and deaths and if there was a way of stopping it all with the wave of the hand I think we should. Don’t get me wrong I am not a member of CND or anything like that but I just don’t think anyone should have to go to war.

Even though I am in the armed forces I don’t agree with war, to me it is a job and if I have to go to war I will. I agree with standing up for your rights and defending what is yours but invading other countries should not be done, anyone that does should be asked to leave or forcibly removed (back to pub scenario again). I do not agree with the wars that are going on in the middle east at the moment but it is my job to support the troops that are there and I do that to the best of my ability and if the navy deemed it worthwhile to send me there then I would go. Just because I don’t believe in what we are doing over there and think our lads should come home it isn’t my decision.

War is a terrible thing but will always happen as long as people have different beliefs. There is no way of stopping it that would suit everyone……………………………………

well put this time,
to answer your question, america was trading with whoever they wanted, they were neutral, germany attacked their shipping even after being warned off, america retaliated and declared war on germany.
to your other point the killing of the archduke was just the trigger, germany at the time was growing as an industrial power but didn’t have the empire that britain and france had to gain resourses and used this minor conflict to try to increase their territories, the russians tried to check their progress and the result we all know about.