WTF is going on?

Dear Fellow Trucknetters,

I haven’t been on here for quite a few months really and while I used to enjoy coming on and having a laugh, learning things from the old hands and picking up tips that others have shared amongst us I now feel it has gone downhill. Some days I can’t even be ■■■■■■ to look in. I have made some good friends over the years and met some cracking people off here and also fell out with a few but sadly I feel the clientele has somewhat gone a bit “soft” shall we say.

What the hell is up with people now a days? Most of the posts on here now seem to either ■■■■■ about the fact they don’t want to work over 9 hours even if they are getting overtime? (you wanna try working for take home of just over £400 with 5 nights away (cos the firm was struggling) on max hours every week. I did for a few weeks and for some reason it didn’t work out :open_mouth: !) Or taking photos of people that might have just made a miss judgement in their long/hard working day :unamused: . Or they aint happy because they haven’t been given the superdupertrottermega space motor with Alcoa wheels and all the lights :grimacing: ?

Maybe I’m simple (some will say I am anyway :laughing: ) and will do a hard days work for an honest wage, but does this industry not need hard working people rather than people that are afraid to take a lorry out because there is an inch of snow falling in Norway? Or wont change a bulb in a trailer light as they might break a nail doing it? Or won’t do a night out because they haven’t got their tele armchair and play station with them? What the ■■■■ is going on? No wonder this country is in such a ■■■■ state when a lot of the people coming into the industry are of the “the world owes me a living” brigade!

A lot of people in Britain at the moment can’t find jobs and they are willing to work any/max hours for a decent wage, yet some folk can’t even be bothered to do a few hours of overtime!

Some folks on here need to get a grip and look for a career change as obviously driving isn’t for them. Maybe working in a beauty parlour or a perfume boutique would suit some a bit more!

Rant over

Not me.I’d be prefer to drive an old truck rather than a modern electric computer controlled star ship thanks.Although the American double drive spec would help to get it through the few inches of snow that would stop the typical Euro heap.Maybe that’s why the drivers are scared of taking them out when it gets a bit slippery.The only thing stopping me is,that even though I’d be happy to earn around £250 per week, because I don’t need £500 + overtime,the job would’nt even pay the £250 because of the east european competition and the overheads.So if you can afford to do the job for nothing good luck.

6.5/10 poor, even by your lazy standards Mr G :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:
Not me.I’d be prefer to drive an old truck rather than a modern electric computer controlled star ship thanks.Although the American double drive spec would help to get it through the few inches of snow that would stop the typical Euro heap.Maybe that’s why the drivers are scared of taking them out when it gets a bit slippery.The only thing stopping me is,that even though I’d be happy to earn around £250 per week, because I don’t need £500 + overtime,the job would’nt even pay the £250 because of the east european competition and the overheads.So if you can afford to do the job for nothing good luck.

Funny, I’ve been driving a euro heap all week and all last week, even today, and not got stuck yet…

Been upto Carlisle, down to Southampton and Felixstowe, Bolton yesterday and around Manchester today…

Didn’t need double drive, or even diff locks, even my car was fine taking me to and from work, and that’s not got double drive either

waynedl:

Carryfast:

Funny, I’ve been driving a euro heap all week and all last week, even today, and not got stuck yet…

Been upto Carlisle, down to Southampton and Felixstowe, Bolton yesterday and around Manchester today…

Didn’t need double drive, or even diff locks, even my car was fine taking me to and from work, and that’s not got double drive either

Same here. And I’ve been in some terrible situations over past 3 weeks. I have needed diff lock though. To be honest I’m amazed at my new twin steer Scania. Never driven anything like it in the ice and snow. Once you get moving (easily i might add) it’s so stable in the ice and snow it’s unreal. Think the Michelin tyres help

But let’s not get into another multipage argument. And yes Mr G I know exactly what you mean

exactly wayne, it doesnt have to have all the “get me out the snow/muck/■■■■” switches on it, it just needs a bit of common sense and set of balls to give it a go! thats the point im trying to make.

and carry fast, im not saying people should work for nowt, im saying that if your asked to do a bit of overtime is it really the end of the world or do people not want to work now a days?

its a good job im not a boss and someone refuses to take a job out as they will be working for more than 11 hours! a quiet word would be had followed by the handing over of a shiny piece of paper with P45 in the top corner.

it just boils my ■■■■ that some folk are just looking for an excuse to do ■■■■ all all day but expect decent wages for it! some need to try being in the forces. while we were down the gulf in 2003 we were working defence watches for 6 weeks at a time with 3 days alongside (to restock and maintain equipment so it wasnt 3 days off either) between each stint of them, in defence watches you work 5’s and 7’s rotational or 8’s (5 hours on watch, 5 hours off, 7 hours on watch, 7 hours off - or 8 hours on 8 off straight through) but in your off watch they might have fire exercises or real incidents and you cant just say youyre not doing it!

waynedl:

Carryfast:

Yeah right so all the news reports of stuck trucks and missed deliveries recently must all be faked and I’ve got my sums wrong because I could actually earn that £500 per week on euro subbing work after all.I’ll remember to rush out and get that new computerised wagon so as not to miss out on all that money which I could be earning with it,assuming that it does’nt get stuck on the way to Dover. :open_mouth: :laughing:

But remember that many of the younger drivers have not driven in the snow ( I remember in early 80’s I was riding my bike in it also was driving cars etc in the snow )

A lot of the younger drivers have also been to " molly cottoned " by society as they expect everything ( bit like when they were at home & just had to say I want & got ) they have never really had to work hard for much as has been given to them to easy on a plate ( so to speak ) not like when I was young you had to work for it or you didnt get it but then maybe I am from a different era & yes I have tried to bring up my kids like that then some people are too materialistic with things ( Im not ) but the more they got the more they want

I was told not that long ago that £ 7.00 per hr is a good wage :unamused:

animal:
But remember that many of the younger drivers have not driven in the snow ( I remember in early 80’s I was riding my bike in it also was driving cars etc in the snow )

None of us were born with the ability to drive in the snow but we used to go out and play in it as kids, not sit on the nice warm sofa having cups of tea brought to us by mummy while we played on the xbox/play station. We only learnt how to drive in it by doing it, but a lot of folk don’t/wont even do that, they just phone in and say they cant or park up and ring the boss. How about giving it a go, its not that hard FFS :smiling_imp: !

animal:
A lot of the younger drivers have also been to " molly cottoned " by society as they expect everything ( bit like when they were at home & just had to say I want & got ) they have never really had to work hard for much as has been given to them to easy on a plate ( so to speak ) not like when I was young you had to work for it or you didnt get it but then maybe I am from a different era & yes I have tried to bring up my kids like that then some people are too materialistic with things ( Im not ) but the more they got the more they want

I totally agree with you there. Society is far too soft these days, earn it or you don’t get it simples!

animal:

for some folk that are struggling to find work it isn’t in this day and age. Not an ideal wage but better than nowt! :wink:

So at what point do you not carry on ? Just to be clear, during the recent chaos up here, I have been to work every day. I managed to get to the majority of my drop points only to be told that I aint getting tipped, mainly because the warehouse staff never made it in to work, entrance to premises/ ind estates littered with abandoned cars etc. Oh, and we had a 64 year old driver, who has done every job in trucking that you can name, stir up a pot of ■■■■, refusing to even put his arse on a seat. It’s all too easy to blame the " new breed " for all our troubles. I remember during the war :unamused:

pete i wish i never went out in the snow as i was the only one, now im the RobK of my depot…hated! :laughing:

“Defence Watches” HaHa. You should chill out and read the Uckers Thread mate…

Lee G:
Dear Fellow Trucknetters,

I haven’t been on here for quite a few months really and while I used to enjoy coming on and having a laugh, learning things from the old hands and picking up tips that others have shared amongst us I now feel it has gone downhill. Some days I can’t even be [zb] to look in. I have made some good friends over the years and met some cracking people off here and also fell out with a few but sadly I feel the clientele has somewhat gone a bit “soft” shall we say.

What the hell is up with people now a days? Most of the posts on here now seem to either ■■■■■ about the fact they don’t want to work over 9 hours even if they are getting overtime? (you wanna try working for take home of just over £400 with 5 nights away (cos the firm was struggling) on max hours every week. I did for a few weeks and for some reason it didn’t work out :open_mouth: !) Or taking photos of people that might have just made a miss judgement in their long/hard working day :unamused: . Or they aint happy because they haven’t been given the superdupertrottermega space motor with Alcoa wheels and all the lights :grimacing: ?

Maybe I’m simple (some will say I am anyway :laughing: ) and will do a hard days work for an honest wage, but does this industry not need hard working people rather than people that are afraid to take a lorry out because there is an inch of snow falling in Norway? Or wont change a bulb in a trailer light as they might break a nail doing it? Or won’t do a night out because they haven’t got their tele armchair and play station with them? What the [zb] is going on? No wonder this country is in such a [zb] state when a lot of the people coming into the industry are of the “the world owes me a living” brigade!

A lot of people in Britain at the moment can’t find jobs and they are willing to work any/max hours for a decent wage, yet some folk can’t even be bothered to do a few hours of overtime!

Some folks on here need to get a grip and look for a career change as obviously driving isn’t for them. Maybe working in a beauty parlour or a perfume boutique would suit some a bit more!

Rant over

Are you not forgetting the firms who treat the drivers like [zb]!! Where i work drivers are not allowed now to change bulbs or attempt ANY repair no matter how simple/trivial it seems , this is all due to VOSA & H &S who will take companies to the cleaners on any procedure not carried out to the book & by qualified personell , so sorry, but this ‘macho’ lorry driver thing will be a thing of the past :cry:Oh & on the overtime thing- the reason you have to work 60+ hours is because your’e mugs, who work for peanuts on a basic wage not much more than the minimum wage :blush: & while you all carry on being spineless ‘yes’ men to your employers the job will never change , as i said on a different post “drivers are there own worst enemies” :unamused:

boris:
Oh & on the overtime thing- the reason you have to work 60+ hours is because your’e mugs, who work for peanuts on a basic wage not much more than the minimum wage :blush: & while you all carry on being spineless ‘yes’ men to your employers the job will never change

I can see this is going to be an interesting evening! :wink:

Was talking not so long ago to a driver who was only 23 but had done this that & other had been in catering but didnt like the long unsociable hours so become a driver :unamused: he had 2 young daughters so wanted to be home every night to see them as he said " he wasnt missing them growing up " so wanted to wok mon - fri 9-5 :unamused: :unamused: :bulb:

Lee G:

animal:

None of us were born with the ability to drive in the snow but we used to go out and play in it as kids, not sit on the nice warm sofa having cups of tea brought to us by mummy while we played on the xbox/play station. We only learnt how to drive in it by doing it, but a lot of folk don’t/wont even do that, they just phone in and say they cant or park up and ring the boss. How about giving it a go, its not that hard FFS :smiling_imp: !

This is true we didnt have computer games when we were kids so did go out & play in snow also dug the street out so cars / bikes could get out as they didnt grit the side street

animal:

I totally agree with you there. Society is far too soft these days, earn it or you don’t get it simples!

animal:

for some folk that are struggling to find work it isn’t in this day and age. Not an ideal wage but better than nowt! :wink:

Yep I have done it also got working tax credit but if you read on here what some people say " i wouldnt get out of bed for that " :unamused:

merc0447:
pete i wish i never went out in the snow as i was the only one, now im the RobK of my depot…hated! :laughing:

Par for the course matey :laughing: " nobody likes us we don’t care "

On agency- when working for Wincanton, before you start you have to sign about 5 different forms about H & S , company procedures etc :unamused: . So straight away your’e treated like an idiot , they don’t give a [zb] about you, so why should you help them out? I like the way there ‘own’ drivers are conned into working weekends for no extra money and lose money in the banked hours wage set up :unamused: But yes, as with all drivers- there is always someone that will do it :cry: :cry: :unamused:

Lee G:
What the [zb] is going on? No wonder this country is in such a [zb] state when a lot of the people coming into the industry are of the “the world owes me a living” brigade!

The country is in such a state because how it is been run, let the thieving, lying politicians sort their affairs out then the knock on effect will come into place where other industries will start to run more efficient.

animal:
Was talking not so long ago to a driver who was only 23 but had done this that & other had been in catering but didnt like the long unsociable hours so become a driver :unamused: he had 2 young daughters so wanted to be home every night to see them as he said " he wasnt missing them growing up " so wanted to wok mon - fri 9-5 :unamused: :unamused: :bulb:

I wouldn’t expect anything less from a man in catering :stuck_out_tongue:

Lee G passed his test about 2 years ago, isn’t it a welcome contrast between a recent poster with similar experience :stuck_out_tongue:

I can just imagine what it would be like if truckers held a protest march through central London…

“What do we want?”

“Longer hours and less money!”

“When do we want it?”

“NOW!”