wtf ! how?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25626147

I agree with not taking someone’s licence for 12 points if it means hardship, but 45 points is taking the ■■■■ :open_mouth:

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
latest figures show a man from Liverpool is
driving with 45 penalty points on his licence

What takes the ■■■■ is giving points to people for failing to declare who was driving a vehicle.
If you worked abroad for several months and gave your mate the use of your car. He could go through hundreds of speed cameras in one day, The police and courts would write to you when you’re not in, You would be sentenced in your absence.
Even when you got back home you couldn’t get anything sorted out as you would be out of time and the courts would say you had your chance to sort it out earlier.
This is probably the only “civilised” country that will convict someone for doing nothing at all.

Fair point made there Phil, I suppose it is possible that some of these people never declared the driver of the vehicle because they never received the NIP.

It would be interesting to know more of the facts behind these cases.

Why is it that driving a firm’s lorry through say, a speed camara results in DRIVER getting fined and endorsed, but when your mate borrows your car, it’s YOU who gets fined, etc…?

Seems like the law expects it both ways, and we only get it sideways. :frowning:

If FIRMS employing drivers bore the brunt of all penalties (fines, loss of Operator Licence only) for their driver’s sins, then they might start taking a bit more care in who they take on, and offer more money to attract the right kind of low-liability staff.

^^^and perhaps square away their planners to stop planning work which encourages driving offences

Tipper Tom:
^^^and perhaps square away their planners to stop planning work which encourages driving offences

Off topic but let them plan what they want but you drive within the law, otherwise you will get done - not them.

I know and if I was ever faced with this I would as I have.

Surely though if there’s a new driver new to a firm and he’s given the impossible chances are he will try and achieve it any way

Tipper Tom:
I know and if I was ever faced with this I would as I have.

Surely though if there’s a new driver new to a firm and he’s given the impossible chances are he will try and achieve it any way

I agree, too many new kids eager to please at their own cost.

limeyphil:
What takes the ■■■■ is giving points to people for failing to declare who was driving a vehicle.
If you worked abroad for several months and gave your mate the use of your car. He could go through hundreds of speed cameras in one day, The police and courts would write to you when you’re not in, You would be sentenced in your absence.
Even when you got back home you couldn’t get anything sorted out as you would be out of time and the courts would say you had your chance to sort it out earlier.
This is probably the only “civilized” country that will convict someone for doing nothing at all.

wrong go to magistrates issuing the ban swear on oath you never received the NIP prove it case thrown out plod then have three months to come after you ! did this when a NIP was sent to my old address after i had moved out prosecuted in absence fined £400 first i knew of this was when tried to renew digicard and license was revoked all thrown out when i proved i had informed DVLA etc of move and funnily enough plod have never bothered

but this IS the only country in the world where you can be jailed for watching state telly

^^^i think perhaps your case is the exception rather than the rule.

Also why was your licence revoked for a 400 quid fine? Was it’s for 30+ in excess of the speed limit or because you didn’t pay?

Tipper Tom:

Also why was your licence revoked for a 400 quid fine? Was it’s for 30+ in excess of the speed limit or because you didn’t pay?

If you don’t send your licence in to have the points put on they suspend it until you do.

tachograph:
I agree with not taking someone’s licence for 12 points if it means hardship, but 45 points is taking the ■■■■ :open_mouth:

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
latest figures show a man from Liverpool is
driving with 45 penalty points on his licence

I would of thought expensive insurance would keep the majority off the road with that many points, so this is obviously some one with a very healthy bank balance! And good lawyers!!

People in show business or pro.footballers would plead that loss of licence would impinge on their ability to continue their charity work,job done.

Tipper Tom:

it had bumped up due to non payment as it had been six months since conviction before i found out bailiffs were STILL attending my old address to clear the fine the day i went to court .the advise to do this was given by the nice lady at the DVLA whilst trying to sort my digicard as they could not reissue untill license was valid .
walked into local court next morning informed the clerk why had to wait for a gap in cases then went before magistrates went through the facts and sorted took less than a morning and cost nowt and to date 18 months on plod have not made any contact re this .when on agency last year driver at one company had similar problem he did same with same result think its just kept quiet to stop it being abused

When my licence was up for renewal, and it was in the hands of the DVLA, and i had the letter to continue driving, i got done for failing to produce, when the time was about to expire, i phoned up the police, and explained why i couldnt produce, then they extended the period, then asked me to produce again, when i couldnt, they issued a FPN, and i had to pay, no matter how much i shouted, they wouldnt listen, no matter how much i explained that it was beyond my control, that if DVLA didnt return it, How the F could i produce it, i even got my MP onto it, and he advised to take it to court, which would have cost me money, so paid up, british justice is run by no brains, who have none or very little sympathy for the working classes.

Winseer:
Why is it that driving a firm’s lorry through say, a speed camara results in DRIVER getting fined and endorsed, but when your mate borrows your car, it’s YOU who gets fined, etc…?

That’s not the case. If a vehicle (any vehicle) is pinged by a speed camera, the registered keeper is sent a NIP and S172 request asking them to confirm the drivers details… so obviously, the firm will give the drivers details. If no details are given, the RK will be charged with ‘failing to furnish’, and given 6 points and fined. If a firm doesn’t give the drivers details either, then the firm will be fined too (substantially, in lieu of the 6 points they can’t dish out).

If you choose not to give your mates details when he’s driving your car, then that’s your choice… but it’s you that gets the 6 points & fine for failing to furnish the details required by the S172.

Winseer:

Seems like the law expects it both ways, and we only get it sideways. :frowning:

If FIRMS employing drivers bore the brunt of all penalties (fines, loss of Operator Licence only) for their driver’s sins, then they might start taking a bit more care in who they take on, and offer more money to attract the right kind of low-liability staff.

a lot of the time the driver is not a named driver on the insurance policy. If i lend my car to anyone i always add them as named driver even if there insurance does cover them that way you have proof they have permission to drive the car

i got done last year for doing 55mph on a 50mph duel carriageway in bournemouth,i decided to take the safety awareness course to avoid the points,they came back to me with the attitude that i should be grateful to them for letting me go on the course,this is after having a clean licence for over 20 years,i could not deny the speeding charge so put my hands up to it and accepted the consequences,but that day cost me £30 in petrol, one days loss of earnings, and a £110 pounds for the course,yet they let this liverpool guy still drive with 45 points as well as others,disgusting

alamcculloch:
People in show business or pro.footballers would plead that loss of licence would impinge on their ability to continue their charity work,job done.

That’s right. I wonder if courts will ever wake up to the fact that these folk could easily employ a set of drivers to standby 24/7 and chauffer them wherever they want. Of course it would cost them. And justice would be done.