WTD ?

Right this is a stupid question but i just cant get my head around it.

Is WTD the same as Driving hours ?

Does it apply to us ?

What is the difference ?

Ok simple as poss :

If you work a full day the WTD requires you to have a brk before you have reached 6 hrs work
Driving time is only 4 hrs 30mins so you start 8am if you have driven for 4 1/2 hrs that will take you to 1230 you have to have 45 mins so you have had a brk before you have worked 6 hrs ,

But on multidrop you can end up not driving 4 1/2 hrs all day taking into account unloading etc so if you get 2 pm you could have not done 4 1/2 hrs driving but under WTD you would still need a break before 2 pm
So you could then take 15 mins before 2 pm then take your 30 mins later when hit 4 1/2 hrs driving and remain legal

Hope that helps

Jx

It’s far from a stupid question actually! Have a chew on Jennies’ advice and ask anything that comes to mind.

Jennie:
But on multidrop you can end up not driving 4 1/2 hrs all day taking into account unloading etc so if you get 2 pm you could have not done 4 1/2 hrs driving but under WTD you would still need a break before 2 pm
So you could then take 15 mins before 2 pm then take your 30 mins later when hit 4 1/2 hrs driving and remain legal

Hope that helps

Jx

Thanks Jen , that helps quite a lot but what if you do a 12 hour shift and never reach the 4 1/2 hour driving time. Start at 6am, 15mins before 2, if you are going to finish at 6pm. as they say in a “Question of Sport”, what happens next?

Vernon1987:
Is WTD the same as Driving hours ?

No they come from different regulations but we are supposed to comply with both sets of regulations.

Basically commercial drivers work to 2 separate sets of regulations, the “drivers hours and tachograph regulations” and the “working time regulations for mobile workers” (WTD).

The drivers hours and tachograph regulations are laid down in a document named (EC) 561/2006, these regulations take precedence over the WTD and not complying with them can result in fines or loss of LGV entitlement.

The working time regulations for mobile workers are laid down in a document named “The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005” which is often shortened to RT(WT)R 2005, this is basically a social regulations that no-one actually enforces very much but we are required to comply with them.

Some of the (EC) 561/2006 regulations state that:

• You must have a break of 45 minutes after driving for 4.5 hours. (this break can be split into 2 parts, first part at-least 15 minutes and the second part at-least 30 minutes and in that order)

• You must not drive for more than 9 hours in any working day. (this can be extended to 10 hours driving time twice a week)

• You must not drive for more than 56 hours in a week.

• You must not drive for more than 90 hours in any two consecutive weeks.

• You must have completed a daily rest period of 11 hours within 24 hours from the start of shift. (the daily rest period can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods)

• You must have a weekly rest period of at-least 45 hours no later than six 24 hour periods (144 hours) from the end of the last weekly rest period. (The weekly rest period can be reduced to 24 hours every second week, but compensation for the reduction has to be paid back)

There’s more the the (EC) 561/2006 regulations than this but this should keep you busy for a while :wink:

Some of the RT(WT)R 2005 regulations state that:

• No worker should work more than 6 hours without a break of at-least 15 minutes.

• If you work more than 6 hours but less than 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 30 minute break/breaks.

• If you work more than 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 45 minute break/breaks.

• These breaks can be split into separate breaks of no less than 15 minutes.

There’s a lot more than this to the RT(WT)R 2005 but again this should get you started.

Breaks for the drivers hours also count for the WTD and vise versa.

There’s more information in the “Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachograph” guide :wink:

richvanho:
what if you do a 12 hour shift and never reach the 4 1/2 hour driving time. Start at 6am, 15mins before 2, if you are going to finish at 6pm. as they say in a “Question of Sport”, what happens next?

If you don’t drive for 4.5 hours during the working day you wouldn’t need to have a driving breaks (breaks for the “drivers hours and tachograph regulations” are often referred to as a driving break ).

However if you work 12 hours you would need to have breaks totalling 45 minutes for the RT(WT)R 2005, this break can be taken in separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.

By the way if you start at 06:00 you would need to have a 15 minute break at or before 12:00 not 14:00 :wink:

Thanks guys for your reply much appreciated :slight_smile: slowly getting my head around it !!!

Jennie:
Ok simple as poss :

If you work a full day the WTD requires you to have a brk before you have reached 6 hrs work
Driving time is only 4 hrs 30mins so you start 8am if you have driven for 4 1/2 hrs that will take you to 1230 you have to have 45 mins so you have had a brk before you have worked 6 hrs ,

Hope that helps

Jx
[/quote

Quick one jen. would i have to record this on my tachograph ? the WTD ?

It’s done for you!

44 Tonne Ton:
It’s done for you!

Is your WTD done automaticaly mate ?

As said tacho records everything for you so u just keep an eye on the time if driving not exceeding 4 1/2 hrs :wink:

jx

Jennie:
As said tacho records everything for you so u just keep an eye on the time if driving not exceeding 4 1/2 hrs :wink:

jx

Ahh i see so the tacho will automaticaly record when you stop driving etc ?

Another question is WTD the same as GB domestic drivers hours ?

Vernon1987:

not sure there but someone else will be along shortly to answer that one ,

the GB domestic are for veh exempt from eu rules ,

jx

Thanks jenni always rely on you guys !

Vernon1987:

Jennie:

jx

Just to clarify when you stop driving tachograph goes to other work automatically so to record a break you need to actually change to break mode :wink:

Jx

I’d be careful as some of ours seem to go to rest automatically which is OK but if you get caught unloading with it on rest its not so clever. Bit odd really as some seem to go to other work and some to rest and they are all Siemens?

Yes have had that happen to me seems its the default the people who check the tachograph put it on as to what mode it reverts to :unamused:

Jx

Vernon1987:

No, the WTD has nothing to do with domestic regulations or EU regulations for that matter.

There are 2 lots of drivers regulations, the EU regulations and the domestic regulations, there are also 2 types of working time regulations that affect commercial drivers, the working time regulations for mobile workers and the general working time regulations that people like warehouse staff and most other workers work to.

The (EC) 561/2006 regulations (EU regulations) are what LGV drivers work to unless the vehicle is exempt in which case you would be working to Domestic regulations.

When you’re driving to EU regulations you should also be working to the “Working Time Regulations for Mobile Workers” otherwise known as RT(WT)R 2005.

When you’re driving to Domestic regulations you should also be working to the general working time regulations otherwise known as “The Working Time Regulations 1998”.

Having said that no-one actively enforces the working time regulations but many companies will expect their drivers to comply with them.

peak_46:
I’d be careful as some of ours seem to go to rest automatically which is OK but if you get caught unloading with it on rest its not so clever. Bit odd really as some seem to go to other work and some to rest and they are all Siemens?

When the digital tachograph became law for new vehicles in 2006 all digital tachographs defaulted to “other work” when the ignition was turned off.

However, as some drivers (French drivers I believe :unamused: ) couldn’t remember to change the mode to rest when they finished the shift it was later allowed for the tachograph to default to rest or other work when the ignitions is switched off.

The result of this is that there are now some vehicles that default to rest and some that default to other work … they call that progress !! :unamused: :wink:

What the digital tachograph defaults to when the ignition is switched of can be set at a tachograph centre, I read somewhere that it costs about £80 to have it changed but I couldn’t say whether or not that’s correct.

tachograph:

Vernon1987:

No, the WTD has nothing to do with domestic regulations or EU regulations for that matter.

There are 2 lots of drivers regulations, the EU regulations and the domestic regulations, there are also 2 types of working time regulations that affect commercial drivers, the working time regulations for mobile workers and the general working time regulations that people like warehouse staff and most other workers work to.

The (EC) 561/2006 regulations (EU regulations) are what LGV drivers work to unless the vehicle is exempt in which case you would be working to Domestic regulations.

When you’re driving to EU regulations you should also be working to the “Working Time Regulations for Mobile Workers” otherwise known as RT(WT)R 2005.

When you’re driving to Domestic regulations you should also be working to the general working time regulations otherwise known as “The Working Time Regulations 1998”.

Having said that no-one actively enforces the working time regulations but many companies will expect their drivers to comply with them.

So when does WTD come into it if its not mentioned above ?
its all confusing for a newb mate sorry

tachograph:
What the digital tachograph defaults to when the ignition is switched of can be set at a tachograph centre, I read somewhere that it costs about £80 to have it changed but I couldn’t say whether or not that’s correct.

I believe the cost reflects the time it takes, and the paperwork. I am sure I read it here that any work done on a digital unit than it must be recalibrated and recertified.

Your digital tachographs must also be recalibrated at one of these approved tachograph centres. Recalibration must be done:

at least once within a 24-month period
after any repair to the equipment
if the vehicle registration number changes
if the Universal Time Co-ordinated (UTC) time is wrong by more than 20 minutes
after an alteration to the circumference of the tyres or characteristic coefficient of the vehicle

The calibration centre will then record the inspection and re-calibration dates on the plaque located on the tachograph.