wtd

I was on my drivers cpc course last week and asked the bloke who was taking it what i thought was a logical question .Anyone on here any thoughts,if you have to drive 9 hours a day 5 days a week ,ie run your hours out that only leaves you 3 hours a week to load and unload which divides into 36 minutes a day.This is obviously no where near enough time so how would you compensate for the extra hours youve worked .Maybe im missing something obvious but i cant see it .If you work every other saturday it gets worse.I have heard a tale recently about a driver who had been doing 60 hours a week that was made to take 2 weeks off without pay,surely this cant be right.

ramone:
so how would you compensate for the extra hours you`ve worked

By altering the shift pattern so you do less driving in some weeks to get the average working time down over the reference period.

Essentially what it boils down to is that if your employer is serious about sticking to the WTD rules then they need to plan the workload to suit and planning 45h of driving every week isn’t going to work unless you’re a trunker who does stuff all other than driving.

Paul

ramone:
I was on my drivers cpc course last week and asked the bloke who was taking it what i thought was a logical question .Anyone on here any thoughts,if you have to drive 9 hours a day 5 days a week ,ie run your hours out that only leaves you 3 hours a week to load and unload which divides into 36 minutes a day.This is obviously no where near enough time so how would you compensate for the extra hours youve worked .Maybe im missing something obvious but i cant see it .If you work every other saturday it gets worse.I have heard a tale recently about a driver who had been doing 60 hours a week that was made to take 2 weeks off without pay,surely this cant be right.

How many drivers do you know who drive for 9 hours every day and do their own loading/unloading ?

If you drive 9 hours every day and do 6 days every other week you’re soon going to find yourself in trouble anyway because that would put you over the 90 hour fortnightly driving limit.

It just doesn’t work like that in the real world … well not in mine anyway :smiley:

Some companies will make you take time off if you need to get the average hours down to 48 hours, I’m on agency and personally I just ignore any part of the working time regulations that I can ignore without any repercussions, and that includes the 48 hour average week :wink:

I do comply with the 6 hour rule but only because it’s easily checked by VOSA and I’ll get infringements for it anyway if I don’t comply :unamused:

repton:

ramone:
so how would you compensate for the extra hours you`ve worked

By altering the shift pattern so you do less driving in some weeks to get the average working time down over the reference period.

Essentially what it boils down to is that if your employer is serious about sticking to the WTD rules then they need to plan the workload to suit and planning 45h of driving every week isn’t going to work unless you’re a trunker who does stuff all other than driving.

Paul

My question was hypothetical (is that how you spell it?) we have laws on how many hours a week we can drive but then they move the goalposts so you cant actually drive 9 hours a day and there are firms i know of who will make you set off down the road if you`ve more than a hours driving time left.In these days where squeezing profit out of a vehicle is getting harder operators are quite rightly going to want to work their vehicles to the limit