WTD

Hi, new to this forum, had a HGV licence since 1976 but have only done any serious driving in the last year, worked for 30 years in a garage prior redundancy in early 2009, now working out of the vehicle trade, due to low pay I decided to do some agency driving, at weekends, my question is, which I am sure the answer is yes, should my hours of work, should my weekday hours be taken in when driving at the weekend, if I work Mon to Fri 08.00-16.00hrs, what hours driving can I do at the weekend?
I have also read in the FTA handbook, last years copy was given to me, that other hours should be recorded, but what process would I use to record non related transport duties in a warehouse? and this should be kept with me whilst driving?
I have not done any agency driving since the beginning of the year, one reason is that I was concerned I could be breaking the law.
Thanks in advance.

The work you do during the week will count as other work for the EU Driver’s Hours Regulations but won’t count toward the WTD. In any week you drive under EU rules you should record that other work, easiest way is by using a tacho disc but you can also write on a printout from a digital tacho or make manual entries on the digi tacho… All it will require to show is your name, the date, your start and finish times.

In any week you drive under EU rules you must observe the weekly rest requirements so that limits, for people working Monday - Friday in a different job, to one day every two weekends.

You finish on Friday at 16:00 and would need at least 9 hours before starting a shift so 01:00 Saturday is the earliest. You might be able to squeeze in two shifts from say 01:00 Saturday until 12:00 and from 21:00 Saturday until 08:00 Sunday, which would leave you a 24 hour weekly rest before resuming your day job at 08:00 Monday. You wouldn’t be able to work the following weekend though. If you finish work Friday and don’t work on the Saturday you could work on the Sunday but no later than 23:00 to get 9 hours in before resuming work Monday.

The simplest way is just to work one day every other weekend and that will keep you legal.

Coffeeholic:
The work you do during the week will count as other work for the EU Driver’s Hours Regulations but won’t count toward the WTD. In any week you drive under EU rules you should record that other work, easiest way is by using a tacho disc but you can also write on a printout from a digital tacho or make manual entries on the digi tacho… All it will require to show is your name, the date, your start and finish times.

In any week you drive under EU rules you must observe the weekly rest requirements so that limits, for people working Monday - Friday in a different job, to one day every two weekends.

You finish on Friday at 16:00 and would need at least 9 hours before starting a shift so 01:00 Saturday is the earliest. You might be able to squeeze in two shifts from say 01:00 Saturday until 12:00 and from 21:00 Saturday until 08:00 Sunday, which would leave you a 24 hour weekly rest before resuming your day job at 08:00 Monday. You wouldn’t be able to work the following weekend though. If you finish work Friday and don’t work on the Saturday you could work on the Sunday but no later than 23:00 to get 9 hours in before resuming work Monday.

The simplest way is just to work one day every other weekend and that will keep you legal.

Many thanks for your reply, I now fully understand, will do this if I go back weekend agency driving.