WTD

Hey guys, a quick query.
If I’m working away as normal and draw my card from vehicle (run finished) and then go take a break of, say 15…30 whatever, how long to I need to work after that before I can clock out?
Is it 15 mins which seems to be a figure banded about for a lot of things, some of which have no standing or as I have interrupted my working day and returned to work dies it matter?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

EddieMD:
Hey guys, a quick query.
If I’m working away as normal and draw my card from vehicle (run finished) and then go take a break of, say 15…30 whatever, how long to I need to work after that before I can clock out?
Is it 15 mins which seems to be a figure banded about for a lot of things, some of which have no standing or as I have interrupted my working day and returned to work dies it matter?

Why would you take the card out then have a break ? :confused:

Anyway, without knowing how long your shift is and how much break you’ve already had it’s not possible to answer the question.

If it helps, only breaks of 15 minutes duration count for the working time regulations and in order for it to count it must not be at the immediate start or end of the shift, so technically you would need to do at-least 1 minute of other work before booking off.

Would take card out as parking up in yard and there was another run to go out then would be a different vehicle. I know i can only take minimum 15 and not take it on the way out the door. Hypothetically if i parked, took 15 and then found there was nothing else to take out and i was finished then would i have to sit around for another …however long to make up another 15 mm ins of work? WTD says as long as work is interrupted so i would agree with you that even 1 minute work AFTER the 15 minute break would suffice.

OK I see where you’re coming from now, if you need to book another break to make the shifts total up just make sure you book at-least 1 minute other work after the break.

Doing a minute work after the break means the break is interrupting the working time, it’s not really in the spirit of the regulation but perfectly legal nonetheless :smiley:

Yeah, everything seems to be 15 mins but very few are legislative.

EddieMD:
Yeah, everything seems to be 15 mins but very few are legislative.

Sorry I don’t know what you mean, the shortest break that will count as a break for the WTD is 15 minutes, this is written into the RT(WT)R 2005.

Yeah. That’s right. Its not the break that I’m confused about, its the amount of time after that. Got caught a couple of weeks back by boss after infringement where i had a half hour break while waiting on a load as soon as i went in before i even got my card in. Too another half hour later assuming i had an hours break only to find out the first didn’t count as i hadn’t turned a wheel and so wasn’t relevant to my driving time. Didn’t know that one!! My gaffer told me i had to do 15 mins driving before i could take a break that counted. NOT TRUE!! but there’s that magical number 15 again!

EddieMD:
Yeah. That’s right. Its not the break that I’m confused about, its the amount of time after that. Got caught a couple of weeks back by boss after infringement where i had a half hour break while waiting on a load as soon as i went in before i even got my card in. Too another half hour later assuming i had an hours break only to find out the first didn’t count as i hadn’t turned a wheel and so wasn’t relevant to my driving time. Didn’t know that one!! My gaffer told me i had to do 15 mins driving before i could take a break that counted. NOT TRUE!! but there’s that magical number 15 again!

You cannot have a driving break until you’ve done some driving, you must have at-least 1 minute driving showing on the tachograph before having a driving break.

WTD breaks are not the same as driving breaks, you can have a break for the WTD at any time other than the immediate start or finish of the shift.

I know that now…lol!

You’ve taken your card out. Gone to the tea room for say half hour then bod comes in and says go home.

When you put your card in next shift you must do manual entries for the finish of the last shift so card out 15:30. Sat in tea room 30 min. Bod says go home, so if you at that point just go you really only need to show 1 min unless you do a debrief of paperwork etc of say 10 min that then the end of your shift.

I would do manual entries anyway. Just trying to clarify the amount of working time between the break and finish. I seem to be the same answer as i thought and trying to see if there us anyone with a different answer as I’m still hearing 15 mins in some places…

EddieMD:
I would do manual entries anyway. Just trying to clarify the amount of working time between the break and finish. I seem to be the same answer as i thought and trying to see if there us anyone with a different answer as I’m still hearing 15 mins in some places…

No mate there’s no rules on how much … Just like some people say oh you have to do X amount of driving before having a break, it’s all down to my mate said.
It’s a sure way of knowing its BS :grimacing:

Thank you guys…I thought this was the case!