Wtd with 2 jobs (driving and non driving)

Afternoon everyone,

I am planning to do a bit of agency work once a weekend and the odd full week here and there as a C/CE driver once I’m qualified. I am currently in the RAF in an admin role working Monday to Friday with varying start and finish times. I do not drive within this role normally and any driving would only be land rover stuff and exempted from domestic driving hours.

I just wondered how working in a non driving job mid week would effect my available legal working time over the weekend. Also how would I record my mid week activities on a tacho? Is it break or do I have to record all work start and finish times including breaks.

Thanks a lot guys

WTD
The non driving and the driving WTDs are separate and do not get added together

EU REGS
In general you can drive for one day every other weekend off so that the weekly rests can be adhered to

RECORDS
In any week where you drive under EU regs the other work must be officially recorded

ROG:
WTD
The non driving and the driving WTDs are separate and do not get added together

EU REGS
In general you can drive for one day every other weekend off so that the weekly rests can be adhered to

RECORDS
In any week where you drive under EU regs the other work must be officially recorded

Thanks. That sounds like a pain in the arse manual entry.

In weeks that you drive to EU regulations none driving days should be recorded but not in the tachograph, putting several days work into a digital tachograph is not necessary and would be time consuming.

If you work on HGVs one day then do another day a fortnight later the time in-between should be recorded on the tachograph with the ? symbol.

Legally records for none driving days should be kept on charts or printouts, the DVSA may accept records for none driving days in a notebook/diary but I can’t confirm that to be the case.

Do you have a current DQC - driver cpc card :question:

ROG:
Do you have a current DQC - driver cpc card :question:

No not yet i’m doing my mod 3 and 4 practical’s soon so its all new to me. I just want to get a bit of experience while i’m still in a solid job before I make the jump early next year.

tachograph:
In weeks that you drive to EU regulations none driving days should be recorded but not in the tachograph, putting several days work into a digital tachograph is not necessary and would be time consuming.

If you work on HGVs one day then do another day a fortnight later the time in-between should be recorded on the tachograph with the ? symbol.

Legally records for none driving days should be kept on charts or printouts, the DVSA may accept records for none driving days in a notebook/diary but I can’t confirm that to be the case.

Thanks for that I was expecting that to be the answer.

Id imagine you have to record the previous daily rest period before starting work wouldn’t you? So ? followed by a daily rest period then start work? Does weekly rest period also need to be recorded on tacho. I just learnt there is supposed to be an official form for this somewhere that you have to give to your employer. Hopefully they have a copy.

Jwalsh8:
Id imagine you have to record the previous daily rest period before starting work wouldn’t you? So ? followed by a daily rest period then start work? Does weekly rest period also need to be recorded on tacho. I just learnt there is supposed to be an official form for this somewhere that you have to give to your employer. Hopefully they have a copy.

You don’t have to record daily rest periods as such, you record the working time and that will show if you had the required daily/weekly rest periods.

The purpose of making records of work done on none driving days is to show that you’ve complied with the daily rest periods on driving days and the weekly rest period.

There’s no official form to show daily/weekly rest periods, some companies do ask drivers to complete a form showing their daily/weekly rest periods but that’s a company thing not legally required.

So to my understanding, you do not record your rest periods may it be one day or two as the card automatically recognises this the only thing you record is your other work by manual entries and that is it?

ash 001:
So to my understanding, you do not record your rest periods may it be one day or two as the card automatically recognises this the only thing you record is your other work by manual entries and that is it?

Generally any time over 9 hours not officially recorded will be regarded as rest

ash 001:

When I said “you don’t have to record daily rest periods as such” it may have been a bit misleading, legally you don’t have to record rest periods but this is not always quite that straight forward because of the way digital tachographs work.

With analogue tachograph charts you record the daily activities then take the chart out, the time between charts would be regarded as rest, so you are only recording working time and anything that’s not recorded is rest.

The early digital tachographs (type 1) work pretty much the same, you record the daily activities then take the card out, the next shift you do the same and the time between shifts that there is no record for is regarded as rest.

The newer digital tachographs work slightly differently in that they do record an activity for the time between shifts, obviously the activity between shifts should be rest unless you’ve done another job since taking the card out.

This video shows the old type digital tachograph, it shows manual entries but you can see that the time between shifts is not recorded.

This video shows the same thing on a new type digital tachograph where the tachograph makes you record something for the period between shifts.

Thank you tacho again I thought as much just wanted to double check :slight_smile: