WTD infringement

i have just received an infringement which has baffled me. i worked for 6 hours straight without taking a break! sounds pretty standard apart from the fact the clock started from my 45 minute driving break, not the beginning of my shift :exclamation:
i was under the impression you only needed a break within the first 6 hours, not EVERY 6 hours :confused:

it also mentioned i took a 20 hour 34 minute break after the end of my shift which makes me wonder if there is a ■■■■ up on this one since i never leave my card in the truck. this client requires a download after each shift which makes it impossible to forget your card

scanny77:
i have just received an infringement which has baffled me. i worked for 6 hours straight without taking a break! sounds pretty standard apart from the fact the clock started from my 45 minute driving break, not the beginning of my shift :exclamation:
i was under the impression you only needed a break within the first 6 hours, not EVERY 6 hours :confused:

The RT(WT)R say that you should not exceed 6 hours working time without a break, breaks for the drivers regulations count for the RT(WT)R and vice versa.

There’s nothing in the rules that states that the 6 hour rule break only applies to the first 6 hours of the shift, it applies to every 6 hours of working time.

You should not have exceeded 6 hours working time from the end of the 45 minute break without taking a further break of at least 15 minutes.

scanny77:
it also mentioned i took a 20 hour 34 minute break after the end of my shift which makes me wonder if there is a ■■■■ up on this one since i never leave my card in the truck. this client requires a download after each shift which makes it impossible to forget your card

I can only suggest that you view the times for the days in question on the tachograph display or do a printout if you find that easier.

tachograph:
There’s nothing in the rules that states that the 6 hour rule break only applies to the first 6 hours of the shift, it applies to every 6 hours of working time.

You should not have exceeded 6 hours working time from the end of the 45 minute break without taking a further break of at least 15 minutes.

thats new to me. thanks for the clarification
also for confirmation about the 15 minute requirement. a lot of people still think its 30 minutes

I have posted this link before, its a free PDF download from V.O.S.A and explains everything a driver will need to know. Click on “drivers hours for goods vehicles in the U.K and Europe” annex 2 explains the W.T.D regs for mobile workers.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications … guides.htm

mike68:
I have posted this link before, its a free PDF download from V.O.S.A and explains everything a driver will need to know. Click on “drivers hours for goods vehicles in the U.K and Europe” annex 2 explains the W.T.D regs for mobile workers.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications … guides.htm

Or click on this link to the “Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs” for a direct download :wink:

Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.

If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by
a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.

If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break
or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.

Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

scanny77:
so for confirmation about the 15 minute requirement. a lot of people still think its 30 minutes

A lot of people have never read the WTD regulations and are lead to believe this by trainers and transport managers who shouldn’t be training or managing anything. It’s been almost 6 years since these regulations came in and they are still spouting this same old nonsense.

how many of the drivers are doing it deliberately though? half hour break at 6 hours then they need another half hour break at 4 1/2 hours driving. im pretty sure a handful of the guys i have come across recently are pulling a fast one to get an extra 15 minutes with their feet up

scanny77:
how many of the drivers are doing it deliberately though? half hour break at 6 hours then they need another half hour break at 4 1/2 hours driving. im pretty sure a handful of the guys i have come across recently are pulling a fast one to get an extra 15 minutes with their feet up

Well with so many companies insisting it is correct, or trainers when they have been proved wrong claiming it is company policy, why not?

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:
so for confirmation about the 15 minute requirement. a lot of people still think its 30 minutes

A lot of people have never read the WTD regulations and are lead to believe this by trainers and transport managers who shouldn’t be training or managing anything. It’s been almost 6 years since these regulations came in and they are still spouting this same old nonsense.

Indeed, had a run-in with one of my managers who tried to tell me i was wrong and i had to take 30mins. I asked him to show me and after a week he just said ‘well it’s company policy then’ As this was the first i’d heard of it, i asked when it came in as policy to be told ‘since now’ :unamused: