WTD in layman's terms please?

Just wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain the wtd for me in simple terms. I understand that poa and rest don’t think count towards it. But if you have to average a 48hr week and can work up to a 60hr week how do all you fellas working more than 12hrs a day do it? Not sure I fully understand. Sorry to sound like an idiot! :sunglasses:

Basically, although a driver may be booking and getting paid for 60 hours, with clever use of break and POA mode he may be doing say 45 hours “work time” that week. The 48 hour rule is averaged out over a reference period of 17 or whatever weeks, so days where you may only do 5 hours actual work will drag the average down.

I work on fridges and regularly max my hours out, however when I work out my weekly average I rarely go above 48 hours in any week.

That was the long version, the short version is; it’s a big, government backed fiddle.

William Wilberforce tried to outlaw it. The End!

Michael Douglas:
But if you have to average a 48hr week and can work up to a 60hr week how do all you fellas working more than 12hrs a day do it? Not sure I fully understand. Sorry to sound like an idiot! :sunglasses:

PoA.

So you’re doing fridge work. You do your daily duties and drive to the drop which takes 4hrs. You then take 15 minutes to hand in your paperwork and then spend an hour waiting to get on a bay, the hour which you do on PoA. You spend an hour on the bay which 45 minutes you do as PoA, you get your paperwork, drive 30 minutes to the nearest caf and take your 45. You then drive back to your depot, do your end of duty shifts which take another 3.5hrs.

So in total you’ve done an 11hr day

However you had 1h 45m on PoA and taken a 45 minute break. As PoA and Breaks aren’t included in what is classed as work for the WTD (only other work and driving is), 2.5hrs of your shift doesn’t count so as far as the WTD is concerned, even though you had an 11hr day, only 8hrs 30 minutes is counted as work towards the 48hr average.

So do that every day for 5 days and even though you’ve done 55hrs only 42.5hrs count towards the WTD.

Conor:

Michael Douglas:
But if you have to average a 48hr week and can work up to a 60hr week how do all you fellas working more than 12hrs a day do it? Not sure I fully understand. Sorry to sound like an idiot! :sunglasses:

PoA.

So you’re doing fridge work. You do your daily duties and drive to the drop which takes 4hrs. You then take 15 minutes to hand in your paperwork and then spend an hour waiting to get on a bay, the hour which you do on PoA. You spend an hour on the bay which 45 minutes you do as PoA, you get your paperwork, drive 30 minutes to the nearest caf and take your 45. You then drive back to your depot, do your end of duty shifts which take another 3.5hrs.

So in total you’ve done an 11hr day

However you had 1h 45m on PoA and taken a 45 minute break. As PoA and Breaks aren’t included in what is classed as work for the WTD (only other work and driving is), 2.5hrs of your shift doesn’t count so as far as the WTD is concerned, even though you had an 11hr day, only 8hrs 30 minutes is counted as work towards the 48hr average.

So do that every day for 5 days and even though you’ve done 55hrs only 42.5hrs count towards the WTD.

the maoster:
Basically, although a driver may be booking and getting paid for 60 hours, with clever use of break and POA mode he may be doing say 45 hours “work time” that week. The 48 hour rule is averaged out over a reference period of 17 or whatever weeks, so days where you may only do 5 hours actual work will drag the average down.

I work on fridges and regularly max my hours out, however when I work out my weekly average I rarely go above 48 hours in any week.

That was the long version, the short version is; it’s a big, government backed fiddle.

That’s brill! Just what I was after…thanks fellas!

WTD = let the company worry about it
WTD = authorities have so far shown no interest in it for the last 10 years

Driver just needs to give company their records = aint that simple

Simple.

In a 26 week period you can only work a max 1248 hours.
This must include
Holidays and sick days…

So it’s easier to add your Working hours up than averaging them down.

nick2008:
Simple.

This must include
Holidays and sick days…

Not up to the driver to do that

ROG:

nick2008:
Simple.

This must include
Holidays and sick days…

Did you read the op question Rog :unamused:

nick2008:

ROG:

nick2008:
Simple.

This must include
Holidays and sick days…

Did you read the op question Rog :unamused:

YUP - op does not NEED to know

Keep a diary, do a printout after every shift write down your duty time and write down all your breaks and poa if it’s 3 hours 36 round up to 3 hour 45 to make it easier, at the end of the week add all your duty time up and add all your breaks and poa up and take that away from the first. Simples…

Example

Duty 60
Poa+break 20

Actual wtd 40

Just the way I do it HTH (oh and by rounding up you can never go over)

Fiddle; Bowed string musical instrument. Also known as Working Time Directive.

Young_AL:
Keep a diary, do a printout after every shift write down your duty time and write down all your breaks and poa if it’s 3 hours 36 round up to 3 hour 45 to make it easier, at the end of the week add all your duty time up and add all your breaks and poa up and take that away from the first. Simples…

Example

Duty 60
Poa+break 20

Actual wtd 40

Sorry :blush: my beer addled brain!! If it’s 3 hour 36 poa and break round it DOWN not up that way you won’t go over sorry!!!

Young_AL:

Example

Duty 60
Poa+break 20

Actual wtd 40

Would it not be easier just to add your working time up?

Do a print out. Look towards bottom of it. Example. 7h52 driving, 35 minutes other work. Therefore roughly 8h30 other work.

Write this in a diary. At end of week add the other work up. Write this in a diary. Every few weeks add the weekly other work figure up and divide by however many weeks you are calculating. This gives you a weekly average.

If the average figure is high you can start tossing the job off for a couple of days to bring your average down.

If you have a smart phone, download a time calculator app. Makes adding up hours and minutes even easier.

Hardly rocket science. HTH.

Happysack. No need to divide anything.
Just add all WORKING hours (drive + other work) include any holiday and sick days, when you hit 1248 hrs (using the 26 week period) you stop.

1248~26=48

What the absolute ■■■■.

happysack:
What the absolute [zb].

?

I’m sure you divided something despite you saying no need to divide anything. 1248 works for 26 weeks but not every company works to a 26 week reference period.

happysack:
I’m sure you divided something despite you saying no need to divide anything. 1248 works for 26 weeks but not every company works to a 26 week reference period.

C’mon now happy…Dunna go confusing my minuscule brain even more…you’re dangerously close to making it swell. I don’t have much room in this tiny cranium :frowning:

Ok. Simple. If you work 5 days a week, keep working time to 10 hours a day Monday to Thursday. Friday, get to 8 hours working time and just stop. Wave your hands about, shouting to all passersby that your wtd is up. Walk home. Start again on Monday. Repeat ad nauseum.

Oh yes don’t forget 1248.