WTD help

Hello all. I know this has been done to death in a thousand other threads, but I can’t seem to get the search function to work. Another newbie(ish)

My problem is as follows- I was under the impression that I only had to take 15 mins break before I had accumulated 6 hours of working time and then another 30 mins between 6 and 9 hours of work.
I usually take a 15 after 2-3 hours (which I thought satisfied the WTD) then a 30 when I’m out of driving time (which can be after 6 hours of work)
I Start at 0600
I have spoken with some other drivers and they have told me that I need to take 30 mins within the first 6 hours of work.
As far as I am aware I haven’t broken any driving time regs (come close once or twice) but have always managed to park up in time for a break.
I have been unable to download my card as yet at work as there is a problem with the hardware.
Have I got it wrong and can expect my card to light up the computer like a Christmas tree and should I be worried?
I’ve seen comments on here about the DVSA not bothering with WTD only driving hours.
Thanks

You are right they’re wrong you only need a 15 for the 6 hr rule.

Thank you Bald Bloke. I do multidrop so can on occasion run past 6 hours of work before running past 4.5 driving time

Its all in the wording.
And a LOT of drivers have been told wrongly.

So…
If you work NO MORE than 6 hrs… No break required ( except the obvious driving time requirements),.

More than 6 hrs your correct a break is required… A min of 15 mins but a total of 30 to be taken before the end of work. (NOTICE THE END OF WORK “” this is where poa plays.)

So you need a total of 30min if you WORK upto 9 hrs.

Over 9 you need 45.

So yes you are correct.
The regulation states…
You may NOT WORK (NOT SHIFT OR DUTY time but work) for MORE than 6 hrs without a break.

So in theory you could do a 15hr shift / duty with no break because of using poa.

Thank you Nick. I had always been under the impression that it was a 15 before 6 hours then an additional 30 before 9 hours. Obviously it would be highly unlikely not to have accumulated 4.5 hours of driving within 9 hours of work and breaks taken accordingly. Thanks for clarifying this for me. The people that told me otherwise are time served drivers. Make of that what you will!
Thanks again

If you started at 06.00 and done a 15 hr day but less than 4.5 hrs of driving you could have a 15 at midday then you’d not need another 15 till 18.15 which sounds ridiculous I know.

Thanks again. I’ve done a few 15s but have always had 2x 45 breaks during the shift. I appreciate the replies fellas. One less thing to worry about!

Why do you wanna work for near on six hours with only 15 minutes off?

WTD and driving times are maximums NOT targets.

hughgeorghan:
Thank you Nick. I had always been under the impression that it was a 15 before 6 hours then an additional 30 before 9 hours. Obviously it would be highly unlikely not to have accumulated 4.5 hours of driving within 9 hours of work and breaks taken accordingly. Thanks for clarifying this for me. The people that told me otherwise are time served drivers. Make of that what you will!
Thanks again

If you didn’t hit your 4.5 hours driving you wouldn’t NEED to take the additional 30minutes before 9 hours either if your were going to work more than 9 hours. Your total break is counted across your whole shift not in the windows of 6-9-9+ hours…

You could do -

5 hours work
15 minutes break
5 hours work
15 minutes break
4 hours work
15 minutes break
15 minutes work

That would satisfy the breaks for WTD as you have worked no period over 6 hours without a break, and had the total break required over your shift, nor had a break at the start/end of the shift…

Whether you would want to or not is another matter!

I know what you are saying yourehavingalarf but sometimes there are so many unforseeable factors that can delay you as I’m sure you know. I don’t use the maximum as a target.

yourhavingalarf:

Greeeeeeeeeeat :unamused:

So the OP shouldn’t know the limits he can run too IF he/she chooses too?

■■■■■■■■!

I do multi drop too, and knowing the rules so you can shape your day how you want can mean the difference between having a break in a lay by or side street, or making it somewhere with something you value. It can also mean the difference between getting back for appointments or not because you’ve taken an un-necessary break…

bald bloke:
If you started at 06.00 and done a 15 hr day but less than 4.5 hrs of driving you could have a 15 at midday then you’d not need another 15 till 18.15 which sounds ridiculous I know.

You’d need to have a total of 45 minutes break before the end of your shift (even if you did less than 4.5 hours driving). So if you did have just 15 minutes at noon, then 15 minutes at 18.15, you’d still have another 15 minutes to take at some time between 18.30 and 21.00

But as others have said, these are just minimum requirements, not targets!

Thanks Raymondo- Thats pretty much how I have been working. (or at least trying to!). I do one night out a week and it can be the difference between making it to a cafe/services or pulling into a layby in the back of beyond on my second day with no food/toilet.

Last comment was in reply to f-reds. Cheers

So, in effect, you’re happy to work for say nine hours right through just to get a bigger bag of chips, in a slightly less wee smelling lay by at the end of the day right?

Everyone knows multidrop drivers will take the first 15 minute break working or chucking stuff out the back of the van/lorry/tail lift/what ever.

Stuff that.

I would never work through 9 hours even if I could. The question was more about running over the initial 6 hours. I’m big into fitness and I try and eat as healthily as possible when I’m out on the road. I’m still fairly new to the game and deliver nationally so don’t yet know all the best places to stop. I doubt I often get to 1pm before I run out of driving time but an extra 15-30 mins break could stop me getting a delivery off which could knock on and scupper me the following day

yourhavingalarf:

No one is saying you have to, but you can if you want, surely it’s in your own interests to know to regs, don’t you think?

Now answer your own question, if the way your day panned out, working up to 6 before taking a 15 meant getting home when you want to get home, but stopping at 3 or 4 hours for a break meant you wouldn’t or run over your time, what would you do?

yourhavingalarf:
So, in effect, you’re happy to work for say nine hours right through just to get a bigger bag of chips, in a slightly less wee smelling lay by at the end of the day right?

Everyone knows multidrop drivers will take the first 15 minute break working or chucking stuff out the back of the van/lorry/tail lift/what ever.

Stuff that.

■■■■ right I will do if it suits me. Today I worked 7.5 hours with only a 15 minute break, but that meant I could get back to the depot for lunch for my 30, where there is a microwave, kettle, lazy chair, open space, and PEOPLE, and most importantly a clean toilet with paper and soap… So that might not be other peoples cup of tea, but I don’t care, it IS mine and the regs allow me to do it!

I take my breaks properly thanks. Funny how when someone says “everyone” they often mean, “what I used to do…”

Wow…

A microwave.

yourhavingalarf:
Wow…

A microwave.

Yes. Thanks.