Wtd Help Please

Hi All
This is my first post so please forgive me if it is not up to your usual standard : :blush:

I have been having a debate about WTD with a driver at work today about the 6 hour ruling,he thinks that when you reached 6 hours of duty you must take 30 mins break if 4.5hrs is not exceeded,

I think when you reach 6 hours you can take a 15min break if 4.5hrs is not exceeded as long as you take another 15 mins before 9hrs as long as 4.5hrs driving is not exceeded,

His view on this is in that case he can work 8.45 then go home only having 15mins break,to which I said
"you must take the second 15mins before shift end.

Who is correct?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help!!!

ryly1979:
I think when you reach 6 hours you can take a 15min break if 4.5hrs is not exceeded as long as you take another 15 mins before 9hrs as long as 4.5hrs driving is not exceeded

I think this is correct but the second ā€œ15minā€ needs to be 30min, although Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get plenty of replies

ryly1979:
Hi All
This is my first post so please forgive me if it is not up to your usual standard : :blush:

I have been having a debate about WTD with a driver at work today about the 6 hour ruling,he thinks that when you reached 6 hours of duty you must take 30 mins break if 4.5hrs is not exceeded,

I think when you reach 6 hours you can take a 15min break if 4.5hrs is not exceeded as long as you take another 15 mins before 9hrs as long as 4.5hrs driving is not exceeded,

His view on this is in that case he can work 8.45 then go home only having 15mins break,to which I said
"you must take the second 15mins before shift end.

Who is correct?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help!!!

You are correct.

You colleagues argument seems to have a flaw in it, first he says you should have a 30 minute break at 6 hours then says you can work 8 hours forty five minutes with only a 15 minute break :confused:

The 6 hour rule requires a break of 15 minutes.
If you work between six and nine hours working time then you should have a total of 30 minutes break/breaks, this can be split into two 15 minute breaks.

The total of 30 minute breaks should interrupt the working time so no part of it can legally be taken at the immediate end of the shift.

This is of cause not taking into consideration the driving breaks.

Thank you Tacogragh :smiley:
That helps me I sat my CPC National and International last year and thought I may be correct just wanted it confirmed as the driver in question has about 30 years more experience that I do.

George-1982:

ryly1979:
I think when you reach 6 hours you can take a 15min break if 4.5hrs is not exceeded as long as you take another 15 mins before 9hrs as long as 4.5hrs driving is not exceeded

I think this is correct but the second ā€œ15minā€ needs to be 30min, although Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get plenty of replies

Not if itā€™s only for the WTD and not because you have reached 4.5 hours driving. between 6 and 9 hours work itā€™s a total of 30 minutes for the WTD.

Coffeeholic:

George-1982:

ryly1979:

Not if itā€™s only for the WTD and not because you have reached 4.5 hours driving. between 6 and 9 hours work itā€™s a total of 30 minutes for the WTD.

Ahā€¦thanks, I knew someone would be able to correct me if I was wrong. I never knew that only 30min total was needed after 9hrs (without reaching 4.5hrs driving)

Out of curiosity when would the next break need to be taken if your 4.5hrs driving still hadnā€™t been reached after your 9hrs+30min break ?

George-1982:

Coffeeholic:

George-1982:

ryly1979:

Ahā€¦thanks, I knew someone would be able to correct me if I was wrong. I never knew that only 30min total was needed after 9hrs (without reaching 4.5hrs driving)

It isnā€™t. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: You donā€™t need a break at 9 hours, unless it happens to coincide with a driving or 6 hour break. You need 30 minutes toatal for a shift with 6 to 9 hours work but if you are working beyond that you donā€™t need to take all those 30 minutes within the 9 hours.

George-1982:
Out of curiosity when would the next break need to be taken if your 4.5hrs driving still hadnā€™t been reached after your 9hrs+30min break ?

If you have gone beyond 9 hours and have already taken 15 minutes break before exceeding 6 hours work, and you havenā€™t required a break for reaching 4.5 hours driving, then the next break will be due either before exceeding 6 hours work from the end of the first break, at the 4.5 hour driving mark or before the end of the shift, whichever comes first.

The duration of this break will depend on what it is for. For driving or before the end of the shift it would be 30 minutes in this case. If you have just reached 6 hours work from the last break and will be working on then 15 minutes will suffice, with another 15 minutes before shift end, unless you reach 4.5 hours driving after this 15 minutes.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhā€¦boomā€¦head explodes :slight_smile:

Actually reading through a second time it makes senseā€¦just to cover my **** I try to just take 45min any time I have a break, and Iā€™d rather have too much than not enoughā€¦and my boss hasnā€™t moaned yet :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your vast knowledge, and Iā€™ll stop highjacking this thread now :slight_smile:

George-1982:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhā€¦boomā€¦head explodes :slight_smile:

Actually reading through a second time it makes senseā€¦just to cover my **** I try to just take 45min any time I have a break, and Iā€™d rather have too much than not enoughā€¦and my boss hasnā€™t moaned yet :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your vast knowledge, and Iā€™ll stop highjacking this thread now :slight_smile:

Hijack away, itā€™s not a problem and several other people probably have the same questions as you.