WTD enforcement

Has anybody heard of any driver being done for this WTD/RTD ■■■■■■■■, I haven’t, because I reckon that said authorities see through it for what it really is, a PR excercise with the purpose of “Being seen to be doing the right thing” in terms of driver’s working hours, where as in real terms NOTHING has changed, thanks to the POA cop out being introduced, so they turn a blind eye.
A similar and more lucrative PR situation has been created with the introduction of the DCPC :imp:

robroy:
Has anybody heard of any driver being done for this WTD/RTD ■■■■■■■■, I haven’t, because I reckon that said authorities see through it for what it really is, a PR excercise with the purpose of “Being seen to be doing the right thing” in terms of driver’s working hours, where as in real terms NOTHING has changed, thanks to the POA cop out being introduced, so they turn a blind eye.
A similar and more lucrative PR situation has been created with the introduction of the DCPC :imp:

If yyou are involved in a serious RTA you will be investigated without a doubt, my Brother in Law is a senior traffic officer …and if you are over hours the brown stuff hits the fan in a big way according to him !
Apart from that ?

If there was no POA then it would not make any difference because break could be used to extend the working day/shift

If the EU really wanted to restrict shift times then making a max average 48 hour shift time would need to be introduced - I think that was the original intention but the UK vetoed it if I have my facts correct

From what I have read its only some companies that give non legal internal RTD infringements but a driver could be fired for breaching company poilcy

The WTD is a waste of time .Why bother having rules that sections of can be opted out .We had a case where a new driver (class 2) came in and started going on about the 10 hour rule for nights ,the boss phoned VOSA to clarify if it applied and they told him to ask each driver if they wanted to opt out and sign a form if they did .Since we are self employed it makes sense so i opted out as did most

The WTD directive is bs. If someone wants to hand me some money towards my mortgage,bills,food,car etc then ill happily stick to the 48hours until then the do gooders can stick it. Ill stick to the drivers hours regs which I’d rarely max out each week but until someone offers me a hand out(which won’t happen)I won’t feel to guilty for going over the WTD by a few hours each week.

WTD can be a good thing, in certain areas…I used to work as a PSV mechanic with PSV licence, prior to WTD. Often I would work all week in garage & then(this time of year) drive all weekend & evenings too. Yeah I got paid, so yeah I did it, but I was still dog-tired (on longer trips). Complied with EU Drivers’ Hours but still exceeded (present) WTD limits - by a mile!!!
This shouldn’t be possible now because of WTD…problems:

1. Enforcement at present is almost self-regulating (only as good as company’s/drivers’ compliance), unless there is a bad accident (as ROG mentioned above). But this will probably change directly.
  2. STILL alot of company’s/operators/agencies/drivers who wrongly believe they can ‘Opt Out’ of ALL WTD limits. This of course is not possible at all if under scope of EU Drivers’ Hours, even for Owner Drivers any longer.
  3. Many of the above mentioned DO NOT know limits, requirements and correct recording methods/timescales of WTD.
    I believe WTD (along with Drivers’ Hours) should be a mandatory DCPC module.

One hymn book - let’s all sing from it!!!

No.

Unless they want you for something else, then they’ll do you for it as well or instead of the thing they wanted you for but couldn’t make stick.

The only infringements I seem to get amount to “not taking a break by 6 hours into the duty” usually when I’m parked up on the M25 all afternoon, with nowhere to pull off and take a break. :frowning: Nowdays, I try and plan breaks better, so I have been clean of WTD infringements these last few months. If I’m driving towards a “high risk chance of traffic jam” zone, I’ll take a 30 min break before embarking on that stretch… :exclamation: :bulb:

I note of late that VOSA and the regular plod cars are having words with the foreigners parked behind the concrete hard shoulder wall under the bridges on the M25 at least… :smiling_imp:

Daz1970:
unless there is a bad accident (as ROG mentioned above). But this will probably change directly.

Apologies folks…it wasn’t ROG that mentioned this but was mentioned in the thread by 3 Wheeler.

Sorry again!!!