WTD breaks

WTD breaks distribution over 13 and 15 hours shift in case if you have plenty of other work + poa and you do not drive much because you do multi drop (a few drops) - that is what I am looking for.

My question is: what is the minimum requirement of having of accumulated breaks if you do 15 hours shift?

Let’s say you start at 3 AM and it comes to 9 AM. Personally, I take 45 minutes break instead of 30 minutes because it resets my driving time by the way. 9:45 AM and you start driving straight away. 9:45 + 6 hours - 15:45 - what do you do then? I reckon it is at least 30 minutes break as long as you do not need to have 45 minutes to reset your driving time.

You only need 15 mins when you reach 6 hrs of work but then again if you’ve done nearly 4 hrs of driving I suppose you might as well have a 45.

A 15 hr day will only require 45 mins of breaks as long as you time them right and don’t do more than 9 hrs of driving.

Just remember 15 mins after 6 hrs of work will suffice.

A driver must not work more than 6 hours without having a break of at least 15 mins
That means any 6 hours during the shift

Its usually the back of the shift that many miss the 6 hour/15 min break which then gets a company infringement

So far (over 5 years) the authorities have not been interested in this or any other bit of the RT(WT)R

Wilk:
WTD breaks distribution over 13 and 15 hours shift in case if you have plenty of other work + poa and you do not drive much because you do multi drop (a few drops) - that is what I am looking for.

If your total working time is more than 9 hours you should have at-least 45 minutes break/breaks.

Wilk:
My question is: what is the minimum requirement of having of accumulated breaks if you do 15 hours shift?

As said above 45 minute break which can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.

Wilk:
Let’s say you start at 3 AM and it comes to 9 AM. Personally, I take 45 minutes break instead of 30 minutes because it resets my driving time by the way. 9:45 AM and you start driving straight away. 9:45 + 6 hours - 15:45 - what do you do then?

If your last break ends at 09:45 you should have another break of at-least 15 minutes no later than 15:45, that’s 6 hours working time from the end of the last break.

I am copying this from Vosa Guide to drivers’ hours:

Breaks:
— Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
— If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a
break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or
breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.
— Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

“Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.”

As it is written ‘a break’ but not stated how long should be this break.

So far, I understand this way: I cannot work more than 6 hours without taking a break (30 minutes) or two breaks of 15 minutes each.
I start at 3 AM. Between 3 AM and 9 AM I take two breaks of 15 minutes or one break of 30 minutes where as the latest minute to take the break is 9:00. If I work more than 9 hours, I need an extra break which is 15 minutes and latest minute is 12:00. I cannot find where it is stated that if you work 6 hours, you need only 15 minutes break.

Wilk:

Breaks:
— Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
— If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a
— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or

“Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.”

So far, I understand this way: I cannot work more than 6 hours without taking a break (30 minutes) or two breaks of 15 minutes each.
I start at 3 AM. Between 3 AM and 9 AM I take two breaks of 15 minutes or one break of 30 minutes where as the latest minute to take the break is 9:00. If I work more than 9 hours, I need an extra break which is 15 minutes and latest minute is 12:00. I cannot find where it is stated that if you work 6 hours, you need only 15 minutes break.

You are reading it incorrectly as many other do

By moving the lines around you get what they really mean…

These two refer to the 6 hour rule

These two refer to the total amount of break for the working time done in a shift
OR - NOT BOTH

Wilk:

I cannot find where it is stated that if you work 6 hours, you need only 15 minutes break.

you need to re red what you have quoted.

Wilk:

Breaks:
Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

Wilk:
I cannot find where it is stated that if you work 6 hours, you need only 15 minutes break.

The regulations don’t stipulate a 15 minute break for the 6 hour rule, in fact there is no break duration stipulated for the 6 hour rule so it’s assumed to be the shortest break that will count for the RT(WT)R, the shortest break that can be counted towards the total breaks is 15 minutes.

Sorry to steal this thread but -

I had to go on POA for 8 hrs on wed to get my wt down for the ref period. My question is, when I put it in as a manual entry in the tacho on sat when I start work after weekly rest, how can I put that I had a 30min break during the day? Unknown time ‘?’ For 30mins?

Wilk:

Breaks:

Indeed it does not state how long it should be therefore it is the minimum requirement for a WTD break and that is clearly stated

Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

Wilk:

Above you correctly said it doesn’t state how long the break should be at 6 hours work but here you’ve decided it must be 30 minutes,that’s incorrect and you aren’t using the information on a WTD break provided.

Wilk:
I start at 3 AM. Between 3 AM and 9 AM I take two breaks of 15 minutes or one break of 30 minutes where as the latest minute to take the break is 9:00. If I work more than 9 hours, I need an extra break which is 15 minutes and latest minute is 12:00.

You do not need any more break before 12:00. There is no requirement for a WTD break before exceeding 9 hours work, which in your scenario you won’t have been reached at 12:00 because you had 30 minutes break so 9 hours work could not be before 12:30. If you are not working more than 9 hours in your example you would not need another break because you have had the 30 minutes for between 6 and 9 hours work. If you are doing more than 9 hours work then the other 15 minutes would either be before the end of the shift or before exceeding 6 hours work since the last break, whichever comes first and not because you’ve reached 9 hours work.

Wilk:

I can. Before exceeding 6 hours work you must have a break. A break for the WTD is 15 minutes. Both those facts are cl;early stated in your quote from the regulations.

What I cannot find is where it is stated you must have 30 minutes before exceeding 6 hours?

In answer to your original question it is impossible to say how much break you need for the WTD in a 13 or 15 hour shift. It’s not the length of the shift which triggers a WTD break but the amount of work in the shift. You could do a 13 or 15 hours shift with less than 4.5 hours driving, less than 6 hours work and a lot of POA and not need to show any break at all.

I used to do a double manned night trunk where the shift was around 9-10 hours I generally drove for about 4 hours and there was maybe at most 1 hour other work. The rest of the shift was POA while my colleague drove. I went months and never recorded a single minute of break. Didn’t need to, didn’t do more than 4.5 hours driving or 6 hours work (Driving and Other Work).

wheelyb:
Sorry to steal this thread but -

I had to go on POA for 8 hrs on wed to get my wt down for the ref period. My question is, when I put it in as a manual entry in the tacho on sat when I start work after weekly rest, how can I put that I had a 30min break during the day? Unknown time ‘?’ For 30mins?

Why would you need to? If that was all you did on the day and didn’t do 6 hours work then no break needed.

Not sure I understand what you mean wheelyb, you had whole day off as POA? If that is case you don’t need to insert a break as you didn’t do any working time (cross hammers)

Ahhh I see, my bad, I was under the impression I still had to show a break for some reason :blush:

wheelyb:
Ahhh I see, my bad, I was under the impression I still had to show a break for some reason :blush:

Nope you can do 15 hrs of poa don’t need to show any break.

bald bloke:

so where do you show your booking off and on time :wink:

Normal start time show a few minutes work then 8 hrs POA then a few mins work then daily/weekly rest . Since you can’t finish a shift on a break ?

nick2008:

bald bloke:

so where do you show your booking off and on time :wink:

Where ever you want but still don’t need to show a break do you.

What I was told and found on the web that POA moves your 6-hour rule. If I start at 3 AM and have 3 hours of POA so that my WTD break is at 12 o’clock. Am I correct?

Wilk:
What I was told and found on the web that POA moves your 6-hour rule. If I start at 3 AM and have 3 hours of POA so that my WTD break is at 12 o’clock. Am I correct?

yes

Wilk:

Yes that’s right, the rule is that you should not work more than 6 hours without a break, POA doesn’t count as working time so does not count towards the 6 hours.