Wtd break-law changed?

the wtd break i.e 30 mins at 6 hrs work,has the law changed,does this have to be taken in one 30 min period or can it be broken into 2 x15 mins or a 20 and a 10 etc■■?

I believe it can be 2x15min breaks

The RT(WT)R break has NEVER required 30 minutes at or before 6 hours of work

Many get the break required for the maximum 6 hours of work mixed up with the total of breaks required for the total work done in a shift

RT(WT)R BREAKS (see 5.4)

-mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break,
-if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,
-if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes,
-breaks should be of at least 15 minutes duration

How I would present this to avoid some confusion

break required for the maximum 6 hours of work
-mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break,
-breaks should be of at least 15 minutes duration

total of breaks required for the total work done in a shift
-if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,
OR
-if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes,

I put in the word OR as many also believe that 30 minutes must be taken at or before 9 hours of work

clarkyboy:
has the law changed

No

clarkyboy:
he wtd break i.e 30 mins at 6 hrs work

@ 6hrs you ONLY need to take 15 mins.

You ONLY need 30 mins if you work between six and nine hours.

can be taken as 2 x 15.

We just had (as in earlier this week) a compulsory “refresher session” on digi tachos, working time regs etc. The “trainer” (who, I am led to believe is a senior manager within our company) trotted out this “you must take a 30 minute break before six hours” mantra and would not be budged from it even when I explained the legal requirements in detail. In the end he retreated to a “it’s company policy” position and said we would simply have to agree to disagree. I let it go at that point as life’s too short anyway. It did rankle a bit though when I had to deliberately fudge the answers in the multiple choice “test” at the end of the session (or get black-flagged for inadequate professional knowledge).

clarkyboy:
the wtd break i.e 30 mins at 6 hrs work,has the law changed,does this have to be taken in one 30 min period or can it be broken into 2 x15 mins or a 20 and a 10 etc■■?

The regulations require that if you work between 6 and 9 hours working time you should have a break/breaks totalling at least 30 minutes, this can be split into parts of no less than 15 minutes each.

You should have a break of at least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours working time.

Roymondo:
We just had (as in earlier this week) a compulsory “refresher session” on digi tachos, working time regs etc. The “trainer” (who, I am led to believe is a senior manager within our company) trotted out this “you must take a 30 minute break before six hours” mantra and would not be budged from it even when I explained the legal requirements in detail. In the end he retreated to a “it’s company policy” position and said we would simply have to agree to disagree. I let it go at that point as life’s too short anyway. It did rankle a bit though when I had to deliberately fudge the answers in the multiple choice “test” at the end of the session (or get black-flagged for inadequate professional knowledge).

This compulsory refresher session, was it on digi tachos, working time or just silly company policy? Tell the senior manager he isn’t fit to manage a netball team and send him to see me :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and tell him Coffeeholic called him a trumpet of the first degree :laughing:

Honestly if you have to “fudge” an answer to pass a compulsory test, what is the zb point?