WTD - break after 6hours

Hello folks, I need an advise…when I´m split the break for 15minutes and 30minutes…must I do the second break of 30minutes after 6 hours when I started a shift…or its possible take the break 6 hours after the first 15minutes break. ( driving is less than 4,5 hour )

EXAMPLE:

a) START SHIFT - 2 hours driving - 15MINUTES BREAK - 2 hours driving, 4 hours working - 30MINUTES BREAK- continue shift

or I must take a break of minimum 30minutes after 6 hours from starting the shift

START SHIFT - 2 hours driving - 15MINUTES BREAK - 2hours driving, 2hours working - 30MINUTES BREAK - continue shift

thank you for answer, its help me a lot :slight_smile:

Darek:
Hello folks, I need an advise…when I´m split the break for 15minutes and 30minutes…must I do the second break of 30minutes after 6 hours when I started a shift…or its possible take the break 6 hours after the first 15minutes break. ( driving is less than 4,5 hour )

EXAMPLE:

a) START SHIFT - 2 hours driving - 15MINUTES BREAK - 2 hours driving, 4 hours working - 30MINUTES BREAK- continue shift

or I must take a break of minimum 30minutes after 6 hours from starting the shift

START SHIFT - 2 hours driving - 15MINUTES BREAK - 2hours driving, 2hours working - 30MINUTES BREAK - continue shift

thank you for answer, its help me a lot :slight_smile:

A) all good apart from the fact you only require to take a 15 mins break again for wtd , but to be honest 30 mins will cover you for your driving break that you would require in the next 30 mins of driving anyway.

the wtd require a driver to not work MORE THAN 6 hours without a break, so taking a break after 6 hours would be an infringement anyway.

Rule 1
You cannot work more than six hours without a break.

THIS IS A MANDATORY RULE.
Please note the words “more than” this is different to the “after” as being suggested by some members posts.
It doesn’t say how long you need just that you need a break. So if you know your going to hit six hours of work then you will need a break.

Rule 2

If working time is between 6-9hrs then you should have 30mins break or breaks totaling 30mins.
FOR WANT OF A BETTER WORD THIS IS A FLOATING RULE
IF (again this gives notice that it isn’t mandatory).

Rule 3
If working time is nine hours or over then 45mins break or breaks totalling 45mins
Again, same as rule 2. This is a floating rule. If working over 6 hours then either rule 2 or 3 will come into play and the other will fall out.

For both rule two and rule three, as drivers, we know roughly how long we shall be working each day so we know which out of rule 2 and rule 3 we need to comply with.

Rule 4
Breaks should be of at least 15minutes in duration

Again this is mandatory. It means that you can not have 5 mins x3 but must be at minimum, 15mins in duration.
This rule also answers rule one. The break required at minimum must be 15mins at minimum.

So therefore if you are working over 9hrs you would need a break at 6hrs (rule 1) of 15 minutes minimum (rule 4).
You would then not need another break (for the sake of the WTD) until 12:15 (remember that breaks and POA do not count towards WTD)
This is due to rule 2 not applying to the driver and therefore does not need to be complied with

Therefore you would not need a break between six and nine hours as you can legally work 12:15 hours with only a 15 minute break.
This is all subject to not requiring a break for the RTD

Obviously it goes with out saying that, breaks for the RTD, also count towards WTD as long as at minimum they are 15 minutes

not wanting to hijack op post/topic but if you go into work say 6am but don’t get a wagon till 9am, do a manual entry for the 3hours sat around as poa, when does your working day start from 6am or 9am and when would you be due to take a break?

Christ I’m so glad I’m back on tippers. Start between 6.30-7am. 15minutes break at 10am then 30minutes at midday. No POA ■■■■■■■■, maybe a 15 in the afternoon if ahead of a ■■■■ easy schedule (I sort most of my work out myself :smiley: ) and always parked up by 5pm.
Wait, no it isn’t that great, my lorry is old, has no bling and the inside is a bit dirty. :wink:

dreamlands2001:
not wanting to hijack op post/topic but if you go into work say 6am but don’t get a wagon till 9am, do a manual entry for the 3hours sat around as poa, when does your working day start from 6am or 9am and when would you be due to take a break?

you will have 6 hours from 9 am as poa does not count towards your working time, even though your shift started at 6 am.

thanks wildfire

dreamlands2001:

Working day starts at 0600h. Daily rest to start 1900h/2100h depending on what reductions are available in the bag.

First break if driving hours rules don’t trigger it before, 1500h, minimum 15 mins

dreamlands2001:

POA has no affect on when your working day begins, you could be on POA all day but you’re still at work so you shift/working day starts at 06:00.

thank you for answer wildfire…than If I undrestand it good… START SHIFT - 2 hours driving - 15MINUTES BREAK- 2hours driving + 4hours working -30MINUTES BREAK-4hours driving - END SHIFT… this is correct with rules?

Darek:
thank you for answer wildfire…than If I undrestand it good… START SHIFT - 2 hours driving - 15MINUTES BREAK- 2hours driving + 4hours working -30MINUTES BREAK-4hours driving - END SHIFT… this is correct with rules?

yes mate complied with all the rules

Darek:

As said = yes

At no point have you done more than 6 hours work without a break
You have complied with the driving time breaks
You have complied with the total amount of breaks required for over 9 hours of work

Good example of how a split driving break can also be used to comply with the RT(WT)R break rules

Just out of interest, has anybody actually been done for contravening this wtd horse sh, as the realists amongst us know it is just a cop out (and an appeasement to the likes of Tesco) anyway, to make it look on the face of things that we are actually working sensible reduced hours, where as in reality we are not because of poa. :smiling_imp:

The original proposal was to make it 48 hours shift time but the UK Govt vetoed it

ROG:
The original proposal was to make it 48 hours shift time but the UK Govt vetoed it

That’s my point, they are ■■■■ scared of multi million pound empires such as Tescos for one.
If 48 hours had been implemented in reality, they would have to get their fingers out of their arses and get us out on a quick turnaround, thus making the transport industry more cost effective and efficient, but they went for a policy of appeasement favouring the multi nationals, whereby they and their like could continue to ■■■■ us about…but the clever part was, that because of the brilliant idea of poa, we were seen on the surface to be only working the required amount of maximum time to their criteria, so everybody,s happy, Tesco etc were not upset, and the govt/EU were seen to be tackling the ridiculous hours that we were expected to work.
But as we all know actually nothing changed in the industry, and drivers were continued to be expected to do 15 hour days, and even to be shafted to the point in some cases where poa was not even paid for.
The fact that some knobs would be willing to sit in a truck 24/7/365 does not help the situation either.
Don’t you just love this job?
To add to my original question, I don’t think any driver in the UK has been done on wtd, because in real terms it don’t exist, so blind eyes are turned to maintain the system.