WTD And tacho if driving is not your day job

Ok so thinking of going back on the road in a few weeks but I can only work every other sat due to drivers hours, now heres the question how do I make a note of my main job hours - is this on a rack of analouge tachos or can they be stuck on digi card < If this option how the heck do I upload presume I will have to have access to a digi tacho meter…

Sorry I am stating the obvious but I just want to make sure I am legit … I presume I still have to cary 15 days of charts up to the day I drive.?

If anyone could clarify I would be greatfull. Reason I do driving as second job is that I earn more per hour doing my office job < even though I hate it and got my licence as I wanted to get out of the office and sit in another mobile office on my own so to speak. I wouldnt mind getting a full time transport job but the hours are pretty crappy :frowning: but then again maybe its me being poncy and having a set daily start and finish time need bringing out of my comfort zone, and more importantly do a bit of graft for a change.

If using tacho cards, then a card must be made out for each day with your name, start & finish time if you drove on EU regs during that week (sun midnight to sun midnight). This is so that VOSA can see your daily breaks.

Not been digi tacho trained so cannot help you with that :frowning:

Coffeeholic or tachograph can tell you more and if I am in error with the above I am sure they will correct me…

… or shoot me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bubble:
Ok so thinking of going back on the road in a few weeks but I can only work every other sat due to drivers hours, now heres the question how do I make a note of my main job hours - is this on a rack of analouge tachos or can they be stuck on digi card < If this option how the heck do I upload presume I will have to have access to a digi tacho meter…

Your record of your other work must be either:

Written manually on a chart.
Written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph.
Made by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph.

As ROG says, all you need to enter is your name, the date and the start and finish times of your shift.

Bubble:
I presume I still have to cary 15 days of charts up to the day I drive

No, from the start of this year the requirement is to carry the current day and the previous 28 calendar days. If you have been issued with a digital driver’s card you must also carry that with you, even when driving a non digi equipped vehicle and even if you have never used the card. As of the 5th of February 2008 the period in which charts must be returned has been legally changed from 21 days to 42 days, starting on the day after the latest date to which the record relates.

ROG:
If using tacho cards, then a card must be made out for each day with your name, start & finish time if you drove on EU regs during that week (sun midnight to sun midnight). This is so that VOSA can see your daily breaks.

Not been digi tacho trained so cannot help you with that :frowning:

Coffeeholic or tachograph can tell you more and if I am in error with the above I am sure they will correct me…

… or shoot me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I doubt it - looks correct to me.

However, in answer to the OP’s questions:

1. If, at any point in a week, you drive under EU regs, you are required to create a legal record of all hours worked during that week (for all your employers).
  2. You have to carry records for all of the previous 28 days were records were required (under the above rules).
  3. Records can be manually-completed tacho charts, manually-completed digital tacho “till roll”, or entries on a digital tacho card. You can enter the records on a digital tacho card if you like, but it’s a bit of a faff. Personally, I’d do it on paper charts or on a till roll.

Coffeeholic:
As ROG says, all you need to enter is your name, the date and the start and finish times of your shift.

I’m starting to get good at this - might take over from coffeeholic soon… :unamused: :wink:

DIVES INTO NEAREST BOMB SHELTER…

![](http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z306/dgsa_adr/crosshairs.jpg)

Thanks for the replies however if you do a job whilst on agency how the heck do you get hold of 28 days worth of tachos or if you have a digital the roll to write on

for example if I was to get a roll and manually write on the hours of my day job covering the last 4 weeks (hours never change) could I then just keep that with me and then obv fill in the analouge or digital for the actual truck part?

I hope you understand what I am trying to get at.

Dave

Bubble:
Thanks for the replies however if you do a job whilst on agency how the heck do you get hold of 28 days worth of tachos or if you have a digital the roll to write on

You may have to buy, beg, steal or borrow a box of discs. Remember you only need records for a week in which you have driven under EU rules which means you do not require records for 28 days as you only work every second Saturday and no records are required for the weeks in which you do not drive.

Bubble:
for example if I was to get a roll and manually write on the hours of my day job covering the last 4 weeks (hours never change) could I then just keep that with me and then obv fill in the analouge or digital for the actual truck part?

They say it should be - Written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph - and just writing it on a blank roll wouldn’t I feel qualify as a printout from a digital tacho, if it is a blank roll it isn’t by definition a printout. By far the easiest option I think is to use blank charts and just fill in your name, the date in the centre filed and write your start and finish times either on the front of back of the chart. You couldn’t just make one entry to cover all the days, even though the hours are the same as the requirement is a separate record for each day.

You can buy a 100 pack of charts on eBay for about a fiver.
As you only want them for writing on the cheapest you can find should do the job.
Tachograph Charts on eBay

thanks this is a useful thread, so i work for an agency for 1 day this week i need to fill tachos in for the other days of work (ie office duties), do i carry these non driving tachos with me for 28 days ■■ and also after that period do i keep the non driving tachos or will the agency require them or whoever i have been driving for that week

bigmatt2806:
thanks this is a useful thread, so i work for an agency for 1 day this week i need to fill tachos in for the other days of work (ie office duties), do i carry these non driving tachos with me for 28 days ■■ and also after that period do i keep the non driving tachos or will the agency require them or whoever i have been driving for that week

Yes you will need to carry them for the 28 days (when you’re driving), It’s unlikely that the agency would want them so you can keep them if you want.

I could be wrong about this but as far as I know there’s no requirement to keep the records for none driving days after the 28 days.

tachograph:
As you only want them for writing on the cheapest you can find should do the job.

Can tachos with the 19_ _ date be used when recording a Mon to Fri job :question:

There are a lot of them about and as far as I know they cannot be used for recording in the lorry this century.

ROG:

tachograph:

Can tachos with the 19_ _ date be used when recording a Mon to Fri job :question:

There are a lot of them about and as far as I know they cannot be used for recording in the lorry this century.

Off hand I know of no regulation that says you can’t cross out the “19”, I don’t have time to check the regulations right now but as far as I can remember it says only that the start of shift and end of shift dates should be shown.

Plenty good enough to record none driving days I would have thought, and probably legal to record driving days, but I stand to be corrected if you have a link to different information :wink:

:bulb: Maybe coffeeholic can enlighten us :smiley:

My understanding of the Regulations is that whilst they stipulate what information must be recorded, there is no pro-forma in the legislation that sets out how it must be recorded within the centre field. The format that has evolved over the years simply provides an aide-memoir as to what needs to be recorded and suggests a logical placement.

I’d certainly use pre a 2000 chart and simply overwrite the 19__

Although, I suppose, if someone wanted to be pedantic, it could be classed as an alteration. But it is an alteration of of something pre-printed rather than an alteration of an entry made.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Just write ‘2008’ (or whatever the year is) clearly on the date line. No offence committed providing the date is correct and writing does not obscure traces made on the chart by the Recording Equipment.