WTD and Driving Hours Combined

Hi Guys!

First post and nice to meet you all. I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and have gleaned lots of info from very informative members. A very colourful crowd you lot!!

Back to point - I’m a Transport Supervisor from a small company but moving to our parent company… More vehicles and more driving hours to deal with.

My question is - Working Time Directive dictates breaks in time worked and obviously accumulated driving time over 4.5 hours requires a break.

What is an efficient way to incorporate breaks in a multi-drop business with driving time up to 9 hours? I will be studying for TMCPC by year end but time restrictions at the moment dictate…

Please be kind - I like a laugh but pendanticicm is just wasting your one finger typing… :slight_smile:

Cheers in Advance - GaZ

Driving breaks also count for the RT(WT)R breaks so if the drivers are doing more than 4½ hours driving the 45 minute driving break will be sufficient for the daily required RT(WT)R breaks, the only thing your drivers will need to be careful about is not doing more than six hours working time before having a break of at-least 15 minutes.
However if they do have to have a 15 minute break for the six hour rule it will count as the first part of a split driving break, that is of course if the drivers don’t mind having a split driving break.

It’s a bit difficult to be more precise without knowing the exact circumstances of the jobs, every job’s different so obviously the drivers are the best people to know when the best time to have a break is.

Thanks for the reply tachograph :slight_smile:

The company I work for at the moment (bread delivery 7.5t - Class 2) never go over the 4.5 hours driving, therefore the six hour rule applies - up to 9 hours of ‘work’ .

The parent company has ‘long haul’ pickups incorporating artics - this is something I have to learn due to the driving time involved.

I really appreciate your response.

Can you give an example of a typical shift where the driving time is between 4.5 and 9 hours?

GaZaRR:

• I like a laugh but pendanticicm is just wasting your one finger typing…

Sorry for being pedantic but Its Pedanticism. P.E.D.A.N.T.I.C.I.S.M :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

One “N”, one “C” and one “S”…And I used TWO fingers to type that! :laughing: :wink:

Welcome to the T/N forums though! :wink:

Thanks ROG.

I don’t mean to be vague, but I don’t start in my new position until 16th March and I’m pretty sure some of the drivers may be members here. I’ll end up wearing a dunce hat in the car park before I get to the office on my first day!!

Lets say - Point A to Point B is a 3.5 hour drive.
Collection takes approx. 45 mins.
Point B has to drop off at Point C & D before returning to Point A. (approx 5 hours to return)

One clue only - its Ireland… :wink:

bullitt:

GaZaRR:

• I like a laugh but pendanticicm is just wasting your one finger typing…

Sorry for being pedantic but Its Pedanticism. P.E.D.A.N.T.I.C.I.S.M :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

One “N”, one “C” and one “S”…And I used TWO fingers to type that! :laughing: :wink:

Welcome to the T/N forums though! :wink:

I see what you did there!! Oh you… :smiley:

GaZaRR:
…I see what you did there!! Oh you… :smiley:

Good man, having a sense of humour helps a lot on here. :wink:

bullitt:
Good man, having a sense of humour helps a lot on here. :wink:

I’ll be starting the ‘bullitt joke thread’ then?? Just messin’ mate - thanks for the welcome… :slight_smile:

One thing to mention - running off a Restricted O Licence due to own goods. I give that info in case of further queries. :wink:

GaZaRR:
Thanks ROG.

I don’t mean to be vague, but I don’t start in my new position until 16th March and I’m pretty sure some of the drivers may be members here. I’ll end up wearing a dunce hat in the car park before I get to the office on my first day!!

Lets say - Point A to Point B is a 3.5 hour drive.
Collection takes approx. 45 mins.
Point B has to drop off at Point C & D before returning to Point A. (approx 5 hours to return)

One clue only - its Ireland… :wink:

how long is the drive from point b to c? if that is under an hour might pay to put a set break in of 45 mins after the driver does the drop at C, then he can carry on to D and home,

say, a driver starts at 6 am, uses his 4.5 hrs driving time by 12:00 noon, needs to take a 45 mins break, finishes his break at 12:45,then he knows he won’t be driving much (definitely less than 4.5 hrs) but will be working for over 6 hrs, lets say he will finish his work at 19:30.
He won’t be able to use any POAs.
How many break, if any, does he still need to take before the end of his shift?

internetfan:
say, a driver starts at 6 am, uses his 4.5 hrs driving time by 12:00 noon, needs to take a 45 mins break, finishes his break at 12:45,then he knows he won’t be driving much (definitely less than 4.5 hrs) but will be working for over 6 hrs, lets say he will finish his work at 19:30.
He won’t be able to use any POAs.
How many break, if any, does he still need to take before the end of his shift?

He should not do more than six hours working time without a break, so the driver would need to split the time from 12:45 to 19:30 with a break of at-least 15 minutes so a 15 minute break starting any-time between 13:15 and 18:45 would suffice.

Thanx Tachograph for your help. much appreciated

I used to work for multi-drop company and the best solution I came up with was to take 15 min before 6 h of work and 30 after 6 and before 9 keeping an eye on driving time which comes up on the dash board display these days :wink: . In case of a longer day I would make sure to take 15 before 6 hours is up after taking 30 if that makes sense. Total driving time was between 2 and 6 hours though.