WTD 6 hour rule.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:
coffeeholic - did I say that correctly :question: :question:
In the spirit of the season I put my gun to ground and agree you did indeed say that correctly. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

First time for everything :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• do I get a gold star :question:

Don’t push it, my Christmas spirit only runs so far. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

mind the rules a pain in the Arse
this to all at the DFT for making and allowing stupid rules

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:
coffeeholic - did I say that correctly :question: :question:
In the spirit of the season I put my gun to ground and agree you did indeed say that correctly. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

First time for everything :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• do I get a gold star :question:

Don’t push it, my Christmas spirit only runs so far. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:
in the reg it says the above

if you work for a company and your shift stars at 6.00 and you work till 14.00
in 6hours you must take a brake of 30 cos if you read it between 6 and 9 hours
this is what i am getting at when you have work 6 hours you take a brake at 12.00 till 12.15 your shift finish at 13.00 before 13.00 you sill have to take 15 mins brake as you have worked over six hours

Correct, you would have working time of more than 6 but less than 9 hours so would need breaks totalling 30 minutes

delboytwo:
so as you have work 6 hours you must take a brake of 30 before 15.00 as you that is why you have to show that you had a brake at 14.45 till 15.00 it does not matter that you had the 15 mins at 12.00 till 12.15 you only had 15 min you still have to take 15 nins before the 15.00 as you have gone in to the six hour

No, not if you will be working time will be more than 9 hours, you can take the remaining 30 minutes, in one or two parts before the end of your shift, it doesn’t have to be before exceeding 9 hours.

delboytwo:
also to add if you go over 9 hours you have to take 15 mins more

Correct, more than you have to take for working time of 9 hours or less

delboytwo:
so if you start at 6.00 and you shift finishes at 16.00 you have to take 45 nins in total

Only if in the 10 hours duty time, 06:00 - 16:00, you accumulate more than 9 hours work.

delboytwo:
you could do this 12.00 till 12.15 next 14.45 till 15.00 and next 15.00 till 15.15 than work for 45 min and you have met the working time

You would have but you don’t have to take the second 15 minutes at 14:45, it could be later than that.

delboytwo:
if you work 6 hours and 1 min you must take 30min brake before 9 hours are up

No you don’t. Nowhere in the regulations does it state you must take 30 minutes before accumulating 9 hours work. The only stipulation in the WTD regarding taking a break before exceeding a certain amount of work is 6 hours. The remaining breaks, how much you need to take and when are dependent on amount of work done.

As I pointed out above you are reading the requirement for a shift containing between 6 and 9 hours work and applying it to a shift containing more than 9 hours work. The 6 - 9 hour requirement, Section 7 (2) of the regulations doesn’t apply to a shift with more than 9 hours work, that is covered by Section 7 (3).

You also should remember that it isn’t the time you start work that governs when a break must be taken, it is when you clock up 6 hours work, you could start work at 06:00 and not have to take a break until well after 12:00, and in some cases not be required to take a break at all. I do sometimes a shift where I start at 12:30 and finish at 19:30 -19:45, during which I usually do between 4 and 4.5 hours driving and about 45 minutes of other work. My duty time for the shift is 7 - 7.25 hours but as I don’t reach 4.5 hours driving or 6 hours work I don’t require a break for either set of regulations.

delboytwo wrote:
if you work 6 hours and 1 min you must take 30min brake before 9 hours are up

No you don’t. Nowhere in the regulations does it state you must take 30 minutes before accumulating 9 hours work. The only stipulation in the WTD regarding taking a break before exceeding a certain amount of work is 6 hours. The remaining breaks, how much you need to take and when are dependent on amount of work done.

yes it does if you work 6 without a brake you must take 30 mins before 9 hours

it is in the reg 30min must be taken between 6 and 9 hours of work and if you work over nine hours you must take another 15 mins it does not say how long your job or shift is

this is from gv262

If you are driving under the EU drivers’ hours rules
If you operate a vehicle in scope of the EU drivers’ hours rules, then you are subject to the Road
Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 (as amended — ‘the 2005 Regulations’), unless you are
an occasional mobile worker or self-employed as defined in the 2005 Regulations (see text boxes
at the end of this Annex for definitions).
The main provisions of the 2005 Regulations are as follows:

• Weekly working time must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period.
    A maximum working time of 60 hours can be performed in any single week providing the average
    48-hour limit is not exceeded.
  • Night work: if night work is performed, working time must not exceed 10 hours in any 24-hour
    period. Night-time is the period between 00.00 and 04.00 for goods vehicles and between 01.00
    and 05.00 for passenger vehicles. The 10-hour limit may be exceeded if this is permitted under a
    collective or workforce agreement.
    - Breaks:
    — Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
    — If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by
    a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
    — If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break
    or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.
    — Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.- Rest: the Regulations are the same as the EU or AETR drivers’ hours rules.
  • Record keeping: records need to be kept for two years after the period in question.

so going on this you must take a brake before 6 hours of work IE 15 min and then take another brake before the 9 hour as passed in total 30 mins

this is my way

a driver dos muti drop work and in is day he works 11 hours but he never does more than 4 hours driving so under EU driver regs he does not need a tacho brake but under the WTD he will have to show a brake of 45 mins 30 min within the frist nine hours of work and the other 15 mins brake after 9 hours
this is what i am trying to get across

del

Coffeeholic:
Just to add Del, you don’t seem to be reading what you are writing, look at the first bit below and read it carefully

delboytwo:
if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,

You need to pay particular attention to the two words in red and realise that if your working time does not total between 6 and 9 hours then that part of the regulations does not apply, so you need to see what applies to working time of less than 6 or more than 9 hours.

i know that its if or when but under tachgraph example this is what my post are about the way in is example
the worker worked 12 hours and only took 15 mins brake that what my post are about

del

del

just to try and get what i am on about

would you agree that you need WTD of 30 in 9 hours work
that you have to take a brake of 45 min if you worked over 9 hour
these brakes can be split into 15 mins intrvals
you must have 30 min brake if you work more the 6 hours but less than 9 hours
and if you work over 9 hours you must take another 15 mins brake
if the worker took a brake at 11.45 am and whent back to work at 12.30 he would have satisfied is WTD
if the worker took a brake of 15 mins at 11.00am and then at 1.00pm he took a brake of 15 mins then oneof 15 min at 3.00pm he would have satisfied the WTD
if the worker took a brake of 15 mins at 1.00pm and another at 315.pm and another one at 4.00pm then he as not setisfied the WTD cos he did not take 30 in the first nine hours

the bases of these qustions let say the shift was 6 am till 6 pm and no driving was done

this is what i i am trying to say

del

delboytwo:
yes it does if you work 6 without a brake you must take 30 mins before 9 hours

No, nowhere does it say that in the regulations.

delboytwo:
it is in the reg 30min must be taken between 6 and 9 hours of work

Again, no it isn’t. Please show me where it says that. Hint The bits you have quoted so far, but don’t appear to be actually reading, do not say that

delboytwo:
and if you work over nine hours you must take another 15 mins it does not say how long your job or shift is

Er, yes it clearly does say how long your working time must be for how much break you need. It says so in the bits you are quoting

delboytwo:
this is from gv262

**- Breaks:** **— Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.** **— If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by** **a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.** **— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break** **or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.** **— Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.**- Rest: the Regulations are the same as the EU or AETR drivers’ hours rules. - Record keeping: records need to be kept for two years after the period in question.

Nowhere there does it say a break to bring the total up top 30 minutes must be taken between 6 and 9 hours if your working time will be more than 9 hours. You have highlighted a bit in red but seem to be ignoring the important and extremely relevant bit just before it. As I posted a earlier, but you don’t appear to have read.

]if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,

You need to pay particular attention to the two words in red and realise that if your working time does not total between 6 and 9 hours then that part of the regulations does not apply, so you need to see what applies to working time of less than 6 or more than 9 hours.

delboytwo:
so going on this you must take a brake before 6 hours of work IE 15 min

Correct, no argument there

delboytwo:
and then take another brake before the 9 hour as passed in total 30 mins

Only if your working time will not exceed 9 hours for the shift.

delboytwo:
this is my way

a driver dos muti drop work and in is day he works 11 hours but he never does more than 4 hours driving so under EU driver regs he does not need a tacho brake but under the WTD he will have to show a brake of 45 mins

Correct, a break or two or three breaks totalling 45 minutes

delboytwo:
30 min within the frist nine hours of work and the other 15 mins brake after 9 hours

No, for a working time of 11 hours he only needs a break, minimum 15 minutes, before exceeding 6 hours and the remainder before the end of his shift. Once again nowhere in the regulations does it say a driver working more than 9 hours must show break or breaks totalling 30 minutes before the 9 hour mark. His only break requirements for the WTD are to have at least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours and to show 45 minutes in total for the shift.

delboytwo:
this is what i am trying to get across

But what you are trying to get across isn’t correct. Re-read Section 7 of the rules, paying particular attention to words such as “if” and “total”, and look at Section 7 (2) and 7 (3) as separate requirements applying to different amounts of working time and you should see where you are going wrong. You are reading the requirements for a shift where working time is between 6 and 9 hours, Section 7 (2) and applying them to a shift where working time is more than 9 hours. Section 7 (2) doesn’t apply to working time of more than 9 hours, Section 7 (3) comes into play past the 9 hour mark.

Look at it this way. You surely must agree you wouldn’t apply the requirements of Section 7 (3), 45 minutes break in total, to a shift with working time of between 6 and 9 hours, so why are you applying Section 7 (2) to a shift with more than 9 hours working time?

delboytwo:

Coffeeholic:
Just to add Del, you don’t seem to be reading what you are writing, look at the first bit below and read it carefully

delboytwo:
if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,

i know that its if or when

So if you knwo it is if and when why are you then saying must take a beak between 6 and 9 hours?

delboytwo:
but under tachgraph example this is what my post are about the way in is example
the worker worked 12 hours and only took 15 mins brake that what my post are about

Which isn’t a problem. In tachographs example the worker took 15 minutes at 6 hours and could then work until 18:15, at which point he has clocked 12 hours work, before he required another break. Tachograph did not say the shift was ending then, only that a break would be required then. He could take 30 minutes at 18:15 and do another 2 hurs 15 minutes work and start a rest period. That complies with the WTD. There is nothing in the WTD which prevents you clocking up 12 hours working time with only a 15 minute break. Not a desirable scenario but it is legal. You of course require another break and a bit more working time before the end of the shift.

delboytwo:

the bases of these qustions let say the shift was 6 am till 6 pm and no driving was done

this is what i i am trying to say

del

You are doing what I used to do which is to mix up 2 different rules. :blush: :blush:

There is EITHER the 6 to 9 hour rule OR the over 9 hour rule for the shift that is done.

Both rules are not done together.

The only rule that applies to BOTH is the 6 hour max rule in which a 15 min break must be taken

ROG:
You are doing what I used to do which is to mix up 2 different rules. :blush: :blush:

There is EITHER the 6 to 9 hour rule OR the over 9 hour rule for the shift that is done.

Both rules are not done together.

The only rule that applies to BOTH is the 6 hour max rule in which a 15 min break must be taken

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Has somebody smacked you on the side of the head ROG? You suddenly seem to have seen the light. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

i know that its if or when

So if you knwo it is if and when why are you then saying must take a beak between 6 and 9 hours?

delboytwo:
but under tachgraph example this is what my post are about the way in is example

Which isn’t a problem. In tachographs example the worker took 15 minutes at 6 hours and could then work until 18:15, at which point he has clocked 12 hours work, before he required another break. Tachograph did not say the shift was ending then, only that a break would be required then. He could take 30 minutes at 18:15 and do another 2 hurs 15 minutes work and start a rest period. That complies with the WTD. There is nothing in the WTD which prevents you clocking up 12 hours working time with only a 15 minute break. Not a desirable scenario but it is legal. You of course require another break and a bit more working time before the end of the shift.

if you work over nine hours in a day you must take a WTD brake of 45 Min’s so if you look at the example he worked 12 hours and there for must show 45 min of brake for that shift and he only took 15 Min’s brake in total

i am reading the reg s right you are presuming that if you take a brake at 12.00 till 12.15 and no more required as you met the 6 hour part but it does say
total hours worked just cos you took a brake at 12.00 for 15 min does not mean you can start the 6 hour rule again you are working on the same day so you need a brake before the 9 hours are up of 15 Min’s and you need another 15 Min’s from 3.00 as you do not finish work till 18.15 which in total is 45 Min’s

del

Hells teeth Del, you’re hard work. I though my avatar was made for ROG but I am beginning to think it’s you. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

delboytwo:

No, only if your working time for the shift will be between 6 and 9 hours.

delboytwo:

Yes

delboytwo:

Yes

delboytwo:

Yes

delboytwo:

Yes,but only in as far as you need 15 minutes more break than for working time of 6 - 9 hours. Depending on what breaks you took before reaching 9 hours working time then more than 15 minutes may be required.

delboytwo:
if the worker took a brake at 11.45 am and whent back to work at 12.30 he would have satisfied is WTD

Yes, based on you shift example of 06:00 - 18:00

delboytwo:
if the worker took a brake of 15 mins at 11.00am and then at 1.00pm he took a brake of 15 mins then oneof 15 min at 3.00pm he would have satisfied the WTD

Yes, again based on a shift of 06:00 - 18:00

delboytwo:
if the worker took a brake of 15 mins at 1.00pm and another at 315.pm and another one at 4.00pm then he as not setisfied the WTD cos he did not take 30 in the first nine hours

Not based on your shift of 06:00 - 18:00. Unless an hour of POA is involved he has done 7 hours work before his first break. Regardless of that, he doesn’t have to take 30 minutes before 9 hours working time if his working time will be more than 9 hours, he only has to take a minimum of 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours.

delboytwo:

Noted and taken into consideration when answering your questions.

BUT !!!
IF YOU DO A 15 MIN BREAK AND GET TO 4.5HRS DRIVING YOU WILL NEED A SECOND BREAK OF 30 TO DO YOUR 45MINS TACHO REGS :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OH AINT LAW FOR TRANSPORT GREAT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

delboytwo:
if you work over nine hours in a day you must take a WTD brake of 45 Min’s so if you look at the example he worked 12 hours and there for must show 45 min of brake for that shift and he only took 15 Min’s brake in total

Where does tachograph say he only took 15 minutes in total, he is saying the driver must take another break at 18:15. He could take 30 minutes at 18:15, work another hour and go home at which point he will show the required 45 minutes total break time for the shift. Tachograph didn’t go into details of when the shift ended, he only pointed out the latest time he would legally be required to take the next part of his required break.

delboytwo:
i am reading the reg s right

You really are not, you are missing some fundamental points

delboytwo:
you are presuming that if you take a brake at 12.00 till 12.15 and no more required as you met the 6 hour part

I am not presuming that and have not said that, and neither did tachograph. More break will be required but how much and when depends on the amount of working time in the shift. At the minimum it will be another 15 minutes because he is obviously going to work more than 6 hours. Even if he took 30 or 45 minutes at 12:00 he could still be required to take more break depending on how much more working time he does in the day

delboytwo:
but it does say total hours worked

No it doesn’t, it never mentions total hours worked. It says working time and under the WTD those are two different things. That is an important point and one I think you are missing

delboytwo:
just cos you took a brake at 12.00 for 15 min does not mean you can start the 6 hour rule again

Provided you took at least 15 minutes that is exactly what you do.

delboytwo:
you are working on the same day so you need a brake before the 9 hours are up of 15 Min’s

Again I ask you to point out where in the regulations it states that, because so far you haven’t done that.

delboytwo:
and you need another 15 Min’s from 3.00 as you do not finish work till 18.15 which in total is 45 Min’s

Assuming no POA is taken you will require another 30 minutes of break between 12:15 and the end of the shift but the latest that break can start will be 17:44. That leaves 1 minute of work before going home and meets the requirement that the break cannot be taken at the end of the shift.

You are still going wrong because you are applying the criteria for two different working time totals to a working time of more than 9 hours. You don’t do that, you apply the one that is relevant to the amount of working time.

Here’s a question for you Del.

06:00, start work and work with no POA until 12:00

12:00 - 12:45. break

12:45 - 19:00, work with no POA

19:00, clock off.

Have the requirements of the WTD been met for that shift?

Note total driving between 06:00 and 12:00 was 4 hours and between 12:45 and 19:00 it was 4 hours 20 minutes so tacho break requirements have been met.

Hells teeth Del, you’re hard work. I though my avatar was made for ROG but I am beginning to think it’s you.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
can you look at this and you may know were i am comeing from

Working time: Consultation on the Road Transport Directive (2002/15/EC)

Examples of Mixed Working:

1. ½ hour other work + 4½ hour driving triggers a 45 minute break under EU drivers hours rules. Another 4½ hours driving triggers another 45 minute break under EU drivers hours rules. No breaks taken under the RTD. Daily break time = 90 minutes

2. 4 hours other work + 2 hours driving triggers a break (30 minutes) under RTD. Another 3 hours work (9 hours in total) and another 15 minute break is needed under the RTD. Total breaks = 45 minutes

3. Three hours driving + 2 hours other work + 1 hour driving will trigger 30 minute break under the RTD. Another ½ of driving, requiring another 15 minute break under the EU drivers rules. No further breaks are required. Daily break time = 45 minutes

4. 3 hours driving + 2 hours availability + 3 hour other work triggers the 30 minute break requirement under the RTD. Another 1½ hours driving triggers the remaining 15 minutes under EU drivers’ hours rules. No further breaks are required. Daily break = 45 minutes. (If all the conditions are met, the a driver could take his mandatory break during the PoA)

you may see want i am trying to say hopefuly

del

yes he has

delboytwo:

Hells teeth Del, you’re hard work. I though my avatar was made for ROG but I am beginning to think it’s you.

That is a very old document you are quoting from and it is only a consultation document before things were finalised so basing your argument on that document is only going to lead you in the wrong direction. Examples 2, 3 and 4 are incorrect where they state 30 minutes of break are required under the RTD, conformation in the email posted by nick2008 on THIS THREAD

You want THIS DOCUMENT. THIS may also help.

delboytwo:

Del, at no point have I been confused about what you are trying to say, I know exactly what you have been getting at since your first post, the only problem is you are wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

sorry coffee thought we had some in our place that were bad :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

delboytwo:

yes he has

No he hasn’t, and your answer makes it a little clearer as to why you are going wrong. He worked for a total of 6 hours and 15 minutes between 12:45 and 19:00 and under the WTD you cannot work more than 6 hours without a break. That is why you start the 6 hour clock counting again after you take your first WTD break, regardless of how much break you take, and why it is all about the 6 hour points and total working time rather than the 9 hour point…

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

That is a very old document you are quoting from and it is only a consultation document before things were finalised so basing your argument on that document is only going to lead you in the wrong direction. Examples 2, 3 and 4 are incorrect where they state 30 minutes of break are required under the RTD, conformation in the email posted by nick2008 on THIS THREAD

You want THIS DOCUMENT. THIS may also help.

delboytwo:

Del, at no point have I been confused about what you are trying to say, I know exactly what you have been getting at since your first post, the only problem is you are wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

just had alook at that

Examples of Breaks [3]:

1. ½ hour other work + 4½ hour driving triggers a 45 minute break under European drivers’ hours rules. Another 4½ hours driving triggers another 45 minute break under European drivers’ hours rules. 9½ hours of working under the Regulations would normally require 45 minutes break, but this has already been covered by the breaks taken under the European drivers’ hours rules. Total break time = 90 minutes.

½ hr other work 4 ½ hours driving ¾ hour break 4 ½ hours driving ¾ hour break 1 hr other work

1. 4 hours other work + 2 hours driving triggers a break (30 minutes in this example) under the Regulations. Another 3 hours work (9 hours in total) and another 15 minute break is needed under the Regulations. There is no requirement to take any breaks under the European drivers’ hours rules as total driving time has not reached 4 ½ hours. Total daily break time = 45 minutes.

4 hours other work 2 hours driving ½ hour break 3 hours other work ¼ hour break 1 hour other work

1. 3 hours driving + 2 hours other work + 1 hour driving will trigger a break (30 minutes in this example) under the Regulations. Another ½ hour of driving = 4½ hours driving, requiring another 30 minute break under the European drivers’ hours rules. This is because the second half of a split break taken under the European drivers’ hours rules (which always takes precedent) must be at least 30 minutes long. Daily break time = 60 minutes.

3 hours driving 2 hours other work 1 hr driving ½ hr break ½ hr driving ½ hr break 3 hours driving

1. 3 hours driving + 2 hours period of availability + 3 hour other work triggers a break requirement under the Regulations (30 minutes in this example). Another 1½ hours of driving = 4½ hours driving, requiring a 30 minute break under the European drivers’ hours rules. Again, this is because the second half of a split break taken under the European drivers’ hours rules (which always takes precedent) must be at least 30 minutes long. Daily break = 60 minutes. NB If all the conditions for a break are met, then a driver could take his mandatory break during the PoA.

3 hours driving 2 hours POA 3 hours other work ½ hr break 1 ½ hours driving ½ hr break 2 hrs driving

1. The examples below shows two mobile workers A and B both working for 9 hours which means that their working time must be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling 30 minutes. The first example complies with the break requirements under the Regulations, the second does not

.Mobile worker A

6 hours other work ¼ hr break 2 hours other work ¼ hr break 1 hour other work End of shift

6 hours consecutive other work triggers the break requirement under the Regulations. A break of at least 15 minutes must be taken. Mobile worker A then does another 2 hours other work, takes a break for 15 minutes and then completes another hour of other work before ending their shift. This complies with the Regulations as their working time is interrupted by breaks totalling 30 minutes.

Mobile worker B

6 hours other work ¼ hr break 3 hours other work ¼ hr break - this is not legal the second break cannot be taken at the end of the shift

6 hours consecutive other work triggers the break requirement under the Regulations. A break of at least 15 minutes must be taken. Mobile worker B then does another 3 hours other work before taking his second 15 minute break at the end of their shift. This does not comply with the Regulations as their working time has not been interrupted by breaks totalling 30 minute. It has only been interrupted by a break of 15 minutes.

If the mobile workers were to work longer than 9 hours than total breaks for the day would be 45 minutes.

this is what i mean

nick2008:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing:
sorry coffee thought we had some in our place that were bad :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Best Xmas I’ve had for years.