WTD - 6 hour rule

Hi everyone

Reading another topic earlier this week has made me slightly confused. I was always under the impression and told by a previous employer that to wipe the slate clean with regards to working 6 hours a minimum of 30mins break is required. Have I misread the other post or been told incorrect?
As I read the other post, only a minimum of 15mins break is required, could someone please clarify? Many thanks

James7716:
Reading another topic earlier this week has made me slightly confused. I was always under the impression and told by a previous employer that to wipe the slate clean with regards to working 6 hours a minimum of 30mins break is required. Have I misread the other post or been told incorrect?
As I read the other post, only a minimum of 15mins break is required, could someone please clarify? Many thanks

For the 6 hour rule you should start a break of no less than 15 minutes before going over 6 hours working time.

The regulations don’t stipulate a break length for the 6 hour rule so it’s assumed to be the shortest break that can be counted for the working time regulations, which is 15 minutes.

It seems some companies require drivers to have a 30 minute break but that’s not the law.

If your total working time is between 6 and 9 hours you’re required to have a total of 30 minutes break/breaks.

If your total working time is over 9 hours you’re required to have a total of 45 minutes break/breaks.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141623&p=2230335#p2230335

^^ wot he said, though some companies require 30 minute breaks, whilst not a legal requirement their rules apply.

That’s great, and clears things up, thanks for your help

James7716:
Hi everyone

It’s all covered in depth in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99021

Never worried about that and never will! Lives too short!

I am retired now so breaks are not a problem BUT even when I was working, 6 hrs at work was a minimum 30 min break,driving or not.
No job is worth minimising to 15 mins either to save time or because you had a sandwich whilst driving along,what I call “meal on wheels”

lolipop:
I am retired now so breaks are not a problem BUT even when I was working, 6 hrs at work was a minimum 30 min break,driving or not.
No job is worth minimising to 15 mins either to save time or because you had a sandwich whilst driving along,what I call “meal on wheels”

I think that the problem is with drivers who do a lot of ‘other work’. Say you drive two hours and then work in a warehouse all day, followed by a two hour drive home. Of course you stopped for lunch, but you forgot to go and switch the tacho over, so you get an infringement.

I guess it must be company thing with the 30 mins at the 6 hr point as it only has to be 15 mins witch should reset the 6hr clock

Start at 7am
15min break at 1000
30min break at 1330
Finish at 1700

I take it thats legal?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
Start at 7am
15min break at 1000
30min break at 1330
Finish at 1700

I take it thats legal?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you don’t exceed 4.5 hours driving between 7am and 1.30pm, yes.

Santa:

lolipop:

I think that the problem is with drivers who do a lot of ‘other work’. Say you drive two hours and then work in a warehouse all day, followed by a two hour drive home. Of course you stopped for lunch, but you forgot to go and switch the tacho over, so you get an infringement.

True. The vast majority of “over 6 hour” infringements I’ve accrued have been on the second set of six; all too easy to forget if you’re back in the yard and then get delayed waiting to refuel or reload, and it doesn’t occur to you that you need another break because you know you’re off home in a short while.