WTD 15 hour shift

if i was to start work at 7am and finish at 10pm(15 hours) taking 45mins break at 12:30 would that cover my work time directive breaks all the way til 10pm assuming i havent gone over 4.5 hours driving time? or would i need a further 15min break no later than 2:59pm and a further 15mins at 6:59pm?

im not 100% ont his but i would take the 2 15 min breaks aswell as the 45 just to be on the safe side.

WTD is made up of accumilated driving time & working time not rest, POA or breaks.

INFO SOURCE

5.4 Breaks

The Regulations require that:

mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break,

if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,

if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes,

breaks should be of at least 15 minutes duration.

In the interest of safety, and as a matter of good practice, it is strongly recommended that breaks should be distributed evenly throughout the day.

If you have a 45 ending at 13h15 and then work until 22h00 without any further breaks then you’ll be working 8h45 without taking a break which isn’t legal. You would need to take a 15min break somewhere in the middle of that 8h45 stretch to make it legal. This would need to start sometime between 15h45 and 19h15 to ensure neither half was over 6h.

HTH,
Paul.

im still a little confused(sorry :blush: ) forgetting driving hours id basicly need a 15 min break between 7am-1pm then another 15mins before 4pm and another 15 before 7pm then work a further 3 hours til end of shift at 10pm?

If you’re working 15h but not doing more than 4.5h of driving over the whole shift then to satisfy the WTD you’re going to need to take a minumum of 45mins of break over the shift timed so that at no point do you work more than 6h without a break. For example, if your shift is 7am-10pm then you could, for example, take 15min at noon and then 30min at 5pm. That would mean your 15h shift is broken into three working periods of 5h, 4h45 and 4h30, none of which are over 6h so you’re sorted.

Paul

Trickie:
if i was to start work at 7am and finish at 10pm(15 hours) taking 45mins break at 12:30 would that cover my work time directive breaks all the way til 10pm assuming i havent gone over 4.5 hours driving time? or would i need a further 15min break no later than 2:59pm and a further 15mins at 6:59pm?

I’ll have a go at this but I’m NOT the expert
I’m sure either tachograph, coffeeholic or geebee45, who are the site GURUs on this, will be along soon to give you the definitive answer :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes,

Taking the 45 mins at 1230 would cover the above requirement.

mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break,

Working from 1315 to 2200 without a break does not meet the above requirement.
To meet this requirement you would need a 15 min break at or before 1915.

Again - I’m NOT the expert

Trickie:
im still a little confused(sorry :blush: ) forgetting driving hours id basicly need a 15 min break between 7am-1pm

Correct, by 13:00 latest. Unless you had taken any POA during that time when it would be later before the break is required. POA does not count toward the 6 hours.

Trickie:
then another 15mins before 4pm

No, it would depend when you took the first 15 minutes as to when you require the next break. You don’t have to take a second break before 9 hours of work, only when you accumulate another 6 hours of work following the first break or before the end of your shift, whichever comes first.

Trickie:
and another 15 before 7pm

Again it would depend when you took the first and/or second part(s) of your break. You don’t necessarily need to take it before the 12 hour point.

The only things to remember is no more than 6 hours without a break and you require breaks totalling 30 minutes for work of 9 hours or less and 45 minutes for work of more than 9 hours.

Was my info ok coffee or did I mess up - AGAIN :exclamation: