WS Transport Flats

Hi all I am hoping you can help me out,

I’ve been for a driving assessment for WS and passed I’ve been offered flats and tramping which is good as it’s flats are something I would like to do.

The only thing that’s really setting me back is tramping I’m not sure if it’s for me as I’ve never done it before and I do enjoy going home.

I was just wondering really if any one was in the same situation and if anybody has worked for WS just to give me a insight as it would be really appreciated as I am wondering if it’s the right decision as I don’t want to waste there time on me.

I know only I can decide but I’m not sure what’s best to do

Thank you

Doesn’t matter who you do it for really, tramping is tramping and you’ll be out for most or all of the week.

Nothing wrong with that if that’s what you want to do and I did it for 30+ years myself but if you want to get home every day then I’m thinking it’s not for you.

One big benefit of tramping on flats was you didn’t wake up in the morning to find the curtains cut / or load tampered with , basically park where you like
As for ws if my memory serves me right they’ve depots / parking at Runcorn / crick / Dagenham & I’d often see them parked at Appleton / rugby( stobart depots ) so you’ll not be short of parking option I’d of thought
I nighted out at there depot at Runcorn a few times , fine.

No insight into WS, but as Harry says, if you like being home every night, tramping probably isn’t for you. I did it for 30 odd years and enjoyed it, but it suited me and my other half’s lifestyle.

Probably the most important person to have the discussion with is wife/partner (if you have one) they are the ones going to be home alone every night.
It worked well for us as my missus has a lot going on weekday evenings, Karate twice a week, an online game night etc. and I wasn’t finishing the day job til half 9-10 so didn’t make much odds anyway, we did make sure to sit down and have dinner together every Wednesday night over zoom and actually ended up talking more rather than just slobbing out on the sofa.

I quite enjoyed it after I realised its not some kind of endurance test, screeching into a layby on 14hr59 shift and 9hr59 drive. There’s some decent Facebook groups for HGV parking suggestions, industrial estates, truckstops and the like. I much preferred an industrial estate fairly close to town for a pub dinner and a wander. Google maps on satellite gives a good idea.

You never know until you try and to be fair, if you don’t try you will always wonder what if? Will you be leaving current employer on good terms? Would there be a position for you in 3-6months if tramping doesn’t work out? would you want to go back? is there plenty of employment around your way to go back to days if needed? all questions you need to ask yourself.

There was a guy on YouTube Deady2012 who worked for them and posted videos of the kind of work he did.
Might be worth a look.

bluesfan1996:
I was just wondering really if any one was in the same situation and if anybody has worked for WS just to give me a insight as it would be really appreciated as I am wondering if it’s the right decision as I don’t want to waste there time on me.

I know only I can decide but I’m not sure what’s best to do

Thank you

Why would you worry about wasting their time? They are a corporate monster that wouldn’t care about yours.

Take the job and the training and see how you go on and if you don’t like it on you go to pastures new with a little more experience under your belt knowing that you want day work.

Dunky123:
There was a guy on YouTube Deady2012 who worked for them and posted videos of the kind of work he did.
Might be worth a look.

I think he only worked for them for about 3 weeks before leaving Haulage all together after about a year and a half so possibly not the best source.

He also didn’t get on with tramping if I remember rightly.

Wittering Trucker is probably a better one to watch, Deadys old man I think? lasted there a little longer… :laughing:

Fuzrat:
Wittering Trucker is probably a better one to watch, Deadys old man I think? ol:

From the looks of the 2 of them, there’s no doubt! [emoji23]

If your not working give it a go you may like it. There a good possibility you may not be away all week. I also know who a new partner they have and WS will have some interesting and varied work coming there way.

I shipped out of Newhaven last night and whilst waiting to load, two WS came in with flat trailers. Put two Scania tractor units on each and away.
Apart from loading in a storm, nice and easy work.