Wrocław (PL) - Oostende (BE)

I just want to rid out of driving the same route all the time. (usually I am going home via Antwerp - Venlo - Hannover - Magdeburg - Berlin - that way:
maps.google.pl/maps?f=d&source=s … 128418&z=6)

Google says, that going along E40 (that way maps.google.pl/maps?f=d&source=s … &z=6&via=1 )is about 15 minutes longer, but Google don’t know yet, that A4 in Poland is completed rigt to the border in Goerlitz/Zgorzelec, so you no longer have to go this national road via BolesÅ‚awiec… Therefore it might be even faster.

Going that way plenty of motorways are two lines only, and I have to go on the Koln and Brussels by-passes… But from the other hands, I am going through much nicer areas, so I hope to have some nicer wievs… And also I don’t have to go via the Ruhr area and Berliner Ring…

Is that route any good? What are pros and cons?

That is a nice route if the weather stays okay if it snows
then you are in the proverbial,as that route is worse for
the snow as your other route, about 5-7 years ago we were doing gas
from Oberhausen to Leuna an dit was a job where we swopped drivers half way and the other driver went into the gastatte and waited in bed until the driver returned, when it snowed it closed the roads for all traffic not only ADR–
-HAZ ; CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST IF IT LOOKS GOOD THEN YES BUT IF IN DOUBT TAKE THE OTHER ROUTE is my view,in winter time,.,

Thanks.

I have to ask: are there some traffic problems? Queues at junctions, or near the cities? I will be driving there at night for 70%, but I still want to consider daily driving to stop and see something on the way…

Don’t know about those specific routes, but there seem to be road works everywhere in Germany at the mo. Maybe they will try to clear them for the holidays, who knows. Have a safe drive and drink a Zywiec or two for me!

traffic jams will , or may occur but that is jsut luck of the draw when driving at night you should be okay and not have that much problems unless there is a accident

You can also try Antwerpen-Eindhoven-Dortmund-Kassel-Leipzig-Dresden.
I did it last year and it was OK. Left Oostende 4-5pm, arrived at Kassel ~10 or11 iirc, slept at the motel at the jct of A7 and A44 (there are more on the outskirt of city). Antwerpen was fairly busy, then there were plenty of Polish people travelling home for Christmas but it cleared in Duisburg area (perhaps most took the A2). Dortmund city centre did not cause any delay as it was relatively late in the evening and little traffic.
Left Kassel in the morning (Sunday I think), the A38 for Leipzig was absolutely deserted, we met a car once in 15min or so, falcons sat on railings and foxes ran across the motorway - and I am not joking or exaggerating!
There’s (or there was) a missing bit of the motorway, before Nordhausen, but again min delay as it was very quiet. Besides that, nice rolling countryside.
The traffic became “normal German” on the A4 before Dresden but we soon left it for A17 for CZ.

Think you find its not finished STILL ;;
not nice when the snow comes thank you

Harry Monk:
drink a Zywiec or two for me!

Can it be Okocim? It’s much better…

HomoFaber:
You can also try Antwerpen-Eindhoven-Dortmund-Kassel-Leipzig-Dresden.
I did it last year and it was OK. Left Oostende 4-5pm, arrived at Kassel ~10 or11 iirc, slept at the motel at the jct of A7 and A44 (there are more on the outskirt of city). Antwerpen was fairly busy, then there were plenty of Polish people travelling home for Christmas but it cleared in Duisburg area (perhaps most took the A2). Dortmund city centre did not cause any delay as it was relatively late in the evening and little traffic.
Left Kassel in the morning (Sunday I think), the A38 for Leipzig was absolutely deserted, we met a car once in 15min or so, falcons sat on railings and foxes ran across the motorway - and I am not joking or exaggerating!
There’s (or there was) a missing bit of the motorway, before Nordhausen, but again min delay as it was very quiet. Besides that, nice rolling countryside.
The traffic became “normal German” on the A4 before Dresden but we soon left it for A17 for CZ.

Hm…

Will try the other one, as I don’t want to be stucked on that missing part of the motorway and become late for ferry…

But that is also useful, thanks!

brit pete:
Think you find its not finished STILL ;;
not nice when the snow comes thank you

I think than I will try the other route. Thanks for all info.

Orys, im a Tyskie or Lech man myself!! i will be driving to my girlfriends town just past szczecin on the 21st Dec, for the 5th
year on the run!! love the drive there mate, and my Gf mums home cooking whwen we arrive!! :smiley:
any way, “Wesolych swiant” my friend! have a safe journey!!! :smiley:

Wayne.

Orys, im a Tyskie or Lech man myself!! i will be driving to my girlfriends town just past szczecin on the 21st Dec, for the 5th
year on the run!! love the drive there mate, and my Gf mums home cooking whwen we arrive!! :smiley:
any way, “Wesolych swiant” my friend! have a safe journey!!! :smiley:

Wayne.

kenno78:
“Wesolych swiant” my friend! have a safe journey!!! :smiley:

Same to you, mate. And also twice :wink:

Ok first off i’m new to this website.
I am going to Wroclaw for the first time next week and i am hoping to get ant advice anyone can offer me. Such as road tolls/taxes local driving laws and so on.
I will be going via Berlin and will be tipping at midday on Thursday. As i will be starting just outside Berlin on Thursday morning, is it reasonable to be able to get back to Berlin on thursday night. My satnav estimates about 4hr each way, although i have not got the delivery address as yet.
I’m really just trying to get a few tips for my first trip.

thanks in advance for any help offered

go and read the sticky s at the top of this forum
and read also the links for poland then come back
and tell us where you are going by the way winter
is here snow chains and tyres are a must,as for your
sat nav that thing is not driving on the crapy roads
so it may just take a bit longer also unloading ■■?

brit pete:
go and read the sticky s at the top of this forum
and read also the links for poland then come back
and tell us where you are going by the way winter
is here snow chains and tyres are a must,as for your
sat nav that thing is not driving on the crapy roads
so it may just take a bit longer also unloading ■■?

Yeah, my sticky should be able to help you. If not, keep asking.

Brit Pete: off course the sat navs works in Poland. You need only to buy one with a good coverage of this area, and most of Western-European ones have poor to none coverage of Eastern Europe. If you neeed GPS map of Poland, the Polish websites recomends Automapa.

@orys yes I know they work, however the roads
are no way as good as those in Germany and the
four hours mentioned can easily turn out
to take longer and even you will agree to that ,
and that is what I stated.

@ Brit Pete: Yes, but thanks to Adolf Hitler, you have motorway (or motorway-like product :stuck_out_tongue:) all the way down from Berlin to Wrocław. So only Wrocław becames the problem. But most of the industrial sites and warehouses are located on the south, just off the Motoway so it should NOT be a problem.

@Doty2009: If you are going somewhere into WrocÅ‚aw itself, please contact me as they are some measurments to limit amount of lorries in the town in place. (wrocÅ‚aw has 16 kms of Odra river within it’s borders and apart of one, all bridges are in the stretch of about 1500m in the very town centre… The by-pass will be not ready until 2012… So most of the City is closed for lorries over 9tons and they are cameras at all entrances to the city and if you are entering it, you have to be able to show them paperwork stating that you are delivering there. Also there is plenty of low-bridges in the town, but I am from this town and I know it to a smallest bit, so if you give me the adress to the place you are delivering, I can give you the bestest route to get there :wink:

But, remember to do not take with you your family crystal glass collection or nothing as fragile, as there is still about 40 kms of the motorway made in 1930s and never upgraded and this is not too pleasant experience, as the concrete plates were calculated for the times, when the tank was 9 tons only…:

This is the motorway when it’s worth to drive British style, on the left, as left lane is less damaged… But remember to return to the right when someone will approach you from the back :wink: And, as you can hear from the movie: forget about listening to your CDs at this stretch of the road. NO CD player has as big memory buffor to be able to keep up with the vibration :slight_smile:

thanks for your help everyone, as i said i’m new to the site so i’m still to work out where and what everything is
What is the sticky you talk about?
I have upgraded my satnav to include eastern europe so i’m hoping it will sort me out. My boss should be giving me address a bit later on today, so i’ll be able to tell you where i’m going.
As for the snow chains, will i really need them? I’ve never had to use chains before and i don’t my boss is aware of this need for the chains.
I’ll get the address and check in a bit later.
Thanks again for everyones help.

Harry Monk:
Don’t know about those specific routes, but there seem to be road works everywhere in Germany at the mo. Maybe they will try to clear them for the holidays, who knows. Have a safe drive and drink a Zywiec or two for me!

Zywiec every time for me, I`m nursing a “thick head” this morning, due to above average comsumption last night
:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Polish beer / Polish women :laughing:

Monika looked very nice yesterday @ Tesco Fradley, anyone else see here yesterday ■■? ermmmmmmm VERY nice :sunglasses: