Writing on tacho

One firm i goto want you to draw a line on front of disc at start and end of shift and write which is start and end etc. Is this going to be illegal soon ,i think i read somewhere it will be.

I thought it was illegal now as you are only allowed to write in the centre field and on the reverse but maybe thats just in europe and not here klunk

It’s not illegal, and it isn’t actually illegal in Europe but they will take a dim view of it over there and try to fine you.

From the guide to driver’s hours on the DfT site, FAQ 35 deals with this issue and has the following.

35 WHERE SHOULD MANUAL ENTRIES BE MADE?
When using a vehicle equipped with an analogue tachograph, the sheets or charts normally provide a space to make manual entries. This is usually on the reverse side, but they can be made anywhere on the chart provided they are clear and do not obliterate other recordings.

As regards the new regulations they cover the subject of marking on charts in Article 5, section 5

1. A driver shall record as other work any time spent as described in Article 4(e) as well as any time spent driving a vehicle used for commercial operations not falling within the scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods of availability, as defined in Article 15(3)(c) of Regulation (EEC) No 3821/85, since his last daily or weekly rest period. This record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet, a printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording equipment.

Note they just say entered manually on a record sheet, they don’t specify where hand written markings must be made.