wreckers

We had a few ‘wreckers’ (I prefer ‘breakdown lorries’ myself!) when I worked for the BMC dealership. No pics of them of course but I have posted pics of the type of vehicle.

The first one was a Morris-Commercial Quad that I road in as mate a few times. Only a four cylinder sidevalve but it pulled well, although occasionally crawler had to be reached for rapidly! When we were towing a loaded BMC Laird full of animal skins up the steep hill from Bisham to Maidenhead Thicket it had to be grapped rapidly, the Laird had lost all power but when we got it back found that a plastic bag had been sucked over the air cleaner inlet, it was fine when that was removed! :blush: It had a Harvey Frost crane and a solid tyred ‘ambulance’ that the tyres came off of if they got too warm. :laughing: The passenger seat was fastened to the petrol tank, and a pair of SU electric pumps were over the passengers feet. A fire bomb potentially! :open_mouth: George Ackerman was the regular driver until he retired, Graham Feltham took over then. George had a ‘reputation’ as one poor victim found out! He broke down near Basingstoke late one afternoon and George reluctantly went to drag him in. Reading FC were at home that evening, and George never missed a match if he could help it. The poor chap arrived back at the garage almost white with fright, “I never want him towing me again” he said when he could finally speak! :laughing:

NMP

Next came a Morris-Commercial NVS, ex AFS fire tender with ‘gatefold doors’ in the centre of the cab. A six cylinder overhead valve in this one, it was sluggish up to about twenty mph and then it coughed and a sheet of flame camoe out of the bonnet and it went like a scalded cat then! No crane on this, strictly towing only.

Again NMP

Finally came my favourite, and one I drove a lot! Ex Army Morris-Commecial MRA with body removed and a crane bolted to the chassis. Six pot petrol again, and ‘interesting’ to drive in the wet! I hit a puddle in a dip in the road once and the fitter following me said it looked like a a duck struggling on ice wandering from side to side! :wink: Again NMP.

FEA69F36-8CDD-48BA-BA68-2705032A0443.jpeg.f36ccba813536688a80d856a7a7b8966.jpeg

Later we had an AEC Matador ex searchlight carrier with the strengthened axles but I never rode in that. We also had an Austin Gypsy for the smaller stuff.

Pete.

This belonged to Arnold Motors of East Peckham (near Paddock Wood). The lorry was a 19 ton unit originally belonging to Clarkes Transport & coal Merchants of Manor rd Erith, passing to A Pile & son of Dartford and then to Arnolds. As a wrecker it was fitted with a Harvey Frost crane but occasionally the towing ambulance had to be used. It stayed in use until 1980. Arnolds were Shelvoke & Drewry service agents although in the '50s they were listed as Foden and Gardner agents too.

Couple from Southampton

Nice

2BB0D7A6-897C-4523-A159-572BB30D7282.jpeg

D

2E48BC2A-0C7C-4325-B8C1-ADEAF790111B.jpeg

Couple

From Finland courtesy of Peter Schöler.
Oily

Farthing corner

A MAN that sounded like a gruntmobile :wink:

This rather handsome recovery vehicle turned up at a yard close to my home quite recently, It will undoubtably be familiar to many on this site, although this is the first time that I’ve ever seen it.

My understanding is that it is currently in the ownership of Paul Whittle, a used car dealer whose premises are situated on Manchester road at Ince, just a mile or two from Wigan town centre, and if my information is up to date, it is available to purchase for the sum of £10,500. No VAT.

It doesn’t look to be in bad nick to me , and providing everything is as it should be , the price doesn’t appear to be unreasonable, considering how little ten grand will buy these days.

For instance, my mate has just shelled out two and a half grand just to have his poxy 4x4 sorted out…Dipstick.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Eddie Heaton:
This rather handsome recovery vehicle turned up at a yard close to my home quite recently, It will undoubtably be familiar to many on this site, although this is the first time that I’ve ever seen it.

My understanding is that it is currently in the ownership of Paul Whittle, a used car dealer whose premises are situated on Manchester road at Ince, just a mile or two from Wigan town centre, and if my information is up to date, it is available to purchase for the sum of £10,500. No VAT.

It doesn’t look to be in bad nick to me , and providing everything is as it should be , the price doesn’t appear to be unreasonable, considering how little ten grand will buy these days.

For instance, my mate has just shelled out two and a half grand just to have his poxy 4x4 sorted out…Dipstick.

Thats a rare motor Eddie not sure how many were sold here ? Looks like possibly a blue Mack through the windscreen.
According to the website its part of a collection i wonder what else is in the collection ?

Just had a look at his website and he has some very unusual stuff on there. Click on showroom and then “view all” .

paulwhittlecarsales.co.uk

You’re perfectly correct Dean, that is a Mack that can be seen through the windscreen of the Volvo. A Mack from Southlands NZ no less.

I’ve taken a few shots of that beast as well and I’ll put them on here as soon as I can figure out which would be the most fitting thread…any suggestions mate ?

Just had a look at Whittle’s site Dean, and it appears he’s jacked the price of the Volvo up by two and a half grand now, which means that he may well have blown himself out of the water as far as I’m concerned.

And how anyone can arrive at a figure of eleven and a half grand for a Fiat flying ferret…, well, God only knows.

I realise that I’ve been out of touch with reality for quite some time now, but it would appear that I’m also well out of touch with second hand car prices, so I reckon I’ll just stick with my trusty old C15, until these bloody daft emissions regs force me to run it down to the knackers yard.

Bloody barmpot politicians. They won’t be happy until they have us all riding around on electric friggin’ bikes…that’s all excepting them of course.

Eddie Heaton:
Just had a look at Whittle’s site Dean, and it appears he’s jacked the price of the Volvo up by two and a half grand now, which means that he may well have blown himself out of the water as far as I’m concerned.

And how anyone can arrive at a figure of eleven and a half grand for a Fiat flying ferret…, well, God only knows.

I realise that I’ve been out of touch with reality for quite some time now, but it would appear that I’m also well out of touch with second hand car prices, so I reckon I’ll just stick with my trusty old C15, until these bloody daft emissions regs force me to run it down to the knackers yard.

Bloody barmpot politicians. They won’t be happy until they have us all riding around on electric friggin’ bikes…that’s all excepting them of course.

Yes i did notice the price was more. Mind you i dont suppose there are that many around and it looks pretty tidy for its age.Its a very
intresting website actually as he really does have some unusual stuff for sale,will have to keep an eye on it. Look forward to seeing the
Mack pics. :wink:

Eddie Heaton:

If you are serious about wanting an old Volvo Eddie,there is one same as in a scrap yard near me,needs restoring though.

David

Chinese 6

174E901F-8083-4D40-924A-E387CC1A88C4.jpeg

One for neversweat

7C5DB854-030D-4E03-88EF-802D4C4FC454.jpeg