wreckers

Who remembers this outfit, photo from Pinterest, Robert Rogers collection. Les.

d41c7b68ae75309395d63f8c78ff5ab8.jpg

lespullan:

I remember being towed into Abington after breaking down on the A74 just north of there. Instead of taking me in from the northern end he dragged me past the village, then did a hard left “u” turn at warp speed :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I had a 33ft trailer loaded sky high with 20ton of sisal for Greenock behind my dead Atki!!! 45 years later it’s still imprinted on my memory :confused: :confused: :confused: I thought it was going over and couldn’t do a thing about it.
I politely :laughing: :laughing: asked him wtf he was playing at, his reply was, och it’s easier than turning round in the yard, with an efin great grin on his face !! Regards Kev.

lespullan:

Millers,on the 74,remember them well,a SoM unit or trailer was usually in there for one thing or another during the winter months most nights,they had a reputation for reliability.

David

For about 3yrs I worked with Steve Vince at S V Engineering building Tilt Beds, Under lifts and heavy recovery equipment. We fell out in 1993 and I left but wonder if any of the “Wreckers” survive? Steve was an ex Boniface man so most of his stuff was indistinguishable from theirs - Oh and I turned down a job offer from them in 1998 - got a more local one. No regrets. Jim.

Wrecker recovery.
Oily

Recovery Richard 43033985100_6acb5b0ddc_rs k.jpg

Recovery Richard 42182928064_3a931d9e3drs _k.jpg

Recovery Richard 41129334780_6643ec3d4c_rs k.jpg

Recovery Len Rogers 5760980707_2bbb27d2f5 lr _o.jpg

Recovery 27886077460_8a5c3facf2_k.jpg

Moscow

image.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:
Mortons of Wooler Doing the Job, Regards Larry,

One of Morton’s earlier wreckers which was still being used when I was there, parked next to my old Borderer I drove from 79 till 82

89F29546-E96A-4D87-BFB7-A05B540C7BEA.png

Colin.Swain:

Lawrence Dunbar:

One of Morton’s earlier wreckers which was still being used when I was there, parked next to my old Borderer I drove from 79 till 82

Redpaths of Wooler Scammell: went on many recoveries with one of the fitters when started there at 15 to work in garage.

Colin.Swain:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Morton’s last recovery truck.

Colin.Swain:

Colin.Swain:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Colin.Swain:

Colin.Swain:

Colin.Swain:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Remember getting sent up to Glasgow one Friday night with my Atki unit to tow back the Albion which had broken down but I still managed to get back to Wooler for last orders for a pint.

Great pictures Colin Thanks for posting them,Regards Larry.

Bedford TM 6x4 taken on the Trans Pennine run, last one of the same motor NMP.

Colin.Swain:

Colin.Swain:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The unit that was the front half of Morton’s wrecker while the back half was from 8 legger ex Renners of Belford

0E2D7A27-D4BD-422A-BA97-B93BC850D458.png

Hi Colin, Great stuff, The trailer behind the Atki looks like the one we bought going off its curved edge headboard,We converted it to a Tri axle when we got our New Leyland Roadtrain to run at 38 T Gross, We could carry 26 tonne, It ended its days going to a farmer near Amble for internal use, My good friend Les Baston took it there, Regards Larry.

Not my picture, But a good example of Mortons, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Not my picture, But a good example of Mortons, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry; Good picture; I have been trying for years to get a photo of that unit in Vaux Breweries colours but nobody seems to have one,They were a daily sight coming through Wooler for years going up to Edinburgh and back stopping for break in Wooler at the Milk Bar cafe.if I remember rightly they ran AEC Mandators before the Atkinson’s then changed to Ford Transcontinentals. Colin.

Lawrence Dunbar:
1Not my picture, But a good example of Mortons, Regards Larry.

Colin.Swain:

Lawrence Dunbar:
1Not my picture, But a good example of Mortons, Regards Larry.

This picture was taken when first got unit; I was loaded with bricks from Throckley for Inverness, note in the back of cab I had a fold down bunk which was a length of plywood fixed to cab which did the job well.