wrecker

talking about recovery in my last post,have other drivers seen the old wrecker in a field between J25 and J24 northbound M5,was that particular vehicle in one of the truck magazines a few years ago as a working vehicle,if it was its a shame to see it in the state its in now,it would make a good restoration project for somebody,if i remember correctly [i could be wrong]but i think it was or is a thornycroft

Leyland Martian? It looks restorable.

that’s by the landrover sales place at taunton, pretty sure its a thornycroft :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Give Landroverman a call, they may not own it but might know who does.

goo.gl/maps/C4p5Y

Here you go.

It looks like a diamond t wrecker poor thing sat there rusting away going the same way as my old bosses one is

See this one getting some fresh air, south of th m25.
Won’t be specific as the owner may not approve.

Geezah:
Google Maps

Here you go.

cheers chap

Muckaway:

probably take a fair bit of money from someone but i reckon it would be worth it

Angus25:
It looks like a diamond t wrecker poor thing sat there rusting away going the same way as my old bosses one is

hopefully someone will take pity on it

bazstan009:

See this one getting some fresh air, south of th m25.
Won’t be specific as the owner may not approve.

big old beast

The big, white thing? Been there for years!

It doesn’t belong to the sales place next door and the guy has no idea who’s it is (I asked in 2004).

Somebody must own it though. Perhaps it belongs to the owner of the field as the weeds are regularly cut back from it.

truckman20:

Muckaway:

probably take a fair bit of money from someone but i reckon it would be worth it

A labour of love, a project for the recently retired, something to keep grandad from under grandma’s feet yet still be a hero to the grandkids.

I doubt it was parked up without a major & expensive fault, but anything can be restored. All it takes is one mans determination, lots of resources & probably lots of money.

It’ll be worth slightly less than SFA, but that’s not the point. One day someone will drag it out & chuck 1000’s of hours & £1000’s of pounds at it, they’ll not get anything back 'cos it will never have any real monetary value. Except for the pride of standing slightly to one side while a few folk give it a cursory glance in the vintage section of some show or other.

I love seeing old trucks because I love chatting to the chaps responsible for them still being out & about.

Looks like an old EX ARMY Leyland 10 TONE 6 Wheeler…I remember when we had 1 at Colchester in 1984…if you search R.E.M.E museum they will have a picture of one .or google british army Leyland recovery vehicles

That holmes wrecking gear must be worth a few quid…that thing dosn’t need any MOT or TAX so for maybe
£100 a year insurance you’ve a fair play toy.
John

My understanding is that it belongs to the Taylor family who own the garage between Cartgate and Podimore.

I was told the story by one of the old and bold at my old firm. They went out on a job and it broke. Was never recovered and was dragged to the field and left.

If you’ve ever been into that garage you’ll see a collection of old wreckers all in ■■■■ order. He won’t sell any of them despite the fact he’s half way to skint and they’re just rusting away.