Would your boss do this?

My Manager talked to me this afternoon. He set a Driver on this week who has just passed his test last week.
Our Manager sent this new guy out as Second Man with easily the toughest and most expirianced driver in our outfit.
Sadly, our new driver didn’t come up to scratch. With no expiriance of any kind of large vehicle, including caravans, it must of been hard. The fella just hasn’t got the knack… yet.
My Manager asked my opinion. I’m afraid to say if Bob thought he wasn’t good enough then neither did I.
I suggested six months on Agency then try him again.
I’m just writing this to let New Drivers out there know, there is fair employers out there. Just keep looking…
Al

Don’t sound very fair. The boss knew he was inexperienced and then used it against him.

A full weeks paid driving assessment? What more do you want?
I’m sad this fella didn’t make it and I’m sure that after six months of knocking lumps off other folks wagons, he’ll be fine.
Don’t forget, It was Bob and me who said he wasn’t good enough. Not our Manager.
Perhaps you do not understand the phrase “Second Man”?
Al

Most new drivers are actually better then driver who have been on road for 10 yrs and for old drivers to say tehy are not good enough is not fair, just becuase you have a few more years under the belt wont mean your a better driver then him.

Fair enough, but like I said, we gave him a weeks fair go, under the constant supervision of the best driver in the firm.
Not exactly a two hour power trip with some power mad tester that I have read about on TNUK.
I have posted this because I would like other new drivers to know that there are firms who will give them a chance. I’m surprised that you can find a negative in this?
Al

It’s good he was given a chance but maybe he could have been given a bit of training. Some guys will pick things up quick.
No I don’t know exactly what second man entails, just giving an opinion mate.

AlexWignall:
I suggested six months on Agency then try him again.

This coupled with the initial trial sounds fair enough to me.

discoman:
Most new drivers are actually better then driver who have been on road for 10 yrs and for old drivers to say tehy are not good enough is not fair, just becuase you have a few more years under the belt wont mean your a better driver then him.

Hi discoman,

Is it possible that you’re looking at the word ‘driver’ a bit too closely?

It’s possibly a fair point that a newly qualified driver may have less DSA type driving faults that could have crept into a more seasoned driver’s driving, but then that’s the difference between driving to pass the DSA test, and post-test driving when it all gets serious and the guy is asked to carry a load and perform a variety of other duties.

:bulb: There’s a whole set of additional skills that a newly qualified driver has to learn before he/she dares to call themselves a “driver.” :wink:

Of course, a new driver needs time to learn everything that’s expected, but maybe in this particular instance the raw material wasn’t of the best quality, or maybe the particular job is particularly difficult to learn.
From the info given, I reckon the company treated the new guy quite fairly.

I’d be happy with that scenario. In theory I’m an HGV driver with 10 years experience - but in fact I haven’t driven a wagon regularly for about 10 years. I’ve got a LOT to (re)learn, and I’m gonna need some really good luck to find a chance like the OP’s firm. Ringing round the local firms and agencies tomorrow, now that I’ve got my licence & digi-card in my hot little hands. :smiley:
Wish me luck…

Good luck Sarge,

I can’t say our firm is perfect but at least it is run by human beings. After some of the horror stories I’ve read on here I’m glad I can mention something positive.

I’d say go round your local firms in person with your details to hand. That way you can weigh them up a bit too.

I went for a job once but when I saw the gormless dollopers in the planning office, I chucked the application form in the bin on the way to my car.

Good luck again, Al

Message for the Moderators.

I started this topic with the genuine intention to highlight a positive incident that happened at my work. On reflection I feel that I have embarassed a fellow workmate. Is it possible to remove this topic from TNUK?

Best Regards, Alex

discoman:

Well as Wimbledon comes upon us again, I have to say…“You cannot be serious!” :laughing:

AlexWignall:
Message for the Moderators.

I started this topic with the genuine intention to highlight a positive incident that happened at my work. On reflection I feel that I have embarassed a fellow workmate. Is it possible to remove this topic from TNUK?

Best Regards, Alex

I can’t see where you’ve embarrassed a workmate :confused: The guy was asked for his (valued) opinion and gave it - as he was correct to do IMO. If this does disappear, you HAVE highlighted a positive view of your workplace. Just so’s you know :slight_smile: