Would You Trust This?

Would you really trust this system?

youtube.com/user/roadtranspo … 8fkNjU2YyQ

Well I wouldn’t rely on it, but it’s not designed to be used instead of braking, it’s a good safety feature & has to be better than running up the back of somebody who suddenly stops while you’re tuning the radio/lighting a ■■■/looking at the legs of the bird in the car in the next lane/etc, I think I’d rather have it than not.

I was thinking that, it would take away that thinking distance that could make the difference between crashing and not.

Would have to remember to turn it on though :slight_smile:

Well if you do crash, You can blame the computer, like they do at the bank, or inland revenue, etc.
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZAoMv_QnAU

newmercman:
Well I wouldn’t rely on it, but it’s not designed to be used instead of braking, it’s a good safety feature & has to be better than running up the back of somebody who suddenly stops while you’re tuning the radio/lighting a ■■■/looking at the legs of the bird in the car in the next lane/etc, I think I’d rather have it than not.

Theoretically yes, good idea. But, what happens when, for example, it’s lashing it down with snow and the sensors get covered up?

All this fancy technology is good in theory and will no doubt work wonders in perfect conditions, but it’s when some crap gets stuck in the sensor holes or some spanner monkey at the dealer gouges a hole in the wiring with his screwdriver without realising, later causing a short or something that would concern me. I prefer to use the eyes I was born with rather than rely on a PC to tell me what’s in front of me. :open_mouth:

With this fitted and the CC wired up to the GPS it won’t be long before we are all redundant.

I was watching this version the other day…a tenner says they car driver was ■■■■■■■ melons :laughing: :laughing:
(i want a trailer that pops them out when it starts going pear shaped)

youtube.com/watch?v=9-x72GNN … re=related

Then i came across this MAN one…how did he keep that straight towards the end…good bit of driving unless there is some sort of anti-jack device fitted…

youtube.com/watch?v=AHvoPJrX … re=related

There was a Scania one as well but the driving wasn’t as good…typical really :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Think it is a good idea but as has been said,will it still work with a few years worth of snot n dribble under it’s belt

Will_161:
Would you really trust this system?

youtube.com/user/roadtranspo … 8fkNjU2YyQ

Definitely NO.

I saw the presentation of that system by volvo for the press:

I wonder it the anti rollover ( electronic stability) device will work in strong winds too? not that i would trust it completely, makes you wonder why it has taken so long to develop some of these things,As for the auto braking, very sceptical about that one as different weather conditions and road surfaces also play a big part in braking,for it to be failsafe , but overall some good idea’s

Rob K:
Theoretically yes, good idea. But, what happens when, for example, it’s lashing it down with snow and the sensors get covered up?

I guess you can switch it off using the switch provided (you can see it at the very beginning of the movie).

Impressed, but like the way the horn sounds…just in case!

Rob K:

newmercman:

All this fancy technology is good in theory and will no doubt work wonders in perfect conditions, but it’s when some crap gets stuck in the sensor holes or some spanner monkey at the dealer gouges a hole in the wiring with his screwdriver without realising, later causing a short or something that would concern me. I prefer to use the eyes I was born with rather than rely on a PC to tell me what’s in front of me. :open_mouth:

I hear you, but it doesn’t matter how many safety devices are fitted to your vehicle, you should still drive it according to the road conditions.

This concept is a good idea, even in the Volvo car thing that Orys put on, in may not have stopped the car in time, but it slowed it down a lot & reduced the severity of the impact.

Put it this way, you’ve just come to a stop on the motorway with your family in the car, there’s a knobhead in a lorry behind you filming himself dancing for youtube, he isn’t watching the road, would you rather he had this device fitted or not? I know I would much rather he had it :wink:

I prefer the Volvo system too. The Merc would be awful to drive for the next few days with brown adrenalin running down the seat :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems you can turn it off, but if you do forget on an icy night, then you are going to end up meeting yourself on the opposite carriageway

newmercman:
Put it this way, you’ve just come to a stop on the motorway with your family in the car, there’s a knobhead in a lorry behind you filming himself dancing for youtube, he isn’t watching the road, would you rather he had this device fitted or not? I know I would much rather he had it :wink:

Yeah, but that’s the different question:
Would I prefere that other vehicles have this fitted? Yes
Do I trust it? No.

It’s like:
Do I trust a 50 years old parachute? No
Would I prefere to have it over having none when my plane is falling down? Yes :slight_smile:

this is the same one they fit to the cars then ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Does it not occur to anyone else that the reason for all these gadgets is to allow the idiots on the road to continue driving like boobies and our equipment will cover for them? If the general driver education systems were to teach people in cars how to drive safely, and the police were to make sure that people did, then none of this would be necessary.

I particularly dislike the gadget that backs off the truck when some foll carves you up… Can you imagine that on a UK motorway?

right I see, car “A” cuts me up, the brake assist kicks in I stop, wagon / car behind smashes in the back of me. Car “A” drives off not got a clue what just happened. Truck drivers all over the country get sacked for crashing! :cry: :cry: :cry:

chris mc:
right I see, car “A” cuts me up, the brake assist kicks in I stop, wagon / car behind smashes in the back of me. Car “A” drives off not got a clue what just happened. Truck drivers all over the country get sacked for crashing! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry, but why would vyou get sacked for someone driving into the back of you??
they should have kept a safe distance behind you